Board lenght question - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
Are you a girl? Cuz dumb girls are hot
sxdaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. I'm getting more and more confused by the differences in lenght of similar snowboard models from different manufacturers. For example, when comparing the Rome Agent to the Burton Custom, which was supposed to be almost identical board, one can see that the latter is available in many different lenghts, going up to 169, while the longest Agent comes in 160. Bataleon Evil Twin and Riot also come longest in 159. Is that because Burton makes boards for a wider variety of riders weights, or is the Custom ridden longer due to differences in shape? For me, carving is currently the first thing I would like to learn properly. That' why I chose to stay with a cambered board. On the other hand, where I live the possibilities of riding powder are limited on only a few days per season, but there is park. Thats why I would go shorter - to allow for better park riding possibilities as I get better. So i thought that the Agent in 158 would be a good compromise for me... Would you recommend any other brand/model for me?
goranl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
Are you a girl? Cuz dumb girls are hot
He speaka da trufe

I was riding a 154 Evo at 210 which is retardedly too small.. I just picked up a 158 proto knowing ill be riding at 190lbs.. Its a cycle every year.. Lose weight into the winter, gain by end of summer.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was riding 151 Evo at 190lbs..without problem all over the mountain. Its not about lenght:P
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I'm with lonerider on this one. Don't be afraid of a longer board. Get one that suits your weight (or target weight). 159 is a little short for a 210 pound guy!

There's nothing that magically changes between a 159 and a 163. It's a 4 cm longer board... That's a 2.5% difference! It's not like it's a foot longer.

There's a limiting factor at either end of the spectrum. Too short and it'll get chattery and wash out at higher speeds, too long and it'll be harder to spin and tougher to toss around in the trees.

Alpine boarders ride upwards of 180-185 cm boards regularly, and those guys can carve pretty hard turns, so there's nothing that says going up in size a little is going to make it impossible to turn.

Edit: I started on a 153 when I was under 150 pounds. I'm about 165 now and have been on a few 159's, just ordered my new board in a 160 but it's got a much longer effective edge than a traditional board, so it should ride more like a 165-170 while carving.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany View Post
I was riding 151 Evo at 190lbs..without problem all over the mountain. Its not about lenght:P
BS... yes, the universe will not explode if you ride a 151 at 190 lbs... but unless you are riding just in the park or just slowly making your way down the mountain as a beginner - the 151 Evo at 190 lbs will just tend start flapping and chattering once you start picking up speed on a steep slope. Where a properly sized board will carve, a riding a 151 cm at 190 lbs will skid.

Zany I noticed a few years ago, you previously posted that you were 160 lbs when you first got you your 09-10 Evo 151. are you still growing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany
Style: Intermediate
Experience: 5 years
Weight: 160 lbs
Height: 5' 8"
Board: Never Summer evo-r 151
In a later post, you admit that your Evo 151 wasn't very good for hard charging down groomers and you were looking a 158 cm board.

Quote:
About my situation..I have Ns evo for park/allmountain but wanted something for hard charging ,groomers , resort powder,kickers,slackcountry maybe some backcountry.I found some boards that fits my needs but found really cheap brand new K2 gyrator with some limited graphic (see pics).
So my question is..Will shorter (158cm @ my 160lbs) directional powder board like gyrator do the job done for me?
BTW, you are a very quick learner since on January 11 you posted that you had just learned to do 180s after watching the Snowboard Addiction instructional videos (congratulations).
Quote:
B4 this trip i was doing rotated FS 180 and sloppy counter rotated BS180 ,FS tail rolls.. After six days on the snow, with just 2 (yes two) falls which hurts a little bit..I have on lock counter rotated fs 180, rotated and counter rotated FS and BS 180
Less than two weeks later on January 23rd you were giving advice to people about 540s and 720s.

Quote:
More airtime for grabbing. Its easier to spin 7 off 30ft

Last edited by lonerider; 11-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
BS... yes, the universe will not explode if you ride a 151 at 190 lbs... but unless you are riding just in the park or just slowly making your way down the mountain as a beginner - the 151 Evo at 190 lbs will just tend start flapping and chattering once you start picking up speed on a steep slope. Where a properly sized board will carve, a riding a 151 cm at 190 lbs will skid.

Zany I noticed a few years ago, you previously posted that you were 160 lbs when you first got you your 09-10 Evo 151. are you still growing?

In a later post, you admit that your Evo 151 wasn't very good for hard charging down groomers and you were looking a 158 cm board.

BTW, you are a very quick learner since on January 11 you posted that you had just learned to do 180s after watching the Snowboard Addiction instructional videos (congratulations).

Less than two weeks later on January 23rd you were giving advice to people about 540s and 720s.
I said without problem, it wasn't ideal but didn't notice any big problem anywhere. When I was at 180lbs I made my instructor license on this board without problem and we weren't skidding all over the place

I started to workout back then..so my weight is going up and down often.

Yes I said "wasn't very good for hard charging down groomers". That's true, It's park board and hard charging groomers its not where its shines..but its doable when u pay attention. I'm still looking for another board to my quiver, but its not important because I realized that my evo handles allmountain just fine and its superfun in park where I spend most of the time.

U saw that forum? That guy asked why he cant grab on 5ft jump. Anybody with just little experience in riding will know why. Two more people responded to that forum, both said it was because less airtime, exactly what I said.

In short: I just wanted to say that 2-3cm don't make big difference in performance. I often see that people are struggling if they pick board 3cm longer they cant go to park or hit a rail because is too big for that...3% more or less lenght won't make a big difference.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not all boards are made the same. Sidecut and stiffness make a difference in what length is proper for your style. You can't just throw out shit like "oh you need a 162 or a 152".
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunnylu View Post
I work at a snowboard shop, I tell people to get a board that is between your chin and nose.
With the new tech you can go with a shorter board. Like if you get a reverse camber you'll be fine in any kind of condition. Most company's have some form of magne traction so it'll will have great edge hold. But with size 12 boots you will need something wider
Wow, im 210cm, does that mean i need to ride a 190cm-200cm deck?????? FYI i ride a 165.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany View Post
I said without problem, it wasn't ideal but didn't notice any big problem anywhere. When I was at 180lbs I made my instructor license on this board without problem and we weren't skidding all over the place

I started to workout back then..so my weight is going up and down often.

Yes I said "wasn't very good for hard charging down groomers". That's true, It's park board and hard charging groomers its not where its shines..but its doable when u pay attention. I'm still looking for another board to my quiver, but its not important because I realized that my evo handles allmountain just fine and its superfun in park where I spend most of the time.

U saw that forum? That guy asked why he cant grab on 5ft jump. Anybody with just little experience in riding will know why. Two more people responded to that forum, both said it was because less airtime, exactly what I said.

In short: I just wanted to say that 2-3cm don't make big difference in performance. I often see that people are struggling if they pick board 3cm longer they cant go to park or hit a rail because is too big for that...3% more or less lenght won't make a big difference.
pretty good rebuttal actually.