Why do I have flat/rocker boards? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
My professional opinion. Rocker blows...

The day I see anybody on a timed run of any kind (BX, alpine, etc.) running on anything but a camber board, I might start to think about changing my opinion. These guys are blasting at high speeds on hardpack and ice. The run camber.

I watched a guy on rocker skis last year going through some crud. His tips and tails were bouncing so much I thought he was going to go-go-gadget helicopter and fly right on our of there! Not for me thanks!
Actually most hard boot carve board guys decks in BX/Alpine have a rockered nose.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Actually most hard boot carve board guys decks in BX/Alpine have a rockered nose.
Fair enough, and the advanced freeride boards I'm looking at also have a rockered nose (Kessler Ride, etc.). But they're still primarily cambered boards. I could see the camber with "lifted tips" profile being okay but it's still camber a heart!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Fair enough, and the advanced freeride boards I'm looking at also have a rockered nose (Kessler Ride, etc.). But they're still primarily cambered boards. I could see the camber with "lifted tips" profile being okay but it's still camber a heart!
I normally count cam/rock/cam (c2) and rock/cam/rock as comber boards just based on how they feel to me. I like all of the profiles that have some element of camber to them.

Last edited by ParkShredder; 11-03-2012 at 11:25 AM.
ParkShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wink rocker-flat(or cam)-rocker all the way.

Owned a:
Ride Society (camber)
k2 turbo dream (rocker)
Arbor Coda (progressive rocker - more in the middle then tapers out, I think)
Burton Custom Flying V *terrible terrible TERRIBLE board* (cam-rock-cam aka flying V)
NS Proto CT (cam-rock-cam, but less pronounced than the Custom)

What I found out:
Camber RIPS, but doesn't float nor is it as playful as more hybrid rocker decks these days.
Rocker is "fun" and floaty, but lacks some pop and stability at speed, as well as some rebound. The Coda did a much better job at fixing these rocker issues than the Turbo (from 3 years ago..).
Custom Flying V... UGH. sloppiest, least edge hold, sketchy ass board. just, no.
NS and Mervin do a much better job than Burton with this type of tech. Hense, why I ended up with a Proto after demoing both brands. BUT... I do not like how the rocker between the feet provides a flex pattern to the boards that do not 'flow' throughout the board. It's unnatural and stops flexing where the camber kicks in. Yes, this provides pop and rebound, but its just not consistent throughout the board, IMO... Pop comes from the middle of the deck too, not just the tip and tail. These shapes can make buttering unnatural and awkward.

Soo... my solution, and favorite tech (thus far), is what Ride, K2, Rome and many other brands are doing: rocker-flat(slight cam)-rocker. This provides natural board flex patterns that extent throughout the board and not just in the middle. Pop and rebound have been compensated by the adding of tech such as pop rods, pop walls, and ollie bars(this specific tech being preloaded with camber=awesome). "micro-camber" between the bindings also helps solve some of these issues, which still getting the float, playfulness and natural flex of your deck. Add some minimal edge hold tech (or not...) and boom, a non-wavy noodle shaped board that OWNS.

my $.02
iNeedPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
Google is your friend...

If thats too much work for you, go here: For Those About To Rocker (We Salute You) - How To Choose The Right Rockered Snowboard

It's the first thing that comes up when doing a search for "camber vs. rocker"...
What a prick
xxxxxxxxxxDarkDrive00 is offline   Reply With Quote