Need some help with buying my new setup - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowder View Post
damn i love that cartels i found that i can spend up to 500 euros for board, ill try to search for something that can fit cartels + ambushes, any suggestions maybe?
Yeah... The Volkl Dice. Völkl International | Snowboards | *Dice

It's got a 6 flex rating (tought to compare manufacturer to manufacturer but should be stiffer than a 3 burton rating)... And they're made in Germany so should be cheaper for you than me. It also has an extra wide waist width.

The more I think about it the more I think it's a better board for your needs...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
bpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
Default

ok i see

do you have any experience with channel boards? are they better for intermediate? or they work good only for advenced riders? are there any negatives about channel system or positives only?

i see that there are some good prices on sherlock's from 2012, like that -

BURTON Sherlock 2012 163cm

what do you think?

// its not wide version but still you can take a look on that, just in case ill find same board but wide
bpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,333
Blog Entries: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowder View Post
ok i see

do you have any experience with channel boards? are they better for intermediate? or they work good only for advenced riders? are there any negatives about channel system or positives only?

i see that there are some good prices on sherlock's from 2012, like that -

BURTON Sherlock 2012 163cm

what do you think?

// its not wide version but still you can take a look on that, just in case ill find same board but wide
I have this board and really like it. I think that it is a good board for intermediate riders, it is pretty easy to turn and has a hybrid shape so it doesn't catch edges as easily as a regular cambered boards. It is a great board in soft snow and powder, however it is not a great board for icy or very hard packed conditions so it depends on where you ride.

It doesn't matter your skill level when it comes to the channel.

I really like the channel and EST system, it is simple, and very easily adjusted. Some people don't like it b/c they worry that with only two screws it might slip, I have not had this problem myself.

Some people don't like EST/Channel because it means that you have to have burton board and burton bindings or use extra plates to convert (or a few others now use the system too).
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
bpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
Default

yeah its pretty strange that only 2 screws can hold it well

but anyway i found only 1 opinion in the inet where guy was complaining about EST, all others loves channel system so it seems to be good one

question from other hand, why ppl hate burton ? i dont see any hates on other brands, but burton ^^ just curious you know
bpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
bpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I have this board and really like it. I think that it is a good board for intermediate riders, it is pretty easy to turn and has a hybrid shape so it doesn't catch edges as easily as a regular cambered boards. It is a great board in soft snow and powder, however it is not a great board for icy or very hard packed conditions so it depends on where you ride.

It doesn't matter your skill level when it comes to the channel.

I really like the channel and EST system, it is simple, and very easily adjusted. Some people don't like it b/c they worry that with only two screws it might slip, I have not had this problem myself.

Some people don't like EST/Channel because it means that you have to have burton board and burton bindings or use extra plates to convert (or a few others now use the system too).
well like i said before, im doing mostly freeride, but i want board for all mountain so i can try some parks etc as well. i like to jump some, but i wont try some big fat jumpers, mostly jumps in the forest, maybe some small jumpers in the park, maybe some rail but nothing fat yet

i dont like to ride on icy/hard packed conditions but you never know what the weather will be

i think ill buy that sherlock board if you guys think it can work for all mountain as well

so lets say im buying sherlock board + ambush boots, now the question comes about bindings again

diode est 2012 - BURTON Diode EST 2012 black

cartel est 2013 - BURTON Cartel EST 2012 black

or maybe something else?

or maybe better idea would be to buy cartels est 2012 and spend some more cash on board/boots?

damn more i look in the internet more questions i ask, compering to my old setup which is some factory board + dunno what bindings + burton used boots for 25 euro from 90s any setup will be fucking good now, but why not try to find something that will be perfect for me?

hope you still want to help me!

Last edited by bpowder; 11-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.
bpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,333
Blog Entries: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowder View Post
well like i said before, im doing mostly freeride, but i want board for all mountain so i can try some parks etc as well. i like to jump some, but i wont try some big fat jumpers, mostly jumps in the forest, maybe some small jumpers in the park, maybe some rail but nothing fat yet

i dont like to ride on icy/hard packed conditions but you never know what the weather will be

i think ill buy that sherlock board if you guys think it can work for all mountain as well

so lets say im buying sherlock board + ambush boots, now the question comes about bindings again

diode est 2012 - BURTON Diode EST 2012 black

cartel est 2013 - BURTON Cartel EST 2012 black

or maybe something else?

or maybe better idea would be to buy cartels est 2012 and spend some more cash on board/boots?

damn more i look in the internet more questions i ask, compering to my old setup which is some factory board + dunno what bindings + burton used boots for 25 euro from 90s any setup will be fucking good now, but why not try to find something that will be perfect for me?

hope you still want to help me!
Unless you are someone who specifically wants very stiff and ultralight bindings the Diodes are overkill and I would recommend that you get the cartels and spend the extra money on better boots or spend the extra money on lift tickets or beer.

Sherlock + Cartels + Ambush boots is a very good setup.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 87
Default

You are an All-Mountain freerider. You stick to the groomed runs, trees, and powder when you can get it.

In that case, stay away from all pure rocker boards. Those are park boards. They'll be too soft, have less pop, and won't hold an edge as well as the hybrid or full camber shapes.

The Sherlock you suggested is a much better fit for what you do. Another good option might be a Rossignol One Magtech. I liked that board when I demoed it. Great edge hold. Decent all around board for intermediate. I ended up with a Never Summer SL. I doubt you can find it over there though and it's out of your price range.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Sherlock + Cartels + Ambush boots is a very good setup.
I would agree.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle4Fun View Post
You are an All-Mountain freerider. You stick to the groomed runs, trees, and powder when you can get it.

In that case, stay away from all pure rocker boards. Those are park boards. They'll be too soft, have less pop, and won't hold an edge as well as the hybrid or full camber shapes.

The Sherlock you suggested is a much better fit for what you do. Another good option might be a Rossignol One Magtech. I liked that board when I demoed it. Great edge hold. Decent all around board for intermediate. I ended up with a Never Summer SL. I doubt you can find it over there though and it's out of your price range.


Are you a comparable rider (All-mountain freerider sticking to groomed runs, trees, powder)? If so...why the SL as opposed to the Cobra or Heritage?
jchaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaison View Post
Are you a comparable rider (All-mountain freerider sticking to groomed runs, trees, powder)? If so...why the SL as opposed to the Cobra or Heritage?
I chose the SL because of the locations I get to ride. I live in Ohio where the local hill has a 250 ft. vertical drop. 3.5 hrs away are 3 resorts in New York and Pennsylvania that have wait for it: 700 ft of vertical drop. Vermont is a 12 hr drive.

Since +90% of my riding will be on small hills I wanted a more playful board. I'll probably start doing kickers this year. Last year was my first year boarding after 10 years of skiing.

I've never boarded in Powder and likely won't see it this year. No snowboarding trip. I've got to save vacation for a honeymoon! Cobra is the wrong board period.

The Heritage was less playful for the small hills I ride. It was a hard decision though.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums