Lamar Cranium vs Sims Protocol vs? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lamar Cranium vs Sims Protocol vs?

Hy. I have been riding for about 5 years and this year i want to try some new stuff (some jumping and some buttering) while still riding all mountain. I'm 176 cm and weigh 190 pounds. I found some boards on sale at extremely good prices and was wondering if you could give me any tips. So the boards are:

1. Lamar Cranium 11/12 (also the Fixx and the Click)
2. Sims Protocol 11/12
3. BTM PRV RC 10/11
4. LTD Vector 11/12
5. aaand the probably the whole Matrix line-up for 11/12

I wrote them in the order that i consider to be reasonable. Could you please give me some advice? Thanks .

calin.fleancu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Basically the choices are the Lamar and the Sims. The only real question is would the SIMS have too much flex for my weight and height (176 cm and 190 lb), considering that i usually ride all-mountain. I was considering 151 or 154 cm. An advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

if you're still going to go all mountain then go with the SIMS i guess. It is a camber hybrid i think??? if so it'll give you a little more stability for all mountain...

still, i think there are better boards with more tech out there that are a few seasons old that you can get for roughly the same price.

FacePlant4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

They are both rockers.
I found then at great prices, that's why i am only considering the two (i live in Europe... Romania to be precise ).
The tech i think is ok with both of them.

Lamar: Rocker, Carbon-steel edges, sintered base, two carbon strips, poplar core, triaxial fiberglass.
SIMS: Rocker, Steel edges, extruded base, one carbon strip, poplar core, biaxial fiberglass.

Regarding the Cranium, i found only one review, and that says that it is above what's to be expected of lamar (actually he was extremely happy with the board). As far as the sims goes, i didn't manage to find any review for the 11/12 model.

The problem is that i'm quite heavy for my height, so i'm not very sure if the sims has a little to much flex for me, so that it would get unstable at higher speed.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

aia ii ca din romania nu prea ai ce sa iti cumperi mare lucru...si la niste preturi.. poate la cate kile ai ar merge mai bine ceva mai mare..158 poate si mai mare. cel putin daca ii singura ta placa ti-ar trebui una putin mai lunga. eu chiar am o placa lamar ceva mai veche pe care am invatat si is foarte multumit. am 95 kg si placa de 163cm. vad ca lamar are sintered base, a mea fiind mai veche cred ca ii extruded ceea ce inseamna ca trebuie ceruita destul de des..eu o ceruiam la fiecare iesire. sau ai mai putea sa iti cumperi ceva second( nu eu o vand), sau mai poti cauta pe snowboard.ro sectiunea bazar. am si eu de vanzare un lamar intrigue din 2009 in stare f buna cu legaturi santacruz doar ca e de 163cm, si nu o vand chiar acuma ...astept sa imi ajunga o placa si daca ajunge atunci o vand:P.
http://www.okazii.ro/alte-sporturi-i...cm--a115198471

Last edited by fraxmental; 11-16-2012 at 02:20 PM.
fraxmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Specs alone, the lamar is the better board for what you want to ride: sintered>extruded, triax> biax (for stiffness).
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is a review site that in my limited experience i have found to be pretty accurate
2013 LaMar Cranium Used and Reviewed

i think he has some reviews of other lamar boards as well.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haha. Actually that was the only review i found. I think it's quite comprehensive and useful. As far as the sintered base goes, for me it's not a big plus because it's less durable and it's high maintenance (and i'm not that much of a speed freak ).
The only thing is that i don't exactly like the lamar design. I find it to be a little childish :P. But it's true that the specs are superior.
Has anyone ridden any of them? My problem is that i'm quite heavy and i'm afraid that the sims would have too much flex.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sintered bases are more durable then extruded, they are harder. My extruded base boards get banged up faster than my sintered bases. make the choice on the board first. If you don't like the graphics just use lots of stickers.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

that is actually a very good idea with the stickers. That's why i was in doubt, because on paper the lamar really seems the better board.

p.s. regarding the durability of the sintered base, i never owned one, so the info was from the articles i read. :-??

Tags
cranium, lamar, protocol, sims