Powder Freestyle Board--Never Summer SL?? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

what is there 'to put up with' with the channel?
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm not going to post a bunch of photos.

I ride kirkwood a ton! over 100 days in the last 2 seasons alone.

At 160lbs a 162cm should not be too big for you if you are in shape and are an advanced/expert rider. I am 155lbs and have a 161cm board.

Now back to the debate at large.

If you are looking for more of a freestyle fun package I will suggest the following powder 'freestyle' boards.

Yes - Pick your line
K2 - Ultra Dream
Burton - Barracuda
Jones - Mountain Twin (arguably)

Since you want to spin and have more control I would size down to a 158 or so but I'll be honest. That 4cm is going to make that much difference in turning in powder/trees.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. I don't care.

See you at kirkwood I'm up Wed through Sun next week.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm eagerly waiting for my local shop to get my reserved 161CM Pick Your Line. After doing a ton of research I thought it had everything I wanted... directional board, big nose w/ a little taper to the tail and rocker outside the front binding for great float in pow, camber between the feet for stability and magne traction to deal w/ and ice you may come across by accident. Definitely a directional board, but I'm never riding switch for very long anyway. Can't wait to get out there. Very jealous of all you Kirkwood riders right now.
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
That is an interesting point. There are some people who make the opposite argument. For instance, on the Jones Snowboards site they talk specifically about how the blunted nose is better for powder (including for the Hovercraft, their dedicated powder stick).
Also, the NS Cobra has a blunted nose.

I tend to think that a nice long nose kick/rocker is more important for powder capability than the shape of the nose.
A gradual upturn is what makes it work. The nose length can be short but to get a gradual upturn you will lose a fair bit of the effective edge toward the front to rocker ie. the rocker has to start near your binding. A long nose just helps you keep a longer edge in the snow so the board will handle on piste as well as off.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Binarypie, I agree with you completely about the size--and that is why I will keep my Ride SPI's on my Billy Goat for really deep days when I just want to go fast and big. I have ridden that board for years in the trees as my only powder board, and I love how powerful it feels, but after weeks of riding a 156 Omatic Awesome (traditional camber) in the park waiting for a storm to hit it becomes apparent how much the 162 Billy Goat just likes to go forward and fast.

Do you really think the 158 won't be that much easier to whip around in the trees? Honestly that is something I am really hoping for, in addition to being able to ride switch in powder more easily and throw in a quick spin or log ride here and there.

As for my comment about the channel...I think what really makes me apprehensive is I have broken bindings by whacking them on rocks buried in powder and I wonder just how much abuse two screws and the channel can take... If it makes any difference I would be using adapter discs and not actual EST bindings. I'm guessing you don't have any complaints about the channel though Supra?
SnowBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBum View Post
Do you really think the 158 won't be that much easier to whip around in the trees? Honestly that is something I am really hoping for, in addition to being able to ride switch in powder more easily and throw in a quick spin or log ride here and there.
Look at the K2 Ultra Dream.

I think this might be more what you are looking for.

If I could afford to have a freestyle specific powder board I would own one.

Twin tip.
Tips that will float for days.

If it is anything like my gyrator you'll never sink.

The trade off is probably edge hold and responsiveness on non-pow days.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBum View Post
As for my comment about the channel...I think what really makes me apprehensive is I have broken bindings by whacking them on rocks buried in powder and I wonder just how much abuse two screws and the channel can take... If it makes any difference I would be using adapter discs and not actual EST bindings. I'm guessing you don't have any complaints about the channel though Supra?

Nope, no complaints here about the channel. Going back to regular 4x4 boards sucks because I have to hope my stance width matches the holes. Also, there's no reason you have to get est bindings, adapter discs work fine. In fact, I much prefer burton reflex bindings to their est counterparts.

I rode the ultra dream and while I liked it, I like the Sherlock so much more. btw you won't be losing edge hold/responsiveness on nonpow days on the ultra. It doesn't have the gy's pow rocker.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote