New board... - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Alright...down to:

NS Heritage or Cobra
Lib Lando
Jones Mountain Twin

I'm 5'9, 185-190 lbs, size 9.5 boot. Thinking 158-160 for size.

For bindings, thinking Burton Cartel/Malavita/Genesis for bindings. Maybe Flux SF45, Rome Tagra, or Ride Capo.

Last call?
jchaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

out of those i'd pick the cobra,
my buddy has the lando and its a fun board and i love the sidecut (close to 9m) but its has the least rocker of any of the lib tech boards and it just doesnt pop out of the snow when you want it to like some other boards. Dont know a whole lot about the jones other than it isnt that stiff. The extra carbon in the cobra will make it a more responsive ride compared to the much damper heritage. I prefer a lively board to a damp one, i like to feel whats going on.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

The Lando is pretty much the same as the Jamie Lynn Phoenix, yeah? Seems the only difference is the setback. Its also a parallel to the Billy Goat, no? Seems like those are more or less the same thing in different graphics (I said Lando cuz I like those graphics better...as a family man, I can't have a nipple on my board!).

Walove....thoughts on bindings?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The chariteristic that sets both the lynn and the lando apart is from the other lib and gnu boards is that they have a longer than normal side cut, 8.75m in longer versions, where most boards are close to 8. this works well with a high speed aggressive riding style hitting natural features. It also seems to help in steep sketchy sections as it grips great even though it has mellow mag.

the lando has the org throttles from the darkseries, a little torsionaly stiffer than the lynn and more setback. I would call both the lando and lynn, directional twins, with all mountain freestyle in mind. The billy goat has a little less sidecut, and is built as a directional freeride board, with the shape, sidecut, core all directional. Its also damper than other lib/gnu's. I've never rode a billy goat, but if you search snowolf has a review of one.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
-2. Not that stable and twitchy grip.
I also ride in the WA Cascades. I've been on a BSOD for the last two seasons. It's a great board for the conditions out here. I don't find the grip twitchy, nor do I find the board unstable. It's definitely got a fair amount of snap to it, though, and it's not particularly damp board. I like those qualities, though. It rewards you when you push it a little bit harder.

I would look at the RIDE Berserker, RIDE Highlife UL, and Burton Barracuda. You can't go wrong with a Riders Choice or TRS (I have a Riders Choice, too)...
matty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

Matty....I looked long and hard at the Riders Choice/TRS, but as someone who doesn't ride switch, I've been leaning towards a directional/directional twin board (NS Cobra/Heritage, Lib Phoenix/Gnu Billy Goat).
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaison View Post
Matty....I looked long and hard at the Riders Choice/TRS, but as someone who doesn't ride switch, I've been leaning towards a directional/directional twin board (NS Cobra/Heritage, Lib Phoenix/Gnu Billy Goat).
fwiw...i don't ride much switch...but there are times, in the tight spots at Baker that a twin is useful. Haven't ridden it yet, but got a billy goat split and iirc snowolf just picked up a splitty.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
fwiw...i don't ride much switch...but there are times, in the tight spots at Baker that a twin is useful. Haven't ridden it yet, but got a billy goat split and iirc snowolf just picked up a splitty.
All the directional twin boards listed here are perfectly fine for riding switch (with a slight caveat for the Cobra in pow).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The whole "you need a twin to ride switch" is bs. I can switch carve the shit out of a directional boards. I had never rode a twin untill a few years ago. I learned cab fives on my snowmullet, 1.5" setback and taper. Unless its something like the hovercraft with a flat tail, and even then I'm sure you can make it.

Trs and riderchoice are softer than the lynn and lando.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
fwiw...i don't ride much switch...but there are times, in the tight spots at Baker that a twin is useful.
Replace "twin" with "actually knowing how to ride switch properly." I agree with walove and hktrdr... unless it has a ton of taper or a flat/swallowtail... you can ride pretty much anything switch. I too learned my 540s on a directional board with setback. This guy is riding switch a 177 cm board, with ridiculuous forward angles (like +60, +55).

I would never recommend this... but people get too hung up on true twin for riding switch (btw, I believe that video was also taken during that guy's second or third season of snowboarding. I don't know about you, but I was a little jealous). I do 180s and ride switch on my powder board, which has 2 inches of setback, and a 20 mm taper in the tail ... it's not ideal, but I can do it. People... if you are having trouble riding switch... it's not the board... it's because you are bad at riding switch.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote