Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board advice needed. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51082-board-advice-needed.html)

jhthomasii 11-12-2012 11:01 AM

Board advice needed.

I've been reading through a lot of different advice threads here but I can't figure out which board would be best for me. I don't know a whole lot about all the different shapes but I am learning. I just moved to Chicago but I learned to snowboard in upstate NY. I don't really know about the snow conditions out here or what kind of terrain I can expect. I would probably classify myself as beginner-intermediate. I've got 2 winters in with maybe 30 days total. I have been riding a 156cm Ride Prophet with Solomon Brigade boots and I was just given some Flow rear entry bindings (not sure on the exact model). I'm around 200-210 with size 10 boots.

I'm not looking to hit a lot of rails and I'm going to assume the midwest doesn't get a ton of powder so it'll be mostly groomers and I really like hitting jumps too. Maybe some boxes/rails but not much.

So far, I have been looking at the Burton Custom Flying V, the Arbor Blacklist and the Ride Machete, all around 160cm, but these could be completely wrong. I'm hoping to spend less than $450 and I don't mind buying slightly used or last season. Thanks.

david_z 11-12-2012 11:18 AM

I personally don't care for the way the Custom Flying-V handles especially on the questionable conditions you'll experience out East.

The Machete and the Blacklist are both a little more on the freestyle/park side of things so if you ever wanted to become more of a park rider, they would be good choices, and both are versatile enough to ride "all mountain" for sure. Otherwise you may want to go a little stiffer for groomers/carving if you don't plan on doing much park at all.

jaken1990 11-12-2012 02:31 PM

Where in Chicago are you? I'm also from there around Joliet/Plainfield and I can tell you the snow sucks (if you ever get any) but I have a 2010 152 hero with triads and size 10.5 Burton Ions I've been looking to get rid of. Its got some nice pop and not bad for groomers. You can pm me if you're interested.

jhthomasii 11-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaken1990 (Post 537985)
Where in Chicago are you? I'm also from there around Joliet/Plainfield and I can tell you the snow sucks (if you ever get any) but I have a 2010 152 hero with triads and size 10.5 Burton Ions I've been looking to get rid of. Its got some nice pop and not bad for groomers. You can pm me if you're interested.

i live in elmhurst, which is a west suburb. 152 is too small for me but thanks for the offer. i went to the shop today and they had a 2011/2012 gnu carbon credit for $279. i really like the capita boards but im not sure which one would be right for me.

jaken1990 11-12-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhthomasii (Post 537987)
i live in elmhurst, which is a west suburb. 152 is too small for me but thanks for the offer. i went to the shop today and they had a 2011/2012 gnu carbon credit for $279. i really like the capita boards but im not sure which one would be right for me.

Alright. My personal preference is always to have my park board be shorter, I don't like bringing my 160 custom x in and feeling like I'm driving a semi.

I also have a 156 GNU Carbon Highbeam

jhthomasii 11-12-2012 05:01 PM

I'm thinking about getting the Defenders of Awesome. Is there any reason why i shouldn't?