Never Summer Boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Boards

It seems like there are a lot of Never Summer fans on here. I'm not in the market for a new board, but I was just curious what the appeal of Never Summer boards are compared to other boards?
KnoxBoarderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxBoarderX View Post
It seems like there are a lot of Never Summer fans on here. I'm not in the market for a new board, but I was just curious what the appeal of Never Summer boards are compared to other boards?
My first NS board was a 2003 Never Summer Evo and to be honest, while it was a decent board... it didn't blow my mind. I've had 4 NS boards in the last 6 years, heck I had a Never Summer board on my wedding cake!

But even then I don't feel beholden to their company - if I find another company is making a better board, I'm going to buy from that company (well maybe not Burton). I support Never Summer, but I'm not blindly devoted to it.

I think the rocker camber hybrid revolution (that they arguable started), the fact that all of their boards are made in the USA, and social media hype launched their popularity through the roof. I'm sure Libtech disagrees but according to this article, they invented the first modern rocker camber hybrid board (forget Inca Snowboards) and took a huge risk to bring it to market (they actually recalled all their original board for that season at a significant cost to put out the rockered variants) and hence deserve much of the success they have been getting. Of course, with all popularity and success comes hype and backlash.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
My first board was a 2003 Never Summer Evo and to be honest, while it was a decent board... it didn't blow my mind. I think the rocker revolution (they they arguable started), the fact that all of their boards are made in the USA, and social media hype launched their popularity.

I'm sure Libtech disagrees but according to this article, they invented the first modern rocker board and took a huge risk to bring it to market.
I think you mean first Rocker Camber hybrid board. Don't think they were the first rockered board.

For me, my first NS board was due to hype. I was new, and needed to upgrade my Technine Split T snowboard. So I bought an SL for cheap. That thing did wonders for my confidence, immediately I was going faster. It was so damp and smooth.

NS boards in general are bulletproof, 3 year warranty, damp. They are not as lively as other boards though, perhaps not as playful. I found the Arbor Coda much more playful, don't know why, perhaps because of the springyness of it, more so than even when I was riding my Evo. On the Coda I was hopping off of everything I could find at Squaw and Alpine, save for the big jumps cuz I'm too old for that shit.

The Proto is one board I haven't tried yet that I want to. My boards for this upcoming season .. Arbor Westmark and NS Cobra. The NS dampness is quite something.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I think you mean first Rocker Camber hybrid board. Don't think they were the first rockered board.
Fixed my original post.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote