thinking about a proto - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default thinking about a proto

my current deck is a lib tech skate banana but i want to get a cambered board as well. my lib tech i plan on mainly using in the park so i want a cambered board for the rest of the mountain. a caveat though is i love riding switch. im completely ambidextrous on snowboards so im looking for a true twin that can 180 easily. i also love jumps, spins, and hard aggressive carves at mach speeds.

im in love with graphics on the proto. if i wanted a board for outside the park that still had some freestyle skill, would this be a good match? im open to other suggestions as well.
pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

the proto is a sweet board but if you like it for the graphics .....wtf is the point......I think mine is ugly as fuck but it rides like sweet tits.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rome Mod 2012 or 2013.
DC PLY or DC Mega.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
my current deck is a lib tech skate banana but i want to get a cambered board as well. my lib tech i plan on mainly using in the park so i want a cambered board for the rest of the mountain. a caveat though is i love riding switch. im completely ambidextrous on snowboards so im looking for a true twin that can 180 easily. i also love jumps, spins, and hard aggressive carves at mach speeds.

im in love with graphics on the proto. if i wanted a board for outside the park that still had some freestyle skill, would this be a good match? im open to other suggestions as well.
You want a full camber, or Rocker Camber like the proto?

Isn't the Proto and Banana pretty close in ability?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
You want a full camber, or Rocker Camber like the proto?

Isn't the Proto and Banana pretty close in ability?
Well a Skate Banana is a floppier than a Evo, with less pop - although I agree a SL would be better than a Proto if you already have a dedicated park board. This is me carving on a SL 155.

That's just talking about NS boards though... almost none of which are traditional full camber. Trying to think who still makes camber boards... maybe the Donek Phoenix. My avatar pic is of me riding a Phoenix in the halfpipe... but it is a great all-mountain carving board as well.

pharcyde can you post a video yourself riding to give us a better idea of what you preference/skill level is at?

My opinion: You should only start talking about preferring a "true" twin once you can do a 540... below that level, you aren't good enough for that type of thing to matter.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-12-2012 at 07:20 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Burton still makes 10+ full on camber decks.. + rome camber = Anthem , mod, agent.
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Rome Mod 2012 or 2013.
DC PLY or DC Mega.
If you're looking at a cambered hard charging, some what all mountain board, then these are two of the best options along with the agent. Though the agent is a third option. The custom is an option too, but it's pretty stiff and not really that all mountainy.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBF View Post
Burton still makes 10+ full on camber decks.. + rome camber = Anthem , mod, agent.
Agent is too soft in my opinion (admittedly I haven't ridden one in like 6 years when I had an Agent 152). Anthem is good choice (didn't realize these still came in non-rocker variants) although again the last one I rode was like back in 2007 or 2008.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

- no videos of myself boarding

- yah, i know the proto is a hybrid, which is good enough. anything with more pop than the banana. im not really interested in anything that isnt true twin because i ride switch and forward equally. im ambidextrous in a lot of things, including snowboarding and basically only want a more freeride-friendly naner

- the custom i believe is a directional twin isnt it?

i think the proto has about everything im looking for but ill check out those other decks.
pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
- no videos of myself boarding

- yah, i know the proto is a hybrid, which is good enough. anything with more pop than the banana. im not really interested in anything that isnt true twin because i ride switch and forward equally. im ambidextrous in a lot of things, including snowboarding and basically only want a more freeride-friendly naner

- the custom i believe is a directional twin isnt it?

i think the proto has about everything im looking for but ill check out those other decks.
You go both ways I'm a little skeptical that you ride switch as good as you ride regular, but

Yea, then if you just a true twin that is a bit more freeride friendly then Proto CT is a good fit (I have a Proto 154).

That's not to say there aren't other boards out there... I just haven't ridden many true twins recently because I don't think it makes much of a difference riding switch (recently I've been riding switch 75% of the time, to let my less experienced friend keep up).