thinking about learning to wax and sharpen edges - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #51 (permalink)

on a new board you dont need a base cleaner/scrape but in the future just do a hot scrape and its as good as a base cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSbored View Post
on a new board you dont need a base cleaner/scrape but in the future just do a hot scrape and its as good as a base cleaner
It's not brand new per se, I have used it a few times.

So basically I just iron out the wax evenly, then just immidiately scrape it off?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
It's not brand new per se, I have used it a few times.

So basically I just iron out the wax evenly, then just immidiately scrape it off?
Let the wax cool off first, then scrape.

Watch the how to wax videos on YouTube there are many good ones.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #54 (permalink)

Well I meant to clean the base before doing the real wax
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #55 (permalink)

gotta love hertel super hot sauce wax!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
Well I meant to clean the base before doing the real wax
the hot scrape thing is new to me. Unless there's something really wierd about the base that you want to clean everything off and start fresh, I'd just give it a good brushing with a wire brush and then wax it, scrape it, brush with non wire brush, optionally polish with scrubby pad.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #57 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post

I've given up scraping btw. I just put on a lighter coat of wax and let it come off naturally. I'm not racing, so if I want to go faster I turn less
I posted a question about this a while ago and other people seemed to agree you can skip the scraping part after you wax. This for me really changes the whole exercise; wax scrapings make a mess and they get tracked all over and no matter how much you sweep they seem to stick to the floor and get everywhere. I hate the scraping part and the mess that goes with it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #58 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I posted a question about this a while ago and other people seemed to agree you can skip the scraping part after you wax. This for me really changes the whole exercise; wax scrapings make a mess and they get tracked all over and no matter how much you sweep they seem to stick to the floor and get everywhere. I hate the scraping part and the mess that goes with it.
Dear god I hope you're joking... You're better of NOT waxing than waxing and not scraping!

I usually do mine over a towel or blanket, then shake it out outside. It's not that big a deal.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #59 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Dear god I hope you're joking... You're better of NOT waxing than waxing and not scraping!

I usually do mine over a towel or blanket, then shake it out outside. It's not that big a deal.
I dunno, I ride a lot of fake snow here in Onterrible, and it chews through wax like mad, I'm going to try it out and see, I have two boards so I'll scrape one and not the other and see if I find it much different on the same day with same wax. I'll also see how long the unscraped wax stays on, I think it will get chewed away in no time. per the quote below I think that there are others who agree. With four people boarding in my family and only me waxing blowing off the scraping seriuosly changes how long I will spend doing it.

Originally Posted by Supra

Quote:
I've given up scraping btw. I just put on a lighter coat of wax and let it come off naturally. I'm not racing, so if I want to go faster I turn less.

Last edited by Lamps; 11-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post

No really, its true except on fresh days. When riding manmade, WROD or spring slush, you can scrape if you want or the first couple runs will do it for you.

Go find your local ski legend guy at the bar, after he's done laughing at you for waxing at all he may let you in on the little secret that scraping is a waste of time.

I still scrape when its cold or fresh, but often thats not the case like for the last 18 months.

I like the extra wax on there when it aint fresh also because all of that other shitty snow seems to just rip the wax right out of my deck, and I can go longer riding on it before the white hazy spots of dryness show up.
Closed Thread