Looking for New Board (Cobra, Raptor, Premier F1) - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Going from the Evo to the Premier has to be the worst idea I could think of. I could spit in a snowboard shop 99% of the time it would land on a better option that the Premier. The Heritage would be better than the Premier, and the Cobra more so.

I can see the Cobra. That could be a viable option, but you can still make belly dragging carves on an SL. The flex/damp ratings are the same, but the Cobra is designed with powder in mind. The SL will be more viable in the park but will shine on groomers. You would be good with either. If you tend to ride more powder and big runs, go cobra. If you want to get more in to jumping and boxes and riding SWITCH but still want stability on bombing runs, get the SL.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuss37 View Post
The resorts I go to are typically Keystone, Breckenridge, and Vail. I prefer powder, but there wasn't much of it last year. I'm hoping for more pow this year and that's what I prefer to ride, but want something good for pow and groomers...basically all-mountain right?
No... all-mountain stands for "all-mountain freestyle" (unfortunate that it is so ambiguous)... what you are describe is freeriding (groomers and pow). I have owned the Evo, the SL and now the Proto.

I'm one of those people who do "belly dragging carves on an SL" that BigmountainVMD is referring to... but I ride the SL 155 in the park as well.

If you are going to keep your Evo, I would go for the Heritage over the SL... I haven't ridden the Premier, but at your ability level I worry it might be too much board for you (too stiff for you).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Can anyone speak to the difference between the Cobra and Heritage? Another I've considered is the K2 Ultra Dream. I don't think I'll go with the raptor or F1, probably too stiff for me at this point.
The Cobra is similar to the SL from what I've read, with a different shape.

I believe, and Snowolf will comment on this, that his feedback with the Heritage specifically (or indirectly) led to the Cobra shape. Which has a spade tail for great powder performance. It was the one thing he didn't think was great about the Heritage (powder).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
The Cobra is a pow board, so not the best choice unless thats all you are riding.
No it is not, it is a powder-friendly all-mountain board.
The Summit is NS's powder board.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
The Cobra is similar to the SL from what I've read, with a different shape.

I believe, and Snowolf will comment on this, that his feedback with the Heritage specifically (or indirectly) led to the Cobra shape. Which has a spade tail for great powder performance. It was the one thing he didn't think was great about the Heritage (powder).
That's odd... because this is what I got back from Never Summer in an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Summer
The Heritage is going to be similar to a slightly stiffer and more aggressive version of the SL. It is an all-mountain board in our Carbonium lineup and can handle any type of terrain. The Cobra is going to be similar to the Proto CT with some characteristics of the all-mountain boards. It is a slightly setback directional board with blunted tip/tail and sidecuts like the Proto. You can think of it as a mix between an all-mountain board and a stiff park board. With that being said, you may like the Heritage if you are looking for something to ride mostly in the powder and big mountain areas!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Good news. I found out there is a demo day at Loveland on Saturday. I am going to do that as Never Summer and K2 will be there. I am leaning towards the Cobra but I do want to look at the Heritage and SL. I figure I will also check out the K2 Ultra Dream. I have heard great things about that and it looks like it has better edge hold on hard pack than NS and is also amazing in powder.

Anyone have any thoughts on the ultra dream?

I would consider selling my NS Evo and going with the SL if I just grab one board, but if I keep the Evo, I'm likely to get the Cobra/Heritage/Ultra Dream.
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good news. I found out there is a demo day at Loveland on Saturday. I am going to do that as Never Summer and K2 will be there. I am leaning towards the Cobra but I do want to look at the Heritage and SL. I figure I will also check out the K2 Ultra Dream. I have heard great things about that and it looks like it has better edge hold on hard pack than NS and is also amazing in powder.

Anyone have any thoughts on the ultra dream?

I would consider selling my NS Evo and going with the SL if I just grab one board, but if I keep the Evo, I'm likely to get the Cobra/Heritage/Ultra Dream.
Sounds perfect for you. I agree the Evo is too much like the SL (I plan on getting rid of my 2009 SL now that I have a 2012 Proto and am considering a getting Heritage/Premier sometime in the future)

Let us know what you think! I have ridden the Evo, SL, Proto and Summit - but haven't gotten a chance to try out the Cobra, Heritage, or Premier.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
That's odd... because this is what I got back from Never Summer in an email
Yeah I know what they say, and it may be true because of the carbonium. But the dampening is on another level above the Proto from everything that is written.

Even BA called it the SL/Legacy on crack.

Dampening and Flex are both 5, on both SL/Legacy and Cobra/X. That's why I make that comparison.

I see the Proto as a souped up Evo. Same dampening, same shape, both twins etc.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Yeah I know what they say, and it may be true because of the carbonium. But the dampening is on another level above the Proto from everything that is written.

Even BA called it the SL/Legacy on crack.

Dampening and Flex are both 5, on both SL/Legacy and Cobra/X. That's why I make that comparison.

I see the Proto as a souped up Evo. Same dampening, same shape, both twins etc.
That's what it felt like to me when I rode both the Proto and Evo at the demo day.

BA did say that... but he has also said the follow regarding the Cobra.
Quote:
Think of it as a directional Proto honestly Id recommend buying something else if youre going to freeride or slash pow.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I.e, a lot of boards in the NS lineup are pretty close to each other

Evo>Proto>SL>Cobra>Heritage.

Just an evolution of each board. Ideally you wouldn't have any two boards unless there were at least two in between.

Just go to a different brand ... like a Westmark and a Cobra