Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Beginner need LOTS OF HELP (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51127-beginner-need-lots-help.html)

Nube 11-13-2012 11:07 AM

Beginner need LOTS OF HELP

Greetings from Canada guys!!

I am new to snowboarding and had some questions.

Would a Burton Clash 151 be good for Freestyle? I will ride mostly park and work mostly on perfecting tricks. Occasionally I will Freeride.

Are Burton Freestyle bindings a good bet for beginner? Or should i get something better?

Thanks for any tips guys!!

pharcyde 11-13-2012 11:30 AM

how much experience do you have?

the clash is definitely a park board. how tall are you and whats your weight? those parameters are going to determine what length of board you should get.

the freestyle bindings i believe are traditional disc bindings, which means they won't be as responsive as re:flex or EST. if your just starting out thought, im sure theyll be fine. after you get more experience on the slopes with this setup youll be able to tell what you want.

phony_stark 11-13-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nube (Post 538410)
Greetings from Canada guys!!

I am new to snowboarding and had some questions.

Would a Burton Clash 151 be good for Freestyle? I will ride mostly park and work mostly on perfecting tricks. Occasionally I will Freeride.

Are Burton Freestyle bindings a good bet for beginner? Or should i get something better?

Thanks for any tips guys!!

What's your height and weight?

I can't remember where the other thread is, but, while I'm sure the clash will be a good board, most will tell you to spend the money on something that you won't outgrow and not to be afraid of some of the more "advanced" boards out there. They're perfectly rideable at any skill level.

I'd also get a different binding. If you're buying this year's stuff, the Union DLX worked way better for me for me at that price point. If you wanna buy last year's stuff, there's a lot of good bindings at deep discounts, that will work fine on whatever board you settle on.

Nube 11-13-2012 11:40 AM

I am 5 foot 11 and weigh 160 pounds with a athletic toned build.

eli783 11-13-2012 11:45 AM

Save yourself some dough n look for some used gear if you hadn't already. Freestyles are pretty soft. After about 2 wks, I wanted something that was more responsive

pharcyde 11-13-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phony_stark (Post 538422)
What's your height and weight?

I can't remember where the other thread is, but, while I'm sure the clash will be a good board, most will tell you to spend the money on something that you won't outgrow and not to be afraid of some of the more "advanced" boards out there. They're perfectly rideable at any skill level.

I'd also get a different binding. If you're buying this year's stuff, the Union DLX worked way better for me for me at that price point. If you wanna buy last year's stuff, there's a lot of good bindings at deep discounts, that will work fine on whatever board you settle on.

oh ya, definitely consider buying last years model of better bindings. theyll may still be a little more pricey than the disk freestyles but theyll be tons better. look around at BC Surf and Sport the ultimate surf, skate, longboard and snowboard shop.. your board is super soft so youll want soft bindings as well.

and welcome to the boards and to snowboarding. youll have lots of fun.

Cormier 11-13-2012 12:08 PM

What are you looking to do? This board may not be the best choice if you're just starting out on the mountain

+1 for getting last years gear! Brand new is still 50% off can't beat it! Much better stuff for the same cost!

You have boots already? I'd look a little higher in the burton line, missions, customs or cartels. Union is also very highly regarded.

pharcyde 11-13-2012 12:12 PM

omg im from mississauga too. 403/qew area. (threadjack!)

Cormier 11-13-2012 12:32 PM

LOL repin the 905! I'm a bit south of you in Clarkson!

Lamps 11-13-2012 12:40 PM

I suggest that you buy new boots, ideally last year's so that you get a discount. Go to the shop, try on lots of pairs. Very important to try the boots on first.

Buying last year's board/bindings will save on cost, or used stuff will also be fine for starting out.

Clash is probably a good choice, you sound like you're set on the park for most of your riding.

Don't skimp on boots, it's the most important part.