Triple Base im Coming - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 80 kg / 186 cm and ride a 163 cm as my all mtn board, but I also ride mostly deep pow with it. Don't think I'd go much below a 161 cm all mtn, even if I wasn't such a powder hound.

I do have a 154 evil twin, but I only break it out on slushy spring days or days I think are going to be mostly hard pack/groomers (that one day I rode it in deeper snow was a windy day all the snow had blown into the trees on one side of the mtn - total stash that no one, including myself, knew was going to be there).
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
jza

Oh yeah, if you are riding pow with it a ton I probably wouldnt suggest going that small.

Maybe check the jam. I rode the goliath and whatever and didnt really feel for either of them.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, the Jam or the Omni....it's got a lil taper on it.

(I haven't ridden either.)

JZA what did you like about the Whatever and the Goliath? I think that a barrel of monkeys doesn't have SHIT on the whatever.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
jza

It wasn't that I didn't like them, there was just other boards in the line that I liked a lot more. The whatever I rode was also a 156 wide I think and we just didn't get along.

I don't think bataleon makes a bad board to be totally honest. Being a high quality producer with no real sport store pricepoints it allows them to break away from the mold and really focus on building the best rider oriented decks.

What I mean by that is I notice with a lot of companies who sell at stores like sportschek, sports authority or any stores like that they are just putting shit materials inside their decks and putting shit graphics and a shit base on and labelling it a snowboard. Burton did this for YEARS and may still with the Bullet.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
jza

I'm sorry if that response made no sense whatsoever, Phony.

Basically what my closing comment was is that Bataleon is a CORE company through and through and I personally believe that they are using a technology that when their patent is up EVERY snowboard company is going to be using it. SO many companies (burton included) are raising edges in their boards in spots that make little to no sense trying to imitate TBT but they are failing horribly.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nah it makes sense. The boards are EXTREMELY well made.

Like, I read all this insane TBT hype and from first strap-in was SUPER surprised with how it....delivered. It was light, poppy, fast edge to edge and forgiving. I'm also pretty clumsy when it comes to carves so the extra two degrees I have to tilt benefits me.

They're just rad boards.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I owned an Omni and I say no on that one. Definitely no on the older ones with a slower extruded base, but the newer ones have gone to sintered. I found the taper unnecessary since TBT floats enough without it and it makes riding switch unnecessarily awkward.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Omni is a budget version of the Undisputed. Only difference is the Omni doesn't have carbon and it comes in a lot more/smaller sizes.

The taper is practically non-existant on the Omni and doesn't affect me at all switch. Only reason I, personally, would say no to even the sintered Omni is the stiffness isn't really there for a hardcore pow board (I also don't like the "back seat" insert setup because it steals the next insert option). Over all, as an all mtn board, it could be pretty cool...but it's definitely leaning toward off-piste and deeper snow.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I also owned the Undisputed in a couple different sizes, and while I found it better in pow than the Omni, I was not a huge fan of it either to be perfectly honest. I should've been more clear, it was a combination of taper and setback inserts on both boards that made switch riding more awkward, granted I'm not the best switch rider by any means.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hell, I couldn't even ride switch at all until I got on bataleon....still not great at it either, but at least I can do it now.

I do love the undisputed, though....but, for me, the sweet spot binding placement is exactly the inserts they took out in front of the "back seat" inserts. Took me a long time to find one, but I've got a brand new 2011 undisputed (pre-back seat) in the wrapper waiting to pounce (maybe not the first pow day, but as soon as there's a decent base)