Salomon Man's Board - Length for me - Please help - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
Nice.. I still have it stored away in my basement, pretty decent condition all things considered. Certainly was a solid free-ride board. I am the opposite of you, growing up was a Lib/Gnu guy in the park a bunch then blew out my knee and have had some issues with it since so mostly an all-mountain sort nowadays. Plus I'm getting old now.
I've been sort swinging back and forth depending on who I was riding with... in college I rode in New England pretty rode the park at Loon Valley all day long as there wasn't much else out there - even managed to make it to Mt.Hood a few summers.

Then after school, I moved out West and rode with a bunch of people I met out there and most of them were just freeriders...

Then a bunch of my old college friends moved out here as well and we're back in the park.

I think this is my last hurrah ... after that I'll be back to just freeriding again to protect the body.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the help. I will now keep an eye out for a 159 due to my drop in weight.

@lonerider: shred-worthy pics dude!

@snowklinger: I got some salomon F-22s this year (last year's model 50% off) and I freakin love them. I have some old SPX PROs that I may replace with this year's Chief binding. Figured might aswell go Salomon with the board, although Libtechs are looking nice to me and are from the 206. The man's board really does look like it's what I need though.

edit: with all that said, I am open to any and all suggestions for boards/bindings. (someone suggested me union forces)

Last edited by laxinchili; 11-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
@snowklinger: I got some salomon F-22s this year (last year's model 50% off) and I freakin love them. I have some old SPX PROs that I may replace with this year's Chief binding. Figured might aswell go Salomon with the board, although Libtechs are looking nice to me and are from the 206. The man's board really does look like it's what I need though
159 is a pretty big board for someone who weighs 150lbs.

That was my entire point.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

The suggested weight for the 159 is 130-185lbs (157.5 mid) and the 156 is 130-165 lbs (147.5)... I think I will go for the longer one here...
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A lot of it, is where you are riding.

If you never see powder or very rarely, you could get an even shorter one.

If you live in B.C. or the PNW, you'll drown on those itty bitty boards, we get thick wet heavy snow most of the time.

I'd stick to the 162, you won't notice the difference on hard pack days but I bet you will on pow days.
++Bigger boards go faster, ride smoother & are more stable.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
159 is a pretty big board for someone who weighs 150lbs.

That was my entire point.
I disagree. I'm 150lbs and I have ridden up to 178cm board (that is a big board). This is me riding a 158 cm board at 140 lbs

This is me riding at 160 cm split board (so it's even heavier than a regular board)

So snowklinger... no disrespect, but how experienced of a rider are you? I know just started again 3 years ago... but how much we you riding before your hiatus? If you are shortboard skateboarder, I can see what you might think regular sized boards are too long for your twitchy turn style as shortboard skateboarder turn to just go in a straight line most of the time, with some tic-tac around at slow speeds and I would imagine your snowboard style is similar.

I'm just wondering why you ride your Proto 154 cm as an all-mountain board at 175 lbs... and I'm riding the exact same board as my dedicated park board at 150 lbs.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I disagree. I'm 150lbs and I have ridden up to 178cm board (that is a big board). This is me riding a 158 cm board at 140 lbs

This is me riding at 160 cm split board (so it's even heavier than a regular board)

So snowklinger... no disrespect, but how experienced of a rider are you? I know just started again 3 years ago... but how much we you riding before your hiatus? If you are shortboard skateboarder and never do real carved turns, I can see what you might think regular sized boards are too long for your twitchy turn style.

I'm just wondering why you ride your Proto 154 cm as an all-mountain board at 175 lbs... and I'm riding the exact same board as my dedicated park board at 150 lbs.
I totally agree with you on both points, I've had up to a 74W, but have also had a 69,66,63.
& that snowklanger, need to step up to the big boy boards
I haven't dipped into anything under 160 for years, got a Burton Hero & went down to 155cm.
Sketchy as fuck, wish I would have @ least got a 160cm.

Do you think it has to do with shortboard skateboarding & how long you've been riding for?

This is my 25th year, back in day, everybody seemed to ride bigger boards. But also I live in B.C., ya kinda hafta have a bigger board around here I find.

I never shortboarded either, my best snowboarding buddy for 20 years did.
Even 20+ years ago he bought a Kemper freestye 155 & I had a Kemper freestye 165.

TT

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Do you think it has to do with shortboard skateboarding & how long you've been riding for?

This is my 25th year, back in day, everybody seemed to ride bigger boards. But also I live in B.C., ya kinda hafta have a bigger board around here I find.

I never shortboarded either, my best snowboarding buddy for 20 years did.
Even 20+ years ago he bought a Kemper freestye 155 & I had a Kemper freestye 165.

TT
That was just a theory I was thinking up on the fly. A lot of people on the forum say they like the loose trucks skate feel some snowboard equipment gives them and I noticed snowklinger specifically said "I ride the mountain like a skatepark" which is what one of my riding friend (who shortboard) does too (slowly picks his way down the mountain... looking for every tree trunk he can bonk, every ridge on the edge of the trail he can pop, etc...).

I am admittedly a pretty terrible shortboard skateboarder. I can barely ollie standing still... forget trying to ollie up a curb, and I can "survive" a drop-into a 6ft bowl and get up the other side, but that's about it. However, I did do some downhill longboarding. Here is a video of someone ELSE doing what I would have liked to aspire to (I quit to protect my body, after I saw a guy hit some loose gravel and fly off the road going 40 mph - he was ok as he landed in some bushes, but still).

I was going WAY slower than this guy and I never did stand up powerslides (I always had one hand with a slider puck on the ground). I also rode with the freebording crew too... but it wasn't very fun in my opinion... Freebording is like being a crappy snowboarder (skidding the whole time). This was the hill that we did though (I burned through my wheels a bit going down that).

Update:
Anyway... back to snowboarding ... yea back in the day it was all about BIG GUNS 180cm+ snowboards like Glissade Snowboards, Radical Surfs, or Rad Air Tankers up to 200cm. I tried a Rad Air Tanker 172cm and rode a Prior WCR-M 178cm - fun for blasting down wide open bowls and surprisingly not too hard to handle in the trees... but really just not my thing. Now it's all Burton NUGs and what not...

Last edited by lonerider; 11-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=lonerider;538639]That was just a theory I was thinking up on the fly. A lot of people on the forum say they like the loose trucks skate feel some snowboard equipment gives them and I noticed snowklinger specifically said "I ride the mountain like a skatepark" which is what one of my riding friend (who shortboard) does too (slowly picks his way down the mountain... looking for every tree trunk he can bonk, every ridge on the edge of the trail he can pop, etc...).

I am admittedly a pretty terrible shortboard skateboarder. I can barely ollie standing still... forget trying to ollie up a curb, and I can "survive" a drop-into a bowl, but that's about it. but I did do some downhill longboarding, here is a video of someone ELSE doing what I like to aspire to.

I was going WAY slower than this guy and I never did stand up powerslides (I always had one hand with a slider puck on the ground). I also rode with the freebording crew too... but it wasn't very fun in my opinion... Freebording is like being a crappy snowboarder (skidding the whole time). This was the hill that we did though (I burned through my wheels a bit going down that).

That's pretty good, I can't ollie @ all. Never could.
I've hit 100km/h on my home made longboard though, down this hill Untitled on Vimeo
& a few months ago I attached some bindings to a longboard & attempted to jump 2 flights of stairs. eating shit on Vimeo
I ate shit, bit off more than I could chew, for not being able to even ollie.

TT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg looks just like a snowboard.jpg (65.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg the real home-made bomber.jpg (121.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 11-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
That's pretty good, I can't ollie @ all. Never could.
I've hit 100km/h on my home made longboard though, down this hill Untitled on Vimeo
& a few months ago I attached some bindings to a longboard & attempted to jump 2 flights of stairs. eating shit on Vimeo
I ate shit, bit off more than I could chew, for not being able to even ollie.
TT
Wow... that is a sketchy looking longboard lol... actually, freebord did have that going for them (you could jump surprising well with them).

Anyway... back to snowboarding ... yea back in the day it was all about BIG GUNS 180cm+ snowboards like Glissade Snowboards, Radical Surfs, or Rad Air Tankers up to 200cm. I tried a Rad Air Tanker 172cm and rode a Prior WCR-M 178cm - fun for blasting down wide open bowls and surprisingly not too hard to handle in the trees... but really just not my thing. Now it's all Burton NUGs and snowskates so people can pretend they are skateboarding on the snow. I was always a snowboarder first, where you actually learn to turn and ride the slopes before learning "tricks" (I picked up skateboarding as a way to try and freeride snowboard in warm weather).

Last edited by lonerider; 11-13-2012 at 06:06 PM.