Need some help with buying my new setup - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Wow that's a lot of questions for one thread! Welcome to the club anyway...

Okay, so first off, Freeride and Park are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Freeride is basically riding all over the mountain, a lot of powder, off-piste, carving, with the occasional backcountry jump. It heavily favours stiffer setups. Park needs a medium to soft setup. So before we get too into the suggestions. Lets determine your riding style. I do about 90% freeride, 5% playing around doing side jumps/hits, and 5% park. So for me a freeride setup is perfect.

The other thing is, your height isn't that important in figuring out board size, foot size is important. And unless you have US/CAN Size 12+ feet, you likely don't need a wide board. Unless you NEED a wide board, you don't WANT a wide board. Trust me.

As for the face cover, I use one of the half masks that covers my nose, lips and chin, and it velcro's behind my neck. Keeps me plenty warm on ice cold days.
hey, thanks for helping me !
and yeah, thats a lot of text but i want to spend my cash perfectly, you know, first good setup - always a lot of things to consider

my foot is 13/14, 48/49 euro so yes - i need a wide fat board

about my riding style, i would say its close to yours, mostly freeriding, but i want to jump some in forest also, but its not like i want to spend half of day in the park, so we can say i need a freeride setup as well with a bit of freestyle. what would you suggest then? what you think about eq that i posted in first wall of text?

and about face cover, seems like facemask will be good, i just wanted to know if that neckwarmer works same as facemask, if it covers face well, but from other hand why should i take neckwarmer if i need cover on face, and facemask gives me both cover on face and on neck as well, so we can cut off this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Hound View Post
You really need to try the boots on. Motos are one of the most popular boots around but I had some, heat molded by the shop and my feet still really hurt. I've now got some Salomon boots that are really comfortable for a whole day riding.
yeah i understand that, but if i have no opportunity to do that, and closest shop having my sizes is like 600 km away, what can i do ? nothing, just hoping for them to be ok when i order shoping clothes in sweden for big guys is hard, they dont have a lot of them. anyway ill try to catch some shop where i can try boots first, gonna be hard though

Last edited by bpowder; 11-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.
bpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

You really need to try the boots on. Motos are one of the most popular boots around but I had some, heat molded by the shop and my feet still really hurt. I've now got some Salomon boots that are really comfortable for a whole day riding.
Snow Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowder View Post
about my riding style, i would say its close to yours, mostly freeriding, but i want to jump some in forest also, but its not like i want to spend half of day in the park, so we can say i need a freeride setup as well with a bit of freestyle. what would you suggest then? what you think about eq that i posted in first wall of text?
Okay so next rule: it's not written in stone but generally you want to match flex/response ratings. The board and boots you picked are both soft flexing (about a #3 on burtons scale) but the bindings are a 7 flex rating (much stiffer).

I like the Cartel bindings for your riding style, but I would probably pair them with a Honcho in the same price range, or the Sherlock or Custom. Although those prices seem high, can probably find them cheaper somewhere else.

For the boots, again they're softer so you probably want something stiffer. The Burton Ambush has a feel rating of 5 which is closer to the other parts of the system.

For that matter you could scale back on the bindings a bit and bring them down to a level 5 to match the rest of the setup.

Hope this helps!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

thanks man thats the help i needed.

honcho seems to be nice board, why would you prefer honcho instead of bullet? because of flex scale only?

2 next boards are a bit expensive and here comes my question again, if price comes to 500-600 euro, isnt it better to buy libtech board for example?

or is it better to have whole setup from 1 brand? i like burton but it doesnt mean that i want burton stuff only, i just feel like i can trust that brand whatever i buy

and btw those 2 boards are channel boards, so then i have to change bindings as well for est, but i think i dont need channel type

so if i will get that stiff setup which is best for freeride, will it handle some moves on park as well if ill decide to try it? i just need a board for everything, but mostly for freeride lets say

and also question about setup i chose (bullet + cartel + motos) , im just curious - would it handle freeride? even if its not so stiff etc?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
1) honcho seems to be nice board, why would you prefer honcho instead of bullet? because of flex scale only?

2) 2 next boards are a bit expensive and here comes my question again, if price comes to 500-600 euro, isnt it better to buy libtech board for example?

3) or is it better to have whole setup from 1 brand? i like burton but it doesnt mean that i want burton stuff only, i just feel like i can trust that brand whatever i buy

4) and btw those 2 boards are channel boards, so then i have to change bindings as well for est, but i think i dont need channel type

5) so if i will get that stiff setup which is best for freeride, will it handle some moves on park as well if ill decide to try it? i just need a board for everything, but mostly for freeride lets say

6) and also question about setup i chose (bullet + cartel + motos) , im just curious - would it handle freeride? even if its not so stiff etc?
1) Honcho is cambered instead of rocker, better for freeride IMHO... Stiffer + camber = less chatter, better edge hold, better high speed stability

2) I don't think libtech is any better than Burton at the high end. I'm riding a $1000 burton board that libtech doesn't make anything like...

3) No need to keep all the same brand, nothing wrong with having all three components from three different brands if each one is the right piece for the system

4) Yeah, the cartel's are available in EST/Channel though so that's no big deal. Only thing I regret about buying a complete EST setup a few years ago is not being able to take the excellent bindings and slap them on an exotic freeride board from Germany. I ended up having to find Burton non-EST bindings for that purpose.

5) I ride the stiffest board, boots, bindings in Burton's lineup, and I still do "butter" moves, jump, etc. I just don't do any rails (not my thing)...

6) Nothing wrong with the setup you chose, except the bindings are significantly stiffer than the board and boots. They're a little overkill. You'd also start running into the board as a limiting factor if you got into some higher speed carving. With a medium to stiff board it'll handle the speed way better.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

so its more about stiff board than boots right? eg its better to buy honcho + motos than bullet + ambushes?

and one more thing, do you see anything good also instead of bullet/honcho in price up to 400 euro?

thanks for all the posts btw, helped a lot
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
so its more about stiff board than boots right? eg its better to buy honcho + motos than bullet + ambushes?

and one more thing, do you see anything good also instead of bullet/honcho in price up to 400 euro?

thanks for all the posts btw, helped a lot
No problem, it's about the stiffer combo, not just two of the three. I would decide on what it is you really want, then try to find a better price. Those prices seem to be quite high!

Ideally you'd want all of the components to be within a couple points on the flex rating.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

well i think i cant spend more cash on board, for sure i will take cartels + ambushes if they will still have my size, and if you suggest to take honcho i think ill do it, dunno why i like that bullet one but maybe thats because of graphics ^^ will check if i can spend some more cash so maybe i can get some better board

btw where do you check flex ratings? and also i dont understand that last sentece so good - 'Ideally you'd want all of the components to be within a couple points on the flex rating.'

you mean i want all components to be in close flex rating right?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
you mean i want all components to be in close flex rating right?
Yeah exactly, so the honcho might not be the best choice either. Honcho 3, Cartel 7, Moto 3. I'd say get a good old Burton Custom binding which has a feel rating of 4 as a better match.

A complete setup with 5-7 feel rating would be ideal but might be a lot more expensive.

Feel ratings: http://ca.burton.com/mens-snowboards...efault,sc.html better to google "Burton" from your country and go to the Burton Europe website methinks.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

damn i love that cartels i found that i can spend up to 500 euros for board, ill try to search for something that can fit cartels + ambushes, any suggestions maybe?