NS board opposite of the Skate Banana - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS board opposite of the Skate Banana

Im currently in the market for a new board and already have a skate banana and I was looking into a never summer board thats meant for the opposite conditions of the skate banana, I don't do the whole park/jumps type of riding, and i would consider myself more towards the advanced stages of riding. I find that the skate banana gets really shaky and unstable at high speeds, what would be something that can handle that in the NS line up? Thank you.
LoEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

damn, what speeds are you going at? 60 miles per h?

i regularly go 35 mph+ without any problems.

also why did you even buy a SB if you're not into what it's made for in the first place? just curious.

OT: i know nothing of Never Summer boards. "Opposite" of SB would prolly be camber? hybrid rocker is also something to consider.
KungMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not really following..

Do you mean you want the opposite of the Skate Banana, so a camber board, or the opposite, as in a freeride board?

I'll assume the latter, in which case you should be looking at the Never Summer Raptor.

Perfect for high speeds and carving.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you really are advanced, never ride switch and only carve on groomers, I say raptor. If you like to mess in the trees/pow, maybe the Cobra. Anything equal to or higher than the flex/dampening of the SL should meet your needs. You don't need to go super stiff unless you want to alpine carve it up.

Get the Raptor if you want to ride like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0hY1_OfGQ0
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoEdge View Post
Im currently in the market for a new board and already have a skate banana and I was looking into a never summer board thats meant for the opposite conditions of the skate banana, I don't do the whole park/jumps type of riding, and i would consider myself more towards the advanced stages of riding. I find that the skate banana gets really shaky and unstable at high speeds, what would be something that can handle that in the NS line up? Thank you.
I personally hate the Skate Banana for that reason. I dislike BTX/MTX in general (to be fair the last Lib/Gnuboard I rode was like 2010).

So to start out, Never Summer is not the only company out there... but since you are asking, in my opinion Never Summer is basically the opposite of a Skate Banana -they are more damp (less shake) and stable. For you I would look at the Cobra / Premier / Raptor (those get progressively stiffer).

Again, there are lots of boards that are better than the Skate Banana for the riding you want to do, but to narrow it down... we need more information. Where do you ride? Do you ride groomers or trees more often (percentages help)? Do you get a lot of powder where you ride, etc. Any video of yourself riding might help too.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Get the Raptor if you want to ride like this:
alpine carving snowboarding - YouTube
Here are some videos of some people actually carving on a NS Raptor:

AcroPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

First off, thanks for the responses. i agree the skate banana i guess is not the ideal board for what i am doing, however it was my first board and i wasn't sure what i wanted to do and/or the person that sold it to my didn't understand what kind of board i wanted. As far as the conditions i ride in, i live in the north east and go to killington about 10-15 times a season and to local mountains quite a bit, mostly its hard packed granular and ice at the local mountains and at killington the conditions are usually good, if they dont get any snow there usually good about making it. Also, im going to mont tremblant in early jan and if usually snows non-stop there so hopefully ill get some good power conditions while im there. I just dont want a board thats similar to the skate banana, because im going to be taking them both where ever i go (esp. to mont tremblant) and depending on the conditions and what i feel like doing for the day, i can easily switch

Last edited by LoEdge; 11-16-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoEdge View Post
First off, thanks for the responses. i agree the skate banana i guess is not the ideal board for what i am doing, however it was my first board and i wasn't sure what i wanted to do and/or the person that sold it to my didn't understand what kind of board i wanted. As far as the conditions i ride in, i live in the north east and go to killington about 10-15 times a season and to local mountains quite a bit, mostly its hard packed granular and ice at the local mountains and at killington the conditions are usually good, if they dont get any snow there usually good about making it. Also, im going to mont tremblant in early jan and if usually snows non-stop there so hopefully ill get some good power conditions while im there. I just dont want a board thats similar to the skate banana, because im going to be taking them both where ever i go (esp. to mont trembling) and depending on the conditions and what i feel like doing for the day, i can easily switch.
Sounds like a good plan. I used to ride Killington and Loon Valley a lot with a longer trip up to Orford/St Anne/Tremblant late January (only place we could reliably get East Coast deep powder).

Never Summer have very good edge hold so I think they are still in the running. Beyond that, because I don't know your ability level/preference it's hard for me to suggest a particular board between the Cobra, Premier, or Raptor... I'm leaning towards the Cobra as that will be still very different in feel from the Skate Banana... without going completely hardcore freeriding as the Premier and Raptor are. Also realize that I have not actually ride the Cobra/Premier/Raptor... I've only ridden 2003, 2012 Evo, 2012 Proto, and 2008, 2009, 2012 SL and am extrapolating from my experiences with those boards.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

As far as the feel your talking about (from the skate banana to the cobra) from my understanding the skate banana if a fairly soft board then the cobra is more on the stiff side, what will the major difference be?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also, getting away from never summer, what other boards would you recommend for what im looking for