Did I screw up on multiple issues for this board/bindings/boots combo? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: la bella vita
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
Anyone who's not butt hurt like the guy a few posts above knows 151 is too short for 75 kg's and isn't recommended unless it's strictly for jibbing. Which is exactly what I stated in my first post.
Pot, meet Kettle.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm only here for the apres"
Alkasquawlik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Whoa whoa whoa... I actually agree in general that someone 75kg/165 lbs should be looking for something in the 156 range unless they specifically want to do all park. If they are beginner, then while I prefer that they get something like a 156... they are going so slow it really isn't going to make a difference starting out... if they already have a board, they might as well ride it.
Absolutely. I never implied getting a short board was the end of it. Sure, he/she will absolutely be able to ride the board either way. My point was that, unless you're only gonna jibb, a too short board isn't recommend.

And two or three people decided to misunderstand and be complete dicks about it, instead of reading between the lines and comprehending.

At least OP got what I/we were saying, that's all that matters in the end.
KungMartin is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tropical did you ever think you'd get 4 pages out of such a simple question


-I'm Slyder and I suffer from "Gummer Syndrome"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slyder is offline  
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, to be honest, no.

Well, multiple people with different opinions, I guess. It's educational for me to read up as I can get a feel on how people see these questions from different aspects. It gives me something to consider and broaden my views on these topics.

I am thankful for all the help.
Tropical is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
sxdaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePlant4Free View Post
better too small and flexible than too long and aggressive for starting out.

you probably won't understand what you're feeling for a few years anyhow.
^^^this

specially if you are learning. Im 6'1 and my first board was an 164. I wish i started with something shorter, but as that post says you wouldnt understand if you are in the process of learning. Once you want something specific start doing your research for the riding style you like or planning to do.
sxdaca is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdaca View Post
^^^this

specially if you are learning. Im 6'1 and my first board was an 164. I wish i started with something shorter, but as that post says you wouldnt understand if you are in the process of learning. Once you want something specific start doing your research for the riding style you like or planning to do.
I don't know... I mean this is all a matter of opinion - but I don't think it's terrible if you accidentally go a little long either. I find a lot of people use bad/sloppy technique to turn the board (not using proper leverage)... but they can get away with it because the board is so short and soft... then they ride their first mogul field, tree run, or steep slope - and their crappy technique immediately shows as they have a ton of trouble doing anything but falling leaf.

The way I see it, it's like learning to drive on a car with stick instead of automatic... or learning to throw a football using a real football instead of one of those nerf footballs with the fins in the back. It's harder and kind of sucks when you are learning... but if you can get through that.... you are better than someone who learned the easy way.
lonerider is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
sxdaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I don't know... I mean this is all a matter of opinion - but I don't think it's terrible if you accidentally go a little long either. I find a lot of people use bad/sloppy technique to turn the board (not using proper leverage)... but they can get away with it because the board is so short and soft... then they ride their first mogul field, tree run, or steep slope - and their crappy technique immediately shows as they have a ton of trouble doing anything but falling leaf.

The way I see it, it's like learning to drive on a car with stick instead of automatic... or learning to throw a football using a real football instead of one of those nerf footballs with the fins in the back. It's harder and kind of sucks when you are learning... but if you can get through that.... you are better than someone who learned the easy way.
true, there are many teaching/learning philosphies that can be applied. another example that i can add is about the board profile. reverse camber is "supposed" to be the easier way to learn, but when i taught my uncle he said the camber board was easier to control. so i guess that would be personal preference.

in this case i think the easier option fits better his situation.
sxdaca is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdaca View Post
true, there are many teaching/learning philosphies that can be applied. another example that i can add is about the board profile. reverse camber is "supposed" to be the easier way to learn, but when i taught my uncle he said the camber board was easier to control. so i guess that would be personal preference.

in this case i think the easier option fits better his situation.
I agree... it can't be so difficult that the person quits. I'm just saying if you do make it through the trial by fire... you will be tempered steel!

The thing with camber is you know exactly where you balance is. You are either on you uphill edge, flatboard... or on the ground (because you caught your downhill edge). Well, before that you will see snow popping over your board (indicator that you downhill edge is beginning to drag into the snow... you will feel it too).

With reverse camber you can be in no-man's land where you aren't quite flat boarding, but you aren't really on edge either (and you might be leaning towards your downhill edge but you don't know yet -- until you slam). In that case you board can rotate like a rudderless raft in a river (spinning randomly).
lonerider is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,964
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Whoa whoa whoa... I actually agree in general that someone 75kg/165 lbs should be looking for something in the 156 range unless they specifically want to do all park. If they are beginner, then while I prefer that they get something like a 156... they are going so slow it really isn't going to make a difference starting out... if they already have a board, they might as well ride it.

Seriously, snowklinger, snowolf, etc... ... do I sound like this guy when I post?
lol no, and when we were discussing earlier, I'm just usually trying to offer a 2nd opinion or play devils advocate. wtf do I care right.

authoritative comments on subjective issues are funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
True, when you don't got a lot to start with, every cm counts, ya know


please tell me to fuck off, it might be the nicest thing I've heard all day lol
don't threaten me with a good time!

this round goes to Mixie even with below the belt punches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
Ah, to be honest, no.

Well, multiple people with different opinions, I guess. It's educational for me to read up as I can get a feel on how people see these questions from different aspects. It gives me something to consider and broaden my views on these topics.

I am thankful for all the help.
Return everything!!!

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 11-16-2012 at 03:04 AM.
snowklinger is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome