Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   T. Rice vs Jones (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51055-t-rice-vs-jones.html)

Mackie 11-11-2012 03:09 PM

T. Rice vs Jones

Stats
5'10"
190 lbs
boot size 12~12.5

I currently have a 170 cm NS Legacy I bought from the rental store when I learned a few seasons ago. I really like the board,but its time to move on to something more versatile.

I really enjoy riding riding through the trees and hauling ass through the groomers. I also really like hiking and riding backcountry but will look at getting a splitboard when those days make up a larger portion of my riding. I like to ride everything but the park. I do like to hit little natural jumps and drops but want to work up to bigger things. I need a do it all board because I travel a lot.

The boards I have been looking at are the
T, Rice Pro C2BTX 157 blunt and 161.5 pointy.
Jones All Mountain Twin wide 161

From talking to others on the forum I should be ok with boot drag on the T. Rice but I am pretty sure Ill need the wide Jones. Does the wide version effect the performance at all? Would the T. Rice 157 Blunt be ok with my weight in powder?

Looking at the Union Atlas Bindings

Any input is appreciated!!!

JHeagz 11-11-2012 03:26 PM

Sounds like the 161.5 Trice is perfect for you...if it's in your budget, I'd spring for the horsepower. Supposedly 20% lighter and the topsheet doesn't show the little dinges and scratches that naturally accumulate over time. I don't know much about the Jones.

TorpedoVegas 11-11-2012 05:00 PM

I ride the T.Rice 157 and I'm same height, and about the same weight (maybe add 5 pounds at the moment)....I love it and I do ok in the deep powder, but the 161.5 would be better for sure in the powder, and if I was replacing my board I'd probably go with the 161.5 HP version myself.

Mackie 11-11-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im really leaning towards the T. Rice think I'll do the 161.5 as well. not sure about the HP version. Torpedo you go out to Revelstoke much? Ill be headed there in Dec to break this new board in.

TorpedoVegas 11-11-2012 07:24 PM

No, Revy is probably not in the plan this year, bought a season pass for Sunshine Village and I'll be watching reports for Castle Mt for the powder days. Next year I'm thinking of skipping the pass and doing more trips to Revy and Kicking Horse instead. If you plan on riding that board for a few seasons I'd spend the extra on the HP.

Mackie 11-11-2012 10:15 PM

Ya It will be my first time for Revy. Looking forward to it. I don't really care for the graphic on the T Rice. But I cant stand the pro version haha. Wish I could get the attack banana graphic on the Pro model.

Anyone have any input for the Jones??

BFBF 11-12-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackie (Post 537649)
Stats
5'10"
190 lbs
boot size 12~12.5

I currently have a 170 cm NS Legacy I bought from the rental store when I learned a few seasons ago. I really like the board,but its time to move on to something more versatile.

I really enjoy riding riding through the trees and hauling ass through the groomers. I also really like hiking and riding backcountry but will look at getting a splitboard when those days make up a larger portion of my riding. I like to ride everything but the park. I do like to hit little natural jumps and drops but want to work up to bigger things. I need a do it all board because I travel a lot.

The boards I have been looking at are the
T, Rice Pro C2BTX 157 blunt and 161.5 pointy.
Jones All Mountain Twin wide 161

From talking to others on the forum I should be ok with boot drag on the T. Rice but I am pretty sure Ill need the wide Jones. Does the wide version effect the performance at all? Would the T. Rice 157 Blunt be ok with my weight in powder?

Looking at the Union Atlas Bindings

Any input is appreciated!!!

Hey just a quick heads up quickly
I had a 161.5 Rice 2 years ago and own the jones mt twin 159 from ly.

- jones is softer and easier to press... The TRICE is noticeably stiffer of the 2.
- MTX is more aggressive on the TRICE.
- Edge to edge Jones is faster due to WW and excels at short quick turns
- Pop is similar
- TRICE is a hell of alot faster.
- Rocker profiles are different( I prefer the jones).
- Both hold great edge in all conditions.
- TRICE is a true twin and jones is a directional twin
- both ride decent in powder.
- Both are considered all mt but the Jones is a little more freestyle capable due to it's softer flex.
- Jones could be different this year but I haven't looked at the specs.( I think it's now setback stance)
- I'd get rice if i was going to ride more aggressive lines, resort stuff jones.( I sold me rice due to WW as I wear a 9 boot) off the top of my head the WW on the 161.5 rice is 260 which should work for you.

That's all i can think of right now.. off to work.

Mackie 11-12-2012 11:22 PM

BFBF thanks a ton!! Pretty much everything I needed to know. Still don't have an easy decision to make.

Brainwashed 11-29-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFBF (Post 537966)
...snip....

- Jones could be different this year but I haven't looked at the specs.( I think it's now setback stance)
- I'd get rice if i was going to ride more aggressive lines, resort stuff jones.( I sold me rice due to WW as I wear a 9 boot) off the top of my head the WW on the 161.5 rice is 260 which should work for you.

That's all i can think of right now.. off to work.

I'm trying to decide between the two boards as well.

Question: What does "WW" mean? Is that "waist width"? If you wear a size 9, which fits comfortably on the medium-wide Rice, why would you sell it due to it's waist width? I think the Jones Twin is actually narrower than the Rice when I was looking at the two boards, but maybe I'm wrong on that?

JHeagz 11-29-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainwashed (Post 545063)
I'm trying to decide between the two boards as well.

Question: What does "WW" mean? Is that "waist width"? If you wear a size 9, which fits comfortably on the medium-wide Rice, why would you sell it due to it's waist width? I think the Jones Twin is actually narrower than the Rice when I was looking at the two boards, but maybe I'm wrong on that?

Think he did mean waist width and he sold it because his feet are too small for a midwide. I ride the 161.5 and wear size 10. Didn't really have any problem with the WW myself, but personal preference and a whole shoe size.