Right size for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Not the end of the world but yeh it will likely suck in most conditions. Sizing varies with style, board, and rider.

I used to be 190lbs and rode a 160. I'm down to 160lbs these days and ride a 156. I freeride more and the sizes work for me. My rotund buddy is 240lbs and rides a 160 quite nimbly in most conditions.

At least you have something for something for powder I guess but there's mostly skill and technique involved in that area. If you don't see yourself gaining another 50 lbs then it won't be fun with such a big board. It'll feel like a plank.
futurefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by protechjump View Post
I'm a size 9! Yikes! I have a feeling I'm going to get fucked up. I do lots of spins and from your info I'm real fucked. I ordered it so it's shipping right now. I bought it for 425 BRAND NEW 2013!!!!! SO It was a good deal right? Am I real fuckd or no?
The 160 is not what you want. The X is a power board when correctly sized, it will be a bear when it is 3 sizes too large. For your specs, the 152 will be the correct choice. I would highly suggest that you return the 160. There is no good price for a board that is a bad fit. The X is an amazing deck for the right rider, but you should know that you want one. It is going to be too much for many riders. This is not an easy going board. It wants what it wants.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
There is no good price for a board that is a bad fit.
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

You're not fucked as long as you can return it. And if you can't return it, you better get on trying to re-sell it and hopefully you can break even or close to it, since you got that board for $425 and retails for like 650.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

You are so fucked if you want to spin on that thing haha. Massively overkill.

You should be looking at 156cm for freeride, less for jibbing/spinning and playing around (150-153)
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefunk View Post
My rotund buddy
that is the most awesome description i've ever heard of a fat man.
KungMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You are so fucked if you want to spin on that thing haha. Massively overkill.

You should be looking at 156cm for freeride, less for jibbing/spinning and playing around (150-153)
On this deck Burton's absolute minimum rider weight for the 156 is 135. It is never a great idea to be at the max of a deck's design but it is even more of an issue with this deck which is the self proclaimed "The hardest charging board we make...for pros".
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have 3 seasons of snowboarding under my belt with 40+ days each season. I believe I'm an advanced-expert snowboarder. I've boarded with a Sims Vice 2009 (So shitty they sell it at sportmart) for all my days. I'm 5'9 and 135 pounds and have ordered the Burton Custom X 160cm. My riding style is freeriding and jumps. Have I made a terrible mistake? Or is this a good length since I'm advanced? THanks for your answers
Anyone who has read my posts knows that I prefer longer, stiffer boards that most people on this forum... BUT in this case I would recommend going shorter to like 156 or even the 152 (I just looked up the size recommendations on Burton's website). My reasoning is that the Custom X is so much a step up from your previous board and no offense, but I'm still not sure about how advanced you are at riding (I have never seen you ride).

It is totally possible you will love the 160 cm Custom X, but without knowing you very well, I can't say I would recommend it to people in general.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Maybe this'll help you in assessing my skills. I'm also a cross racer and placed 2nd in provincials with that shit board. It was against all the schools in bc. At my age right now, I'm gaining 5lbs a month minimum. My technique is also 100%. I can't return it, but should I still sell it? I'm getting such a negative feeling towards my purchase.
protechjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Out of interest, if it is unused and still in transit, why would you be unable to return it?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe this'll help you in assessing my skills. I'm also a cross racer and placed 2nd in provincials with that shit board. It was against all the schools in bc. At my age right now, I'm gaining 5lbs a month minimum. My technique is also 100%. I can't return it, but should I still sell it? I'm getting such a negative feeling towards my purchase.
What province... if it's BC or Quebec sure... go for the 160cm then.

Even Alberta maybe... but if something like Nova Scotia... I've met two racers from the Nova Scotia team ... well ok they were girls but still, they were not that great riders as I would have expected them to be.

If you ALREADY have it (and didn't pay full price for it... hopefully 50% off right?)... just ride it as I agree that unless you are like 5'4"... you will be gaining some weight the next few years (although I graduated high school 5'9" 125 lbs myself). If you paid full price, then I would definitely return it.

In my opinion... you are getting negativity because most of the people on this forum can't actually carve a snowboard at speed very well ... and so they get really short boards to compensate for their lack of skill. They can't IMAGINE someone being better than them and being able to ride a snowboard 3-6 cm longer... that's crap, but at the same time you need to be realistic about your own abilities. You must have some type of coach/advisor that snowboards, don't you?

Last edited by lonerider; 11-16-2012 at 08:19 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, custom, length, size, skill