First board purchase. QUESTION! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First board purchase. QUESTION!

I think I've narrowed it down the Rossignol Taipan. It was this board or the salomon ace, both of which I have found for ~$200. The taipan is a hybrid camber board and rates very well for groomers,carving,speed, and edge hold at (Thegoodride.com).
Im an internediate rider who only takes a trip or two a year.Unfortunately ive always rented and been given a size board...and I don't remember what size I have ridden the past few years.

QUESTION: i am 5'10" ,170 lbs and around 8.5-9 boot size. As far as weight goes I could ride a 158cm (120-175) or a 160cm (135-190+). Should I go with the 160cm in order to grow into it or the 158cm? I just prefer cruising and carving, not much into the park.
Tmorgan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, when you say you're going to "grow into it"...can I ask how old you are? At 5'10" 170, a 158 would be fine for you. If you're gonna grow another few inches a 160 would be a good bet too.

In reality though, you're not going to feel much difference between a 158 or a 160.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
Well, when you say you're going to "grow into it"...can I ask how old you are? At 5'10" 170, a 158 would be fine for you. If you're gonna grow another few inches a 160 would be a good bet too.

In reality though, you're not going to feel much difference between a 158 or a 160.
I'm about the same specs and have rode boards all the way down to 153 and as high as 159. IMO, I would go shorter if you just plan on cruising and groomers. It will allow you to maneuver the board easier. Longer boards are good for higher speed and stability.
I<3snowp0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Exactly... 2 cm is less than an inch.

FWIW I'm 170 and I ride a 159, but I'll be buying a longer board next time. I'm a bomber though...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3snowp0rn View Post
I'm about the same specs and have rode boards all the way down to 153 and as high as 159. IMO, I would go shorter if you just plan on cruising and groomers. It will allow you to maneuver the board easier. Longer boards are good for higher speed and stability.
Yeah, now that I think about it I'd go with the 158 unless you're gonna bean stalk in the next couple years. I'm 5'11" and I'm going to be riding a 156 this year for mostly park, cruising and carving. Again, with you're height as it is RIGHT NOW and how you're riding, a 158 is a good choice IMO.

Regardless of what you buy, you're current ability will adapt to the board. Safe to say you'll have a good time on whatever you choose to buy, as long as its in that 156-160 range.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Exactly... 2 cm is less than an inch.

FWIW I'm 170 and I ride a 159, but I'll be buying a longer board next time. I'm a bomber though...
See poutine match his weight to his board length soon...

You should watch the superheroes of stoke trailer, there's some funny stuff in there about the bygone days of super long skis.

Superheroes of Stoke Trailer on Vimeo

while they don't do snowboards the matchstick guys make wicked ski films
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Well no I mean weight wise. I used to weigh 185ish when I lifted weights a lot and hopefully will get back up to that size at some point. So I guess I was more curious about the weight guidelines. Cause I may want the shorter board, but like what was said before it is less than an inch. Difference may be unnoticeable to me
Tmorgan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmorgan91 View Post
Well no I mean weight wise. I used to weigh 185ish when I lifted weights a lot and hopefully will get back up to that size at some point. So I guess I was more curious about the weight guidelines. Cause I may want the shorter board, but like what was said before it is less than an inch. Difference may be unnoticeable to me
I realize we're talking about marginal differences here, but if you're an athletic 180 I'd be tempted to go longer. Only time you'll want a shorter board would be for spin tricks in the park, and possibly in tight tree situations.

A longer board should rail better and chatter less, all else being equal.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote