First day with a Never Summer Evo... stiff? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I really like my Never Summer boards, but to be honest, they are not head above shoulders (is that the phrase?) better than every other board in the market for every rider.
I don't think any board (or any piece of equipment) can be significantly better than the competition, at least not for long. The only exception would be a radically better design that is patented. Even then they'd license it to competitors, and the playing field would level again.

You get niche players like Flow bindings that use a different design and appeal to a certain market segment. You've got players like Burton that provide a mounting alternative or three. You've got occasionally players that get a huge bump because of a perceived cool factor. But in terms of quality, everyone's using more or less the same technology and the same base materials, so you should end up with more or less the same quality of board for the same price range.

I like my NS Heritage because it's the first non-cheapy board I've owned. I don't have a lot of experience with different good-quality boards. There's not a lot of opportunity to test-drive boards in Western Canada, so once you find something that works you'll tend to stick with it unless you have a lot of $$ to burn.

I don't think NS is "the best". I do think it's damn well good enough for my riding.

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post

But in terms of quality, everyone's using more or less the same technology and the same base materials, so you should end up with more or less the same quality of board for the same price range.
Quoted for truth. Pretty much anyone can find anything from any major manufacturer and have a great time on it. It just comes down to which companies you want to support.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

For me, I'm not really partial to one brand or another. I'm just looking for the best equipment that will suit my style for my money.

I'm wondering if I was under the wrong assumption that the Evo was a soft, buttery, playful board. I feel like I took a big step forward going from the Custom X to the Postermania but a small step back with the Evo. This is just a first impression with the board. On paper, it looks like a good fit for me. Narrow waist, blunted tips, touted as soft, playful and lively.

It's still early season and the forecast is marginal for snow right now. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it again soon. If I don't start to love it I think I'll keep an eye out for Artifact Rocker 150 on the cheap.
canbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbc View Post
I'm wondering if I was under the wrong assumption that the Evo was a soft, buttery, playful board. I feel like I took a big step forward going from the Custom X to the Postermania but a small step back with the Evo. This is just a first impression with the board. On paper, it looks like a good fit for me. Narrow waist, blunted tips, touted as soft, playful and lively.

It's still early season and the forecast is marginal for snow right now. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it again soon. If I don't start to love it I think I'll keep an eye out for Artifact Rocker 150 on the cheap.
Sounds like a good plan.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
First a bit of background. I've been snowboarding for about 12 seasons. Get in about 25 days each season. I used to love bombing big mountain runs at Whistler on my Custom X but in the last couple years I've completely mellowed out and mainly ride a smaller local mountain. Now I'm mostly dorking around, doing ground tricks, 180s and boardslides. Last year I bought a Rome Postermania 153 which was really soft, playful and had nice pop. It felt slightly large for me though and I wanted to size down.

This season I bought a 2012 Never Summer Evo 150 paired with 2013 Burton Malavitas. I was looking for a pure park board for jibs, jumps and buttering around. Rode it for the first time today and it feels quite a bit stiffer than I was expecting. Buttering around felt like a chore. Tail manuals weren't effortless and I barely could get nose manuals going. It was the first day of my season so I could just be rusty. Maybe the board needs more time to break in. Maybe my expectations were too high. Not entirely sure.

I actually took a lift up with another guy who had an identical board. He told me he loved his and he found it soft and flexy.

Other first impressions: The build quality is great and I love the blue base with the green eagle. It felt smooth and catch-free on the boxes that were set up. No decent jumps were available so I didn't get a good feel for the pop but it only felt so-so popping over rollers. It's a twin so of course riding switch feels great.

It's last years board so I'm probably not telling you guys anything new but I would be interested if anyone else found the 2012 Evo a bit stiff.
Dude, did I talk to you on Cypress yesterday?

You asked my buddy about his NS SL, we joked about body armour, etc...
Penzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

I see you've got the Malavitas too, pretty sure we spoke on a lift yesterday, I was rocking a bad ass beard.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penzer View Post
I see you've got the Malavitas too, pretty sure we spoke on a lift yesterday, I was rocking a bad ass beard.
Yea man, that was me! I remember you guys. Sweet beard, man.

I thought Never Summer was still pretty obscure here in Vancouver. None of my riding partners had heard of it when I told them I bought one. When I saw the logo on your friend's board I had to ask him about it. Funny thing, on my next lift up, I got on with a guy with the identical Evo as mine. Must be more popular here than I thought.

Supposed to be raining for the next while. Hopefully it's cold enough on the mountains to snow. If we run into each other again at cypress we should do a few laps together.
canbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hilarious, small world.

I find a lot of casual riders here have not heard of neversummer, but any hardcore boarding enthusiasts know about them. They seem to be more common in the interior, but you'll still see lots out here.

That was day one of riding, it will probably be more butterable once you've got your legs warmed up for the season.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Got to say I was the bit the same when I first rode my evo canbc, granted mine is a 161 and a 2010 model. However, since then I've come to love it, got about 30 days on it, mainly doing park/natrual features and it feels far softer then the first run. Give it a bit of time, it'll soften.
Lysergic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
I thought Never Summer was still pretty obscure here in Vancouver.
I've got the Heritage. Grafta has an Evo, IIRC.

It might be because none of the mall-type sports shops sell NS. The only shop that sells them in the lower mainland that I know of is the Boardroom.

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evo, never summer