Salomon Man's Board - Length for me - Please help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Salomon Man's Board - Length for me - Please help

Hi Guys, I am making a return to snowboarding this winter!!! SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in the market for a new board... I am a freeride type of guy that rarely goes airborne off the kicker on the side, etc, but mostly enjoy ripping (in more ways than one, Oh!) and carving.

I am pretty set on getting a Man's Board after what I have heard of it, and I have my eyes on a 162 from last year at a great price. My past board is an oldschool Rossignol RS, also at 161. My concern is that I have lost weight since I last rode, going from about 185 to 160-170. The mans board looks like a sweet combination of new tech with no BS.

Considering I'm that i'm now noticeably lighter, would you guys still recommend a 162 for me, or should I look @ a smaller board? 159 perhaps??
I just want to do the best I can with my tight budget!

Please give me any pointers here, including suggestion for other boards. My ears are open and welcome any wisdom.
Thanks in advanced!
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

my friends and i are all around 5'10" 170 and have decided that a 159 is the ideal length for a solid fun all mountain board.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Ultimately losing 3cm (barely more than an inch) on the board length is not going to make a huge difference either way, but the shorter 159 should be a little more nimble than the 162. I think if I were you I would go with the 159 if you can find it. If not, you shouldn't have any real trouble on the 62 since you're already accustomed to riding boards that size.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the responses guys.

I just weighed myself again and HOLY SHIT I HAVE LOST WEIGHT! Marathons man, they change your body.

I am now 153 lbs (with only shorts and tee)... adding another 10 lbs for clothes/boots/pack... what do you guys suggest now lengthwise??

(I just found out suggest weight by Salomon for 162 is 155 lbs- 195 lbs [175 avg]... i'm definitely on the lower end... and the 159 is 130-185lbs [157.5 avg])

Last edited by laxinchili; 11-13-2012 at 01:04 PM.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
(I just found out suggest weight by Salomon for 162 is 155 lbs- 195 lbs... i'm definitely on the lower end...)
Hmmm you've dropped 35 lbs...

and this board is definitely on the firmer side, they say "7" personally I felt it was a bit firmer than that on the 159 (and I'm 210 lbs). The 62 seems too much for your size now, definitely. So you're somewhere between the 156 or the 159 then.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
Thank you for the responses guys.

I just weighed myself again and HOLY SHIT I HAVE LOST WEIGHT! Marathons man, they change your body.

I am now 153 lbs (with only shorts and tee)... adding another 10 lbs for clothes/boots/pack... what do you guys suggest now lengthwise??

(I just found out suggest weight by Salomon for 162 is 155 lbs- 195 lbs [175 avg]... i'm definitely on the lower end... and the 159 is 130-185lbs [157.5 avg])
Good job! I see too many posts from people who try to finagle their way into shorter board (apparently pretending you are a nimble butterfly is the new fad) talking about the weight they are GOING to lose... instead of the weight they already lost. I normally ridicule everyone who try to size down on their boards (even shorter than what the MAKER of the board recommends) in some lame attempt to compensate for their shoddy riding skills.

However, for you I would definitely go down to 158-159 cm. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and I find a 158-160 to be perfect for pure free-riding. If you are right in the middle of the company's recommend weight range I think you are good to go.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just got back into the mix 2 years ago after brief hiatus and upgraded all my gear last year. I used to ride a definition 161 but went with the 159 man's board.

Its plenty of board for me. stable, stiff, handled all the garbage conditions I rode on last year well (east coast and two co trips). I'm closer to 200 and found it fine. I don't think the 162 would be a huge difference since as DavidZ said you are used to a larger board.. i just don't think its needed.

It does require your attention but its a great board IMO.. I just hope I get to use it on some decent snow this year.

Last edited by SnowRock; 11-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
I just got back into the mix 2 years ago after brief hiatus and upgraded all my gear last year. I used to ride a definition 161 but went with the 159 man's board.

Its plenty of board for me. stable, stiff, handled all the garbage conditions I rode on last year well (east coast and two co trips). I'm closer to 200 and found it fine. I don't think the 162 would be a huge difference since as DavidZ said you are used to a larger board.. i just don't think its needed.

It does require your attention but its a great board IMO.. I just hope I get to use it on some decent snow this year.
Hey, I used to ride a Salomon Definition 156 myself (when I was 140 lbs). Was a great free-riding board. I've been doing a lot more park recently the last couple of years and have been trying other brands after having a bunch of Salomon boards (450, Burner, Forecast (ERA?), Definition, Daniel Frank pro model).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Hey, I used to ride a Salomon Definition 156 myself (when I was 140 lbs). Was a great free-riding board. I've been doing a lot more park recently the last couple of years and have been trying other brands after having a bunch of Salomon boards (450, Burner, Forecast (ERA?), Definition, Daniel Frank pro model).
Nice.. I still have it stored away in my basement, pretty decent condition all things considered. Certainly was a solid free-ride board. I am the opposite of you, growing up was a Lib/Gnu guy in the park a bunch then blew out my knee and have had some issues with it since so mostly an all-mountain sort nowadays. Plus I'm getting old now.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!

Its all about what kind of all mountain riding. To me the sizes you are looking at are way too big. I ride a 154 Proto all mountain and 154 evo park at #175.

I realize there are many active members here who espouse larger boards.

There are also alot of eurocarvers throwing out advice, its important to understand the difference.

I ride the mountain like a skatepark, what some people call "all-mountain" is actually all mountain boardercross or groomer bombing.

I made a similar re-entry to the sport about 3 years ago at 34, you may end up with the perfect board - I didn't and its been a journey with bindings as well.