Board lenght question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board lenght question

Hi!

I want to get a new board before winter and have almost decided that it will be the Rome Agent, but I'm not sure which lenght should I get. I know that I need a wide version (I wear size 12 boots). I'm 6'1'' tall and weight 210 lbs (which I would like to trim to about 195), so according to size charts I should most probably go for a 160 cm version. However, since my old 162 cm Elan Answer has alyways felt a bit long, I was thinking to go with a more agile 158 cm version instead. I can also get the latter 30% off (last year model), while for the longer one I would have to pay full price. In terms of riding skills, I would describe my self as an intermediate rider - still learning to press my edges down properly while carving and have barely started to ride switch, but I hope to improve a lot this season. So what do you think - will the 158 cm board ok for my predispositions? Or should I take the 160 cm one? I would combine it with the 390 Boss bindings. Thanks in advance.
goranl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

im 6'1" 195 and i ride a 159. i think you would be fine with a 158
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I weigh about 195 and I ride a 157 Lib Tech Shunk Ape and have no problems carving with a shorter board! This also helps me if I venture into the park which I will probably be in a lot this season!
jcam1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goranl82 View Post
Hi!

I want to get a new board before winter and have almost decided that it will be the Rome Agent, but I'm not sure which lenght should I get. I know that I need a wide version (I wear size 12 boots). I'm 6'1'' tall and weight 210 lbs (which I would like to trim to about 195), so according to size charts I should most probably go for a 160 cm version. However, since my old 162 cm Elan Answer has alyways felt a bit long, I was thinking to go with a more agile 158 cm version instead. I can also get the latter 30% off (last year model), while for the longer one I would have to pay full price. In terms of riding skills, I would describe my self as an intermediate rider - still learning to press my edges down properly while carving and have barely started to ride switch, but I hope to improve a lot this season. So what do you think - will the 158 cm board ok for my predispositions? Or should I take the 160 cm one? I would combine it with the 390 Boss bindings. Thanks in advance.
If you ask whether it will be too short for you are your current size and ability... I would say probably not because it sounds like you aren't going very fast.

However... overall a 158 is a little short for someone who is 210 lbs (let's be realistic and say that you can talk about 195 lbs once you are at least below 200 lbs). I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and I ride a 155 cm as my big park board and currently ride a 161cm for pow/freeriding... does it make sense that I'm riding the same length board when I'm so much smaller than you? Here is me riding a 160cm off a rock drop.

It is all about effective effective (which comes with length... but it actually less on a rockered boards). Imagine that as like tires on a car... the longer effective edge, the bigger the tires and the harder you can turn without skidding.

Most people don't go very fast and/or are barely turning, let alone carving. So they have no idea what they are talking about when suggesting board and board lengths.I don't pretend to be a pro rider... but if most of the people here are intermediate... then I'm well past advanced into expert territory (which to me is weird since I know lots of people who are better riders than me... admittedly many of them are wannabe pros). In reality, I think most people aren't very good snowboard... and people on the Internet are even more deluded.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-12-2012 at 07:07 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with you in theory, but when I rode a 160 it felt too big and a I was catching edge all down the mountain. This may be my fault but I have better board feel with my 157 and it's better for me in the park.

This is just based on my personal experiences and I am no way an expert on snowboards!
jcam1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam1981 View Post
I agree with you in theory, but when I rode a 160 it felt too big and a I was catching edge all down the mountain. This may be my fault but I have better board feel with my 157 and it's better for me in the park.

This is just based on my personal experiences and I am no way an expert on snowboards!
The longest board I've ridden is 178cm at 150 lbs. If you are catching your edge all the time on any length board, that really points to something wrong with your technique (doing some type of weird foot/hip shuffle to manhandle the board instead of using your edges).

157 sounds fine if you are just jibbing in the park at 195 cm.

Not that you should... but you could

Last edited by lonerider; 11-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goranl82 View Post
Hi!

I work at a snowboard shop, I tell people to get a board that is between your chin and nose.
With the new tech you can go with a shorter board. Like if you get a reverse camber you'll be fine in any kind of condition. Most company's have some form of magne traction so it'll will have great edge hold. But with size 12 boots you will need something wider
Snowbunnylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunnylu View Post
I work at a snowboard shop, I tell people to get a board that is between your chin and nose.
How long have you been working there? The chin to nose height rule of thumb is old-school technique from the '90s... most shops don't that anymore.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
With the new tech you can go with a shorter board. Like if you get a reverse camber you'll be fine in any kind of condition. Most company's have some form of magne traction so it'll will have great edge hold. But with size 12 boots you will need something wider
Glad I don't go to your shop
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Are you a girl? Cuz dumb girls are hot
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote