Never summer sl 2012 - detune? Beginner - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush Puppie View Post
But that improved a lot with doing the tip and tail. I didn't find any real difference after doing my Evo.
I believe that the core of the Evo ("press flex" or something) causes the rocker to be more pronouced even tho it is the "same" as the proto size wize. This also causes the tips/contact points to be more lifted than the other models.

This is what I have heard from other riders and people on this site. Don't have mine yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I believe that the core of the Evo ("press flex" or something) causes the rocker to be more pronouced even tho it is the "same" as the proto size wize. This also causes the tips/contact points to be more lifted than the other models.

This is what I have heard from other riders and people on this site. Don't have mine yet
I didn't notice a difference in the rocker when I rode the Evo and Proto on back to back runs the same day.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Do you deburr your edges with a diamond stone at the end of every day? That is going to make 10 times more of a difference. That's the difference between doing stuff that actually matters... and doing stuff because you think that's what the hardcore riders do.
Not responding to me though surely? I'm certainly not 'good'. Though I'd hope you'd say I was decent for the 70 days I've had on snow.

For sure I don't do things because I think it makes me appear more hardcore. I'd need a time machine for that.

Some of us unfortunately spend more time reading about it than actually doing it and will never get to express our mega steeze by sessioning a handrail on a busted door with razor blades hammered in for edges.

Maybe the OP should have asked "is there any scenario in which sharp edges past the contact points on the tip and tail would be of benefit to me as a beginner?"
Snow Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, I misunderstood the OP's intent.

I thought it was, "What are the benefits of detuning/beveling the board."
To which everyone has weighed in on how coar/not coar/smart/silly it is to bevel and detune.

When it was really:
"I wanna ride it out of the box, will anything catastrophic happen to me as a n00b?"
To which the answer is, "Not really. Have fun."
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
Yeah, I misunderstood the OP's intent.

I thought it was, "What are the benefits of detuning/beveling the board."
To which everyone has weighed in on how coar/not coar/smart/silly it is to bevel and detune.

When it was really:
"I wanna ride it out of the box, will anything catastrophic happen to me as a n00b?"
To which the answer is, "Not really. Have fun."
Yeah that's pretty much what I was asking... Coupled with whether or not it was gunna be 'too much' board for me. Thanks!
Decade190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
sharp rails but detuned contacts imo.

0/0 is fine and you can go 1/1 no biggie.

The way NS camber profile is coupled with the 0/0 bevel can actually be more punishing than "the cambered boards we learned on" because of the rocker between the feet. This causes an instability not present on classic camber. Hence a new rider can suddenly find themselves teetering on the rocker and going to a contact point - scorpion. This is a smaller swivel point as it is only from the middle to whichever edge is caught, meaning it requires a little more finesse and it happens faster - whammo!
So I'm in for a rough ride? Sounds like I should strap up the wrists for the first week or so then ha
Decade190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
So I'm in for a rough ride? Sounds like I should strap up the wrists for the first week or so then ha
Don't psych yourself out. I bought an 08/09 SL-R when I had <10 days of riding, and it's an easy/forgiving board to ride. You'll be fine. I think I actually posted a thread much like yours right after I bought it, and ultimately I didn't do any sort of detune. I've owned a bunch of boards since, some of which I've detuned the tip and tail, and some came that way from the factory. Ultimately I've never perceived much, if any difference from a detuned tip and tail, and as such don't generally bother to do any detuning any more. You made a good purchase. Just go have fun on it.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #28 (permalink)

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well and let you know that I am pretty new myself and purchased the identical setup last season...only lucky you caught the board on clearance...probably saved you a good chunk. ANYWAYS...Same set up...pretty new to the sport and my first season on the board proved fantastic as far as my progression...I was worried about the "To much board" situation but I believe it only made me better and I'm so excited to go out again this winter.. HAVE FUN! wear a helmet!
Engage_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

No matter what it can't be a more harsh ride than the regular camber, 161CM custom from 1993 that I learned on when I was 15 years old and only weighed 145 lbs. Oh, and the bunny slopes weren't open, so I leaned on all blues, haha! I'd be more focused on padding if I were you, b/c you're going to go down regardless of what you do to your edges on your first day or two. I couldn't get off the couch the next day.

Also, from a non-park guy's perspective, I've never detuned a board and get it sharpened 1x a season when I get my based grinded/repaired. Some people complain about edges being too grippy, but to that I say just don't turn as hard! Why would you ever want less edge hold??? <Again not a park guy>

If I were you, I'd throw some pads on and get out there! The quicker you get through the awkward learning phase, the quicker you'll be able to have some real fun. When you're at your lowest, keep going, b/c I've yet to find something in life as great as rewarding as snowboarding.
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Or you can not be a pussy and don't detune anything. Are you riding rails? No? Then don't detune any points of contact. You are gonna be carving up some sick mountains in France and want your edges to hold, not give way. I have NEVER detuned a board, but I also NEVER hit rails. I keep my edges at factory bevel and sharpen them a couple times each season to increase edge hold while carving. You will be happy when you are charging and your board doesn't fly out from under you when you hit an ice patch. That being said, detuning outside of the contact points for butters won't hurt, just make sure you are not within the contact points.

Learn to ride the board correctly WITHOUT detuning it and you will have better technique because of it. Then if you actually detune it, you will be a boss.

Also, riding hardpack and ice will detune the board slowly but naturally over time.
I agree 100 per cent with this, and it is my riding style too, never hit a rail, never detune.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote