n00b "which board" thread (be gentle) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Planet Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 46
Default n00b "which board" thread (be gentle)

Okay, I'm a n00b, but I'll try to provide as much info as possible.

I prefer an all-mountain board. I'm about 90% mountain, 10% park and I mainly do small booters and rails in the park.

I'm 5'10", 197 lbs and I started riding in the late 90s, but took a few years off in the mid 2000s. Just started back up a couple of years ago, fortunately and bizarrely, with little loss of skill, save for maybe some landings.

I mainly ride Summit County (A-Basin and Keystone) and Eldora (season pass). Haven't bought a new board in YEARS - still riding my trusty old 158 Ride Timeless (so I prefer a stiff, all mountain board).

The dude at the shop in Boulder narrowed it down to the following for me, given what I stated above:

Forum Holy Moly
Ride Machete
Jones Mountain Twin
Salomon Man's board

All were 158 or 159 and he chose those because he thought camber or hybrid camber was best for me.

I've done some searches here and some research elsewhere and, to me, it seems like the Forum is more of a park board? I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Anyway, if I've missed anything, please tell me and I'll provide. I'm a schmucky n00b, so I expect I left out some crucial info somewhere.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,408
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
Okay, I'm a n00b, but I'll try to provide as much info as possible.

I prefer an all-mountain board. I'm about 90% mountain, 10% park and I mainly do small booters and rails in the park.

I'm 5'10", 197 lbs and I started riding in the late 90s, but took a few years off in the mid 2000s. Just started back up a couple of years ago, fortunately and bizarrely, with little loss of skill, save for maybe some landings.

I mainly ride Summit County (A-Basin and Keystone) and Eldora (season pass). Haven't bought a new board in YEARS - still riding my trusty old 158 Ride Timeless (so I prefer a stiff, all mountain board).

The dude at the shop in Boulder narrowed it down to the following for me, given what I stated above:

Forum Holy Moly
Ride Machete
Jones Mountain Twin
Salomon Man's board

All were 158 or 159 and he chose those because he thought camber or hybrid camber was best for me.

I've done some searches here and some research elsewhere and, to me, it seems like the Forum is more of a park board? I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Anyway, if I've missed anything, please tell me and I'll provide. I'm a schmucky n00b, so I expect I left out some crucial info somewhere.
your riding history is pretty similar to mine with the hiatus in the early 2000s and getting back in to it later in life (except you ride bigger mountains) and you're about the same size so FWIW here's my take:

Machete is probably softer than you want if you're interested in keeping a relatively stiff board. Ditto that for the Holy Moly (if you're talking about this year's HM II; I didn't ride prior year's Holy Moly) although that one feels a bit stiffer underfoot than the Machete. Did not ride the Jones. The Man's board might be what you're looking for out of this bunch although I would not really consider it a rails board it will be plenty fine for you on jumps.
This board is definitely a strong all-mountain bordering on the slackcountry freeride side. This board is going to work best for someone who wants a fast, stable, predictable cambered board (so yeah I mean old guys over 30) to go fast, hit natural terrain, cliff/rock drops, etc. Upper-intermediate to advanced all-mountain riders only, the Man’s Board is too much board for beginners.
That's my summary but here's the full review if interested. I should have a review of the Machete posted already not sure if I've written the Holy Moly review yet though.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Planet Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
your riding history is pretty similar to mine with the hiatus in the early 2000s and getting back in to it later in life (except you ride bigger mountains) and you're about the same size so FWIW here's my take:

Machete is probably softer than you want if you're interested in keeping a relatively stiff board. Ditto that for the Holy Moly (if you're talking about this year's HM II; I didn't ride prior year's Holy Moly) although that one feels a bit stiffer underfoot than the Machete. Did not ride the Jones. The Man's board might be what you're looking for out of this bunch although I would not really consider it a rails board it will be plenty fine for you on jumps.
This board is definitely a strong all-mountain bordering on the slackcountry freeride side. This board is going to work best for someone who wants a fast, stable, predictable cambered board (so yeah I mean old guys over 30) to go fast, hit natural terrain, cliff/rock drops, etc. Upper-intermediate to advanced all-mountain riders only, the Manís Board is too much board for beginners.
That's my summary but here's the full review if interested. I should have a review of the Machete posted already not sure if I've written the Holy Moly review yet though.
Appreciate the good advice, man. So, out of curiosity, is there a Ride model that would suit my needs more? How about a Forum model?
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,408
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
Appreciate the good advice, man. So, out of curiosity, is there a Ride model that would suit my needs more? How about a Forum model?
hmmm i didn't ride many Forums actually the HMII might have been the only one.

Ride DH2 might be a good option I know it's listed as a "park/pipe" board but don't let that fool you it's definitely not a noodly jib board it's a pretty aggressive, stable, hard-charger. The Machete GT might also be a good match for you I didn't ride that one but Leo did so there's a full review of that board on my site too. This video comparison from Ride might help you narrow it down between those two boards.

david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Planet Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 46
Default

So, after much deliberation, research, what-have-you, I decided to take a different tack. Instead of going for one board which matched my needs of many moons ago, I decided to sort of "branch out" and try some new technology as the price appeared right for being able to do so.

I went ahead and snagged a Rossi Jibsaw for $179 from Evo because, hell, that's a pretty hard price to beat for what appears to be a good board with which to try out a twin, hybrid camber board that can actually let me do a bit more in the way of jumps & such.

So, in the vein of keeping things relatively inexpensive and adding another type of board to the quiver, I'm now looking for something that is more freeride-oriented (though not necessarily in strict accordance with my previously stated requirements - doesn't have to be super stiff or traditional camber).

I'm still looking at Forums, but, from what I can gather, none seem to really be suited for the more freeride-oriented experience. Is this accurate or is there one which could suit? I know I mentioned the Holy Moly, but it seems to be more park-oriented. Is the same true for the Destroyer (looking at a 2012 model)?

Another board I've seen at decent prices which might suit is the Technine MVP. Anyone have any thoughts on that for what I'm looking for? Oh, and I'm still considering the Rides mentioned in the post above.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
So, after much deliberation, research, what-have-you, I decided to take a different tack. Instead of going for one board which matched my needs of many moons ago, I decided to sort of "branch out" and try some new technology as the price appeared right for being able to do so.

I went ahead and snagged a Rossi Jibsaw for $179 from Evo because, hell, that's a pretty hard price to beat for what appears to be a good board with which to try out a twin, hybrid camber board that can actually let me do a bit more in the way of jumps & such.

So, in the vein of keeping things relatively inexpensive and adding another type of board to the quiver, I'm now looking for something that is more freeride-oriented (though not necessarily in strict accordance with my previously stated requirements - doesn't have to be super stiff or traditional camber).

I'm still looking at Forums, but, from what I can gather, none seem to really be suited for the more freeride-oriented experience. Is this accurate or is there one which could suit? I know I mentioned the Holy Moly, but it seems to be more park-oriented. Is the same true for the Destroyer (looking at a 2012 model)?

Another board I've seen at decent prices which might suit is the Technine MVP. Anyone have any thoughts on that for what I'm looking for? Oh, and I'm still considering the Rides mentioned in the post above.

Forum doesn't really do freeride, you could get their most all mountain-y freestyle board in and that may work for you though.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Planet Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
Forum doesn't really do freeride, you could get their most all mountain-y freestyle board in and that may work for you though.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was kind of figurin', but what the hell. The one thing I don't want to do is duplicate my Jibsaw as I would like some variety.

Any thoughts on that Technine MVP?
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KungMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 159
Default

Check out the Libtech TRS or Phoenix.
KungMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Planet Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
Check out the Libtech TRS or Phoenix.
I would love to pick up a Lib Tech - really would. But I'm trying to keep my cost down a bit, now that I've already picked up that Jibsaw.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Default

Machete GT
Nitro Blacklight or Pantera
/endthread
protechjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums