Looking for New Board (Cobra, Raptor, Premier F1) - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

I agree with you totally. Only reason I learned to carve properly is because my second board purchase in my 4th season was an Arbor A-frame... because I thought that's what I needed... very unforgiving, but forced me to have proper technique.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I agree with you totally. Only reason I learned to carve properly is because my second board purchase in my 4th season was an Arbor A-frame... because I thought that's what I needed... very unforgiving, but forced me to have proper technique.
Those older A-frames were solid... in all meanings of the word.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Yeah I definitely need to get someone to watch me and comment on my technique. Any of you guys ride in Colorado?

Can't wait for Saturday. Looks like some snow is coming to the Rockies Sat/Sun so should be good for demoing these boards!
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Those older A-frames were solid... in all meanings of the word.
Yeah I don't know if I should sell it or make a bench out of it. The wood grain would make for a damn beautiful bench!
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Ok, so I went to Loveland for demo day. We got probably 2-4 inches of snow. Conditions were OK, a little icy in spots and the skiers made some killer moguls that were hard to see when it was white-out conditions.

I demoed:

Heritage 158
I don't know what to say about the Heritage. I liked it, I felt like I had more control. However, it was the first board I tried and wish I could have tried it again at the end, but I ran out of time.

Ultra Dream 158
My first run with the ultra dream was great. I didn't catch any edges and it felt really good. I took a break for lunch and picked it back up and was having some trouble controlling it. Turning was definitely different than with a never summer. I could see this one shining on the powder.

Cobra 161
My favorite board of the day. I felt like I had so much control and could carve over the ice without flinching. The board seemed heavy, but I really liked it.

SL 155
The SL was smaller than I wanted, but the only size that was available. It felt a lot like my Evo with a little more stability. I did like this one, but definitely feels too similar to my Evo.

On Sunday I went to Breck and played with my Evo. Man, I love that thing...I love the pop it has and how easy it is to turn. I did notice the edge hold on it seems a little bad over icy areas. The board is so playful that I am not sure if I want to get rid of it.

All in all...I have no idea what I'm going to do...haha
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuss37 View Post
Ok, so I went to Loveland for demo day. We got probably 2-4 inches of snow. Conditions were OK, a little icy in spots and the skiers made some killer moguls that were hard to see when it was white-out conditions.

I demoed:

Heritage 158
I don't know what to say about the Heritage. I liked it, I felt like I had more control. However, it was the first board I tried and wish I could have tried it again at the end, but I ran out of time.

Ultra Dream 158
My first run with the ultra dream was great. I didn't catch any edges and it felt really good. I took a break for lunch and picked it back up and was having some trouble controlling it. Turning was definitely different than with a never summer. I could see this one shining on the powder.

Cobra 161
My favorite board of the day. I felt like I had so much control and could carve over the ice without flinching. The board seemed heavy, but I really liked it.

SL 155
The SL was smaller than I wanted, but the only size that was available. It felt a lot like my Evo with a little more stability. I did like this one, but definitely feels too similar to my Evo.

On Sunday I went to Breck and played with my Evo. Man, I love that thing...I love the pop it has and how easy it is to turn. I did notice the edge hold on it seems a little bad over icy areas. The board is so playful that I am not sure if I want to get rid of it.

All in all...I have no idea what I'm going to do...haha
Lol... well now you have about as much information as you can possible get for making a decision (nothing beats first-hand experience). The reality is that there are a LOT OF BOARDS THAT ARE FUN TO RIDE... so it really is just about picking a board (or seven ) that will match you personal preferences.

Good luck!

Last edited by lonerider; 11-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Yeah man, that was pretty much my realization. I am happy with all the boards. I have to make a choice by Nov 25 because that's when my $100 off voucher expires. I really don't think I can go wrong between the Cobra, Heritage, and Ultra Dream.
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuss37 View Post
Yeah man, that was pretty much my realization. I am happy with all the boards. I have to make a choice by Nov 25 because that's when my $100 off voucher expires. I really don't think I can go wrong between the Cobra, Heritage, and Ultra Dream.
I think I read in a thread here that the Ultra Dream is a powder board that can do freeriding. The Cobra is also sort of a playful freeride board that is shaped specifically for powder. The Heritage is a twin shape (good for switch riding) and has a lot more dampening (which is good for when the snow is crappy/choppy) than the other two boards.

So one way to help decide is ask yourself where/when are you going to be using this new board? Personally, I typically ride park when the snow conditions are crappy as the groomed/raked snow there is actually decent... so while I was really eyeing the Heritage myself... MAYBE drop it off the list.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I think I read in a thread here that the Ultra Dream is a powder board that can do freeriding. The Cobra is also sort of a playful freeride board that is shaped specifically for powder. The Heritage is a twin shape (good for switch riding) and has a lot more dampening (which is good for when the snow is crappy/choppy) than the other two boards.

So one way to help decide is ask yourself where/when are you going to be using this new board? Personally, I typically ride park when the snow conditions are crappy as the groomed/raked snow there is actually decent... so while I was really eyeing the Heritage myself... MAYBE drop it off the list.
I'm eyeing another board...the YES Pick your line. Though, I am not sure if they have it at the board shop I went to so maybe it isn't an option.

I agree, I'm probably leaning towards the Cobra right now. It is pretty sick. I think the Ultra Dream is sick too, but it is probably going to throw me off with the different board style.
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Got the Cobra 158 today. I might go give it a ride on Sunday, but the conditions in Colorado are really crappy machine-made snow. I hope we get some snow in December...
ghuss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums