Is this board new or used? Interesting issue - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Is this board new or used?
New 6 23.08%
Used 13 50.00%
Not totally sure 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Is this board new or used? Interesting issue

Ill make a long story short. I found a "new" 2012 Burton Vapor for 30% off online at an authorized burton dealer (will remain nameless for now) which I have been to in person in the past, but its a few hours away from me hence why I ordered it online. I sent an email asking if they would be open to sell it for an addition $100 off bring the price down to roughly 40% off. I got a phone call saying "they wouldnt normally drop the price or be allowed to by burton, but because there are some marks on the top sheet from moving it around the store and against other boards they would agree to give me the extra $100 off". We agreed, I paid and the board arrive today.

I have a STRONG suspicion this board was used (likely once), and they sold me a used board as new. Below are pictures, my main reasons for thinking it was used and their response. What i want is some unbiased opinions about these issues I see. Is it possible these things could be on a non used board? With all the evidence do you think the board is used, new or not sure.

Suspicious point #1.) The board was not in plastic wrap, but came in its little zipper bag. All burton boards come in a plastic wrap, and some have the addition zipper bag. It did have the sales tags in the channel, price tag, and booklet attached.

Their response: The plastic wrap got peeled off and damaged from moving around so they eventually took it off. This is a standard practice if that happens in their store.

Suspicious point #2.) The scratches are (in my opinion) more then what could be caused by moving a board around a store. The picture below shows how deep one of the scratches is. There are probably 10+ scratches on the board. It should be said that I personally dont give a shit about scratches. One day on the hill and any board will have them anyway. Im not one to try and keep my board looking new. I am pointing this out as evidence it was used.

Their response: The told me their were scratches prior to shipping. I agreed. We didnt disagree on this point, but I felt how deep they were was not consistent with moving it around the store. Perhaps im wrong thou.

Suspicious point # 3.) Rust on the edges, and the base is "whiter" by the edge which to me shows use.

Their response: They had it outside for a sale and it got rained on, and the white on the edge is nothing more then wax drying out.

Suspicious point # 4.) Evidence a binding was attached. This is probably the biggest piece for me. Under no circumstance should a new board have evidence that a binding was attached. At most a store would place a bind on top of a board for looks, but never attach to the point it leaves a circle.

Their response: No idea why the circle would be there. Agreed with me that there is no reason a binding should have been attached, but reiterated the board never left the store.

To me a used board sells for half of MSRP (no taxes). This board was likely taken out by an employee for a joy ride, and then repackaged (unknowing to the owner or guy who i talked to about the issue). Having said that I have never worked in a store so I have no idea if these things could all happen in the store.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Sassicaia; 11-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Ill make a long story short. I found a "new" 2012 Burton Vapor for 30% off online at an authorized burton dealer (will remain nameless for now) which I have been to in person in the past, but its a few hours away from me hence why I ordered it online. I sent an email asking if they would be open to sell it for an addition $100 off bring the price down to roughly 40% off. I got a phone call saying "they wouldnt normally drop the price or be allowed to by burton, but because there are some marks on the top sheet from moving it around the store and against other boards they would agree to give me the extra $100 off". We agreed, I paid and the board arrive today.

I have a STRONG suspicion this board was used (likely once), and they sold me a used board as new. Below are pictures, my main reasons for thinking it was used and their response. What i want is some unbiased opinions about these issues I see. Is it possible these things could be on a non used board? With all the evidence do you think the board is used, new or not sure.

Suspicious point #1.) The board was not in plastic wrap, but came in its little zipper bag. All burton boards come in a plastic wrap, and some have the addition zipper bag. It did have the sales tags in the channel, price tag, and booklet attached.

Their response: The plastic wrap got peeled off and damaged from moving around so they eventually took it off. This is a standard practice if that happens in their store.

Suspicious point #2.) The scratches are (in my opinion) more then what could be caused by moving a board around a store. The picture below shows how deep one of the scratches is. There are probably 10+ scratches on the board. It should be said that I personally dont give a shit about scratches. One day on the hill and any board will have them anyway. Im not one to try and keep my board looking new. I am pointing this out as evidence it was used.

Their response: The told me their were scratches prior to shipping. I agreed. We didnt disagree on this point, but I felt how deep they were was not consistent with moving it around the store. Perhaps im wrong thou.

Suspicious point # 3.) Rust on the edges, and the base is "whiter" by the edge which to me shows use.

Their response: They had it outside for a sale and it got rained on, and the white on the edge is nothing more then wax drying out.

Suspicious point # 4.) Evidence a binding was attached. This is probably the biggest piece for me. Under no circumstance should a new board have evidence that a binding was attached. At most a store would place a bind on top of a board for looks, but never attach to the point it leaves a circle.

Their response: No idea why the circle would be there. Agreed with me that there is no reason a binding should have been attached, but reiterated the board never left the store.

To me a used board sells for half of MSRP (no taxes). This board was likely taken out by an employee for a joy ride, and then repackaged (unknowing to the owner or guy who i talked to about the issue). Having said that I have never worked in a store so I have no idea if these things could all happen in the store.

What are your thoughts?
Looks used to me...you got it 40% off which sounds great, but that just makes it the price of a brand new high end board. I think you should be entitled to additional store credit at the minimum and definitely your money back if you wanted it. Bottom line you have to decide if you want the board or not, b/c you're not likely to find a better deal on a vapor in great condition.
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rooster King

dude its last years board and its a gucci so its been all fondled and fiddled and molested more times than a sandusky victim even if it did just sit around the shop.

shops mount bindings to boards for display all the time.

that board sucks anyway.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hmmm, don't know. If they had it outside for display they might have put bindings on it, just for show.
i think they were upfront about the board not being pristine, and you agreed on the price. So, I think your choice is either to accept the board as is, or return for a full refund. Getting another $50 or $100 off won't change how you feel about the board
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Who leaves a $1000+ board out in the fucking rain? Who leaves it outside at all for that matter? I can see a year old Custom sitting outside in the rain, but not a Vapor. The binding marks are obvious. Are there lines running tip to tail on the base? Usually unused boards would have non of these lines. How do the edges feel? If you can feel even the slightest snag as you run your finger around the edge, it has likely been used.

Also: get a refund and buy a different board.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I wasn't expecting a board that was pristine, but I just didnt want a used one. I guess there is enough possibility they put bindings on it in store for show. Leaving it in the rain was retarded. I ran my ringers down the edges and there were absolutely no snags, so I guess it possible it wasnt used, but just raped at the store level.

The price is the same as a new custom X, and with not a single review pointing to the Vapor being a worse board i guess ill keep it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

guys, is leaving a snowboard out in the rain that bad? It's made for snow....
All that happened was they left it out and when they brought it in they didn't dry it straight away. Those rust bits come off with a gummy stone.

if you're going to keep it, just cover the scratches with stickers, gummy stone the edges and give the base a wax
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

All those issues are very minor cosmetic things. You were expecting a board with a few dings/scratches and that looks like what you got.

Edges get surface rust when exposed to water or even high humidity. Rain isn't going to hurt a board.

The base goes white when its dried out, all new boards need wax anyway. The factory wax was applied months ago.

binding marks could happen if it was a store display.

Again, it's all cosmetic, and you knew it wasn't pristine, so go ride it and stop worrying.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Relax horatio!

Next week on CSI, have these ski's been used in a kinky sex game, what does the evidence say?
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shralp View Post
All those issues are very minor cosmetic things. You were expecting a board with a few dings/scratches and that looks like what you got.

Edges get surface rust when exposed to water or even high humidity. Rain isn't going to hurt a board.

The base goes white when its dried out, all new boards need wax anyway. The factory wax was applied months ago.

binding marks could happen if it was a store display.

Again, it's all cosmetic, and you knew it wasn't pristine, so go ride it and stop worrying.
as mentioned in my first post I dont care about cosmetic scratches, and I fully expected them as I was warned about them. I dont even care about rust on the edges because it rubs off. What I care about is being sold a "new" board that was used as in taken to the slopes and used as a demo. A demo does not sell for the same as a new board with some scratches.

Im getting the sense that these marks dont necessarily lead to a board which was used on the slopes, but one just cared for poorly at the store. Im fine with that for the price I paid.