Why do I have flat/rocker boards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do I have flat/rocker boards?

Ok so here's the deal. I would say I'm an intermediate/advanced all mt. rider (blacks and double blacks) and something less than that in the park. After renting shitty soft cheap camber decks, I bought a ride antic last year. On the ice I found it unrideable, and I could barely carve at all on it; I really just hated it. Then I high cascade this summer I got myself back on camber (forum holy moly ii, youngblood doubledog, t rice pro) and rode like I never was able to with rocker. Then I got myself back on a DC PBJ(flat/rocker) for a day to see if it was just the ride antic that I didn't like. It wasn't. I was sliding everywhere and couldn't ride for shit. My question is, is there something mechanically wrong with my riding that doesn't go well with flat/rocker boards, or are they just not meant for carving groomers and are better straight-lining runs?

EDIT: The title should say "Why do I hate" NOT "Why do I have"

Last edited by ParkShredder; 11-02-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
ParkShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Google is your friend...

If thats too much work for you, go here: For Those About To Rocker (We Salute You) - How To Choose The Right Rockered Snowboard

It's the first thing that comes up when doing a search for "camber vs. rocker"...
Dysantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

My professional opinion. Rocker blows...

The day I see anybody on a timed run of any kind (BX, alpine, etc.) running on anything but a camber board, I might start to think about changing my opinion. These guys are blasting at high speeds on hardpack and ice. The run camber.

I watched a guy on rocker skis last year going through some crud. His tips and tails were bouncing so much I thought he was going to go-go-gadget helicopter and fly right on our of there! Not for me thanks!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just think it is not for everyone. I road traditonal camber up until last year, when I picked up a Flying-V shaped board from Burton. My first day out on it, I thought I had made a huge mistake. But by the end of the day I had learned how to adjust my riding style, and it felt much more comfortable. After riding it for the rest of the season, I determined that it had it's time and place, but that I preferred camber, or at least mostly-camber hyrbrid shapes.

Anyways, my point is that it's all preference. If you shred better on a camber deck, then keep it classic. No need to hop on something that doesn't suit you.
super-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
My professional opinion. Rocker blows...

The day I see anybody on a timed run of any kind (BX, alpine, etc.) running on anything but a camber board, I might start to think about changing my opinion.
There is this little race run up in the PNW for the last few seasons (twenty-something), maybe you heard of it. The Mt. Baker Banked Slalom. Quite a few of those guys run rockers and hybrids. The guys on Alpine and BX set-ups tend to get beaten by guys on regular old snowboards every single year at that event.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
There is this little race run up in the PNW for the last few seasons (twenty-something), maybe you heard of it. The Mt. Baker Banked Slalom. Quite a few of those guys run rockers and hybrids. The guys on Alpine and BX set-ups tend to get beaten by guys on regular old snowboards every single year at that event.
I'm pretty sure Temple Cummins won Mt. Baker on a billy goat (camber).
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-rad View Post
I just think it is not for everyone. I road traditonal camber up until last year, when I picked up a Flying-V shaped board from Burton. My first day out on it, I thought I had made a huge mistake. But by the end of the day I had learned how to adjust my riding style, and it felt much more comfortable. After riding it for the rest of the season, I determined that it had it's time and place, but that I preferred camber, or at least mostly-camber hyrbrid shapes.

Anyways, my point is that it's all preference. If you shred better on a camber deck, then keep it classic. No need to hop on something that doesn't suit you.
That's why I say get two boards, one camber and one hybrid or rocker, match board to conditions
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I prefer a hybrid like Mervin's C2BTX and Neversummer's profile. Both have camber under the bindings and rocker between the feet. This makes these boards float better in powder and wet heavy snow, they have increased agility in tigh trees, they negotiate moguls better and when tilted on edge, they carve just as well as ant traditional camber.
Is this profile similar to Burton's Flying-V? When looking at my Process Flying-V laying flat, the tips are raised up. The overall shape is rocker, with a little camber kink under the bindings. I've been curious to try Never Summer given all the positive reviews, but I'm not 100% sold on this profile on my Burton. Hopefully I'll get to try NS at the East Coast meetup this year and find out for myself. If NS and C2BTX are different, how so?
super-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-rad View Post
Is this profile similar to Burton's Flying-V? When looking at my Process Flying-V laying flat, the tips are raised up. The overall shape is rocker, with a little camber kink under the bindings. I've been curious to try Never Summer given all the positive reviews, but I'm not 100% sold on this profile on my Burton. Hopefully I'll get to try NS at the East Coast meetup this year and find out for myself. If NS and C2BTX are different, how so?
I think flying v has more rocker than hybrids from never summer, mervin, rome, and forum(even thought they are the same company) boards. I've never ridden NS but I can attest to the similarity between C2BTX and Froum's doubledog.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Land of the Potato

I have a low rise rocker on one of my boards, however that board comes out on pow and good snow days, where I don't worry about skidding around. I honestly don't have much input on how a rocker board rides on hard pack or groomers, but dam does it float and turn like a dream in the pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote