Broken Board!!! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sorry to say be prepared for the repair to fail. Sucks it was a new board. Brightside if there is one, you'll be getting a new board nxt year.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you're gonna ride street features or do backyard jib sessions, stuff like this is unfortunately gonna happen. Have your buddy pay for a base weld. If it starts to come off, get it welded again. Snowboards aren't that delicate, but like others have said, your core is exposed, and water getting into the core will break it down pretty quickly...
matty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
That board needs a base weld. If I was your buddy, I'd buy you a new board. It's the right thing to do IMO. He can take that one, get a base weld and keep it.
^^^what he said. PTEX will get sucked up into the core and make your base pop out. Learned that from experience. Ptex is good for gouges that do not go all the way into the core. Once you hit the core, you need it sealed, which is why you need it welded. The repair should be $30 or so at a shop. Sorry brah.
I<3snowp0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
Aw man, umadbro.
You borrow someone's shit and fuck it up, you replace it. That's life. If you're not willing to do that, don't borrow other people's shit.

It'd be one thing if it was a board with some mileage on it and a small core shot. Then, sure, just fix it and it's all good. But, IMO if you do that type of damage to your buddy's week old board, you owe him a new one. That's what I'd do. If simply doing the right thing makes me "mad", then I guess society really is as shitty as I assume it to be.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Sorry to say be prepared for the repair to fail. Sucks it was a new board. Brightside if there is one, you'll be getting a new board nxt year.
it can be repaired, just a question on what they will have to do.
SkittlesRgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3snowp0rn View Post
^^^what he said. PTEX will get sucked up into the core and make your base pop out. Learned that from experience. Ptex is good for gouges that do not go all the way into the core. Once you hit the core, you need it sealed, which is why you need it welded. The repair should be $30 or so at a shop. Sorry brah.
A base weld IS ptex brah...

And ptex does not suck up into the core and make your base pop out.... Lmfao

Last edited by ShredLife; 11-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I am confused. What is the difference between lighting a p-tex candle and dripping it in and a base weld?
StrattonRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrattonRider View Post
I am confused. What is the difference between lighting a p-tex candle and dripping it in and a base weld?
ptex is what your base is made of, so that is what you repair it with. you can buy a ptex candle for about a buck and drip in in yourself - can be hard to do well; most people let it flame up too much which lets air bubbles into the drips when they harden and it can fall out with use. you can use a base welding gun which basically heats a strip of ptex to the perfect temp and pushes it into the void. it WILL hold in there better than a candle in general, however i've had candle repairs last a decade of off and on riding...

the damage itself is not the death nail for that board - you just need to keep an eye on it. water will kill it, so you need to seal it one way or another and check it after you ride on it. if it falls out - make sure the board is dried out and seal it up again....

Linville - i was pretty much joking man, but as we can see here sometimes "i'll just buy you a new one and keep that one" isn't a viable plan... although it is the route us more honorable grown folks would take some people just can't... idon'treallythinkyoumadbro its all cools.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Relevant to your internets...

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

And ptex does not suck up into the core and make your base pop out.... Lmfao
Sorry you don't agree. That was my experience. I used about 1-2cm worth of a ptex candle with a dime size core shot and I could clearly see the core still. So where did all that ptex go? I ended up sealing the core first with some 24hr curing epoxy and then ptex over it. It worked well and I still have that board. There's a slight bulge on the repair, which I'm assuming is the ptex that's in the core.

On another experience, I suppose you can just ptex this:
I<3snowp0rn is offline   Reply With Quote