Salomon Man's Board - Length for me - Please help - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
looks sick! but I'm being told to get the t-rice in 157 because of my weight drop and the rocker!
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
looks sick! but I'm being told to get the t-rice in 157 because of my weight drop and the rocker!
Go buy that board, that's a wicked deal.

It's also the perfect size for where you live.

If you don't like it, sell it. Make $100 bucks & buy somethin' else.

There's no better way to figure out what you like than riding lots of different boards. I go through like 5-10 a year, make a few hun & ride a shit load of different boards.

Can't see why you couldn't do that too, there are some sick deals in there.
I just sold a board, I haven't even bought yet.

I've had everything from a "Luxury Shin Campos 148" with a huge drawn out powder nose to a Never Summer legacy 174W.
You can ride any board any given day, with a few adjustments.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #43 (permalink)

I have my 161 camber right now, I think I want to get one that is a little shorter.

What do you guys think about Jones Boards?
I might have to do the REI thing if I get a new one for the cash back, their mountain twin looks filthy

Last edited by laxinchili; 11-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yea, I would stick with looking for a 157 if you are set on the TRice only because I've read on this forum it is super stiff and while I do suggest a longer board than snowklinger, I don't believe that longer is always better.

Again... I don't want to dissuade you too much from your original choice of a Salomon's Man's Board... because once you start chasing for the "perfect board" you are never going to stop. Trust me, I know from experience.

UPDATE: From the other thread... I saw some mention a Burton Sherlock as a good freestyle powder board (I'm beginning to mix and that other thread up). There happens to be one used 157 model in very good condition on sale at Geartrade for 50% off. There was also a TRS 159 (which I "think" is what the TRice is based on) for 54% off, but it has a lot of maintenance issues with it (needs base repair, base grind, edge redone... a bit of a hassle).

Last edited by lonerider; 11-14-2012 at 12:23 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Yea, I would stick with looking for a 157 if you are set on the TRice only because I've read on this forum it is super stiff and while I do suggest a longer board than snowklinger, I don't believe that longer is always better.

Again... I don't want to dissuade you too much from your original choice of a Salomon's Man's Board... because once you start chasing for the "perfect board" you are never going to stop. Trust me, I know from experience.
I already started chasing, and I'm overwhelmed looking @ boards from Libtech, Jones, Salomon, and my old fav Rossi...
fuark

edit: and the PROTOoooo

Last edited by laxinchili; 11-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I already started chasing, and I'm overwhelmed looking @ boards from Libtech, Jones, Salomon, and my old fav Rossi...
fuark
It's a deep rabbit hole... I think timmytard has likely a dozen boards right now. I used to be like him, buying board that were underpriced... riding them... and then selling them for a profit (I think the most I had was 7 boards). It's fun... but it also takes up a LOT of your time, becomes sort of a side business/hobby.

If you really can't decide... wait until the season starts and start demo-ing boards. Most big resorts have a deal where you pay like $50 and you can try and ride as many 2013 boards as you can in a set time frame. If you really like the board and buy it, they will waive the demo fee. Just make sure not to damage the board because "You break it, you bought it"
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #47 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
edit: and the PROTOoooo
Lol... ok, I can stop you there. I own the Proto 154. It's a great all-mountain freestyle board... but it's NOT what you are looking for. Look at the Cobra instead - it's a stiffer/damper Proto with a directional freeride/powder friendly shape.

However, take the amount of talk on this forum about it with a grain of salt. It only came out this fall to the public... I think only four people on this forum have actually ridden it Snowolf, Leo, BurtonAvenger and... BGilly(sp?). Never Summer literally gave them a Cobra to regular joe riders Snowolf and Leo to review (knowing they would rave about it and make people on this forum foam at the mouth for it). BurtonAvenger is associated with the industry and has his own review website - AngrySnowboarder.com. And BGilly (I forget his actual name) tried it at a demo and actually preferred the Heritage to it (I got the feeling from BurtonAvenger's review, he still prefers the Heritage... read the comments after the review).

The Cobra is probably an awesome board, anyone aside from those guy are basically just buying into the hype (it's possible for a good board to be over-hyped).

Update: Added a link to BA's review of the Cobra.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #48 (permalink)

noted, thanks.

Could you please recommend me a board from the following companies:

GNU, Rossi, Salomon, K2, Capita, Burton, Ride, Jones

edit: the one magtek looks pretty sick...

Last edited by laxinchili; 11-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
noted, thanks.

Could you please recommend me a board from the following companies:

GNU, Rossi, Salomon, K2, Capita, Burton, Ride, Jones
Down down the rabbit hole!

Well ok, I have a personal bias against Mervin companies (Gnu, Libtech, Rossi are all owned by Mervin) because I don't like BTX or MTX (to be fair I haven't ridden the latest C2BTX or C3BTX). If you really want to try... I think my friend has a 2009 Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix 155 (156?) he's been trying to get rid of.

Salomon Man's Board sounds good.

K2 I really love the old Jibpan, but they discontinued that model (not sure if there is a renamed version). I have ridden the 2011 Parkstar and 2011 Fastplant and they were decent freestyle board... but something in the construction made them kind of "meh" for me as that didn't have a lot of pop in my mind. I read about Slayblade, TurboDream and Raygun... but since I haven't ridden it myself, I can't say much.

Capita - I never got to know this brand well enough. I hear people shout out Horrorscope (freestyle?) and BSOD (camber freeride?), but I know next to nothing about what those boards are like.

I generally have shied away from Burton boards in recent years (I did ride there first gen rocker in like 2009-2010 and it was crap... I think they have a new version out now).

Ride - I used to like their boards, but they've renamed all the boards and I have no idea now.

Jones - only board I've research is the Hovercraft... and it didn't sounds like the board I wanted (they sound very stiff, and not very damp and they like to go in a straight line). Kirkrider has one (but hasn't ridden it yet).

Last edited by lonerider; 11-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

right now, I'm about to pull the trigger on The One MagTek... 156 or 159... probably the 159 (i'll settle at maybe 155 maybe 160 lbs in winter)