Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for New Board (Cobra, Raptor, Premier F1) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/50849-looking-new-board-cobra-raptor-premier.html)

ghuss37 11-04-2012 06:52 PM

Looking for New Board (Cobra, Raptor, Premier F1)

I am a 2nd season rider. I am definitely still in the beginner intermediate category. I bought an Evo as my first board and have been having a ton of fun with it. My Evo tends to get a bit out of control when I try to go fast. I'm sure I'm mostly limited by my skill and not my board right now, but I'd like to get a 2nd board that I can use as a more all-mountain board. Is there a good never summer board for all-mountain conditions? I basically love riding powder, but when powder is not available I tend to ride the groomers, trees, and sometimes ice, haha...

Right now I have been looking at the following:

Cobra
Raptor
Premier F1

I'm 5'10" 180lbs

photocycler 11-04-2012 07:27 PM

Are u keeping the evo if so maybe a heritage if not a cobra

ghuss37 11-04-2012 08:00 PM

Yeah, I will definitely be keeping the evo. The evo has a ton of pop and someday I'd like to get into the rails/jumps but not yet. Heritage looks like a decent option too.

djjimmyhat 11-05-2012 12:37 AM

I vote heritage if you're sticking with NS.

ghuss37 11-05-2012 11:37 AM

Can anyone speak to the difference between the Cobra and Heritage? Another I've considered is the K2 Ultra Dream. I don't think I'll go with the raptor or F1, probably too stiff for me at this point.

BigmountainVMD 11-05-2012 12:12 PM

I wouldn't expect a new board to all of a sudden make you better able to go fast. I have the Proto, same dampening as the Evo, and have only felt sketched approaching 50 mph a the bottom of a headwall. If you are set on getting a new board, try to switch up your brand to give something else a chance. Maybe a Lib TRS? Or a Niche Aether? Maybe a Arbor Westmark or Element?

A little stiffness will go a long way. If you have to stick with NS, the SL would be all the board you need for a while, I'd stay away from the Heritage. The Cobra is a pow board, so not the best choice unless thats all you are riding.

ghuss37 11-05-2012 12:15 PM

The resorts I go to are typically Keystone, Breckenridge, and Vail. I prefer powder, but there wasn't much of it last year. I'm hoping for more pow this year and that's what I prefer to ride, but want something good for pow and groomers...basically all-mountain right?

BigmountainVMD 11-05-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghuss37 (Post 534582)
The resorts I go to are typically Keystone, Breckenridge, and Vail. I prefer powder, but there wasn't much of it last year. I'm hoping for more pow this year and that's what I prefer to ride, but want something good for pow and groomers...basically all-mountain right?

Yeah mang, NS SL is better especially if its only your second season. Great all arounder, still could take it on some boxes, great on jumps and groomers and the RC tech will make anything good in powder. The Heritage would be too much board, too stiff, and not as enjoyable.

The Lib Tech TRS would be similar to the SL I believe.

buggravy 11-05-2012 01:18 PM

I've owned and ridden all 3 boards that you're considering. I'd shy away from the Raptor if I were you, but think you'd be fine on either the Cobra or the Premier. Premier is on the stiff side, but I bought the 09/10 version early in my 2nd season of riding and had no issues with it at all. If you're looking for the most versatile, the Cobra is going to be the way to go. It is NOT a pow board, but a killer all-mountain board that happens to excel in pow. I personally think there's a lot to be said for sticking with another NS board at your ability level. You'll get the differences that you're looking for, without the completely unfamiliar feel you might get from a different manufacturer, with different design, construction, etc.

Cycle4Fun 11-05-2012 01:25 PM

I would steer toward the Cobra over the SL, or Heritage as a second deck. I would go with the Heritage over the SL as well.

Reviews say the Cobra has similar characteristics to the SL, but with a shape suited for powder. You'll be able to take the Cobra all around the mountain and would love it on powder days. Which you say you see (bastard).

Also as a second quiver board for mountain use only I would go with the heritage over the SL. The SL is playful and can be used for park. With only 1 board I would get the SL. The heritage is more of a free-ride deck and less of a park deck. Neither the SL or Heritage will be as easy to ride in the powder.

Cruising the mountain and enjoying powder, I'd go with the Cobra. On bad weather days hit the park with your Evo. What's the point of a quiver if you get a board that tries to do everything OK like the SL?

I was in a similar position to you last year. I had a cheap park board to learn on and upgraded at the end of last year. I demoed the SL and Raptor among other boards. I bought the SL, because I typically ride small hills with around 700ft of vertical. The SL is playful. The Heritage would be a little stiff for what I typically want to do on the mountain.

The Raptor was my favorite board I demoed in Killington, Vt. The Raptor was amazing for hard charging and carving. A pure dream to ride. I've been thinking of what my last day of snowboarding was like all fall. Too bad the board is useless for 95% of the riding I do. I wanted a one board deck. The Raptor isn't it.