Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Arbor help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51273-arbor-help.html)

Bobby 11-17-2012 06:47 AM

Arbor help!

OK I posted last night at the end of a long thread but this is kind of a different topic so:

I'm really into these Arbor boards and need to pick a model. As a rider, I spend 90% of my time on groomers where I generally like to pick up a lot of speed and carve around. Maybe go to the park for an hour a day and hit small jumps and rails, so that's not my priority, but I don't want to be completely held back either there either.

Also I'm coming off a K2 Zeppelin which I learned on and is pretty much all I know. I'm ready for some new technology, but also am a little scared to completely jump ship. The Zep as I understand was a pretty (maybe even considered VERY) stiff camber board. The Arbor the guy at the shop showed me was an Element RX (friggen beautiful). But I also saw the CX online. Would the RX be good for me? Also how does it compare to the Coda? Or any other models I should be considering? Would like to pick up right away....HELP!

Wiredsport 11-17-2012 09:37 AM

Hi Bobby,

Are you in the mood to try something new? The RX is a sick deck and it currently outsells the cambered version by ~ 7 to 1. Some of that is fashion, and some of that is that Griptech and RX works really well. You should be aware that it will feel very different than your Zep. You are upgrading a lot more than just the profile and the overall package you are moving to will be a huge bump up. What is your foot size and your weight? What size Zep have you been on?

Bobby 11-17-2012 09:50 AM

I'm a size 9 and 160 lbs. My Zep was 158 which was a little big for me, I'm looking at like 155 now.

Here's the thing. I picked up the Machete last week, and was considering exchanging it for the Arbor after finding them the day after my purchase. BUT since the Machete is a rocker profile, and I've been hesitant about trying that, I was thinking of keeping it and buying last years model Element CX at a big discount so maybe I have the best of both worlds and a choice? Good thinking or wasteful?

Wiredsport 11-17-2012 10:37 AM

Lowrize rocker is very loose. It is essentially flat underfoot with the contact points lifted a little bit. There is no additional magenetraction or griptech to add traction back in. That is very appealing to many riders but it is the exact opposite of the Zep. If you are down with owning two boards at the (relative) extremes then that is a solid way to go. If you would prefer one deck that is more up the middle than you would choose the rx.

Bobby 11-17-2012 10:49 AM

Ok so just to be a little more clear, which of the two Elements is like the ZEP? The CX right? Would that essentially be more like upgrading my Zep since you pointed out that I would be "upgrading a lot more than just the profile and the overall package you are moving to will be a huge bump up."

This way I'd have newer board with newer technology but not totally foreign to me, and still try something new with the Machete? I don't see any RX discounted so buying that and keeping the Machete isn't an option.

Wiredsport 11-17-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby (Post 540284)
Ok so just to be a little more clear, which of the two Elements is like the ZEP? The CX right? Would that essentially be more like upgrading my Zep since you pointed out that I would be "upgrading a lot more than just the profile and the overall package you are moving to will be a huge bump up."

This way I'd have newer board with newer technology but not totally foreign to me, and still try something new with the Machete? I don't see any RX discounted so buying that and keeping the Machete isn't an option.

The CX is traditional camber like your Zep. If you are looking for a newer board with that new car smell this will be a great option. It will not be an enourmos difference in terms of ride however as it does not take advantage of the two newer technologies that I was mentioning. Griptech and the newer profile of the rx is where the substantial modern changes have occured.

jdang307 11-17-2012 11:34 AM

Go with the rocker! Something different than your existing board.

I rode the Coda. Arbor Rocker + Griptech = Fun. A lot of it.

I get mixed signals about the Element RX, some say it's stiffer than the Coda, some say it's softer, so that tells me they're pretty close.

Keep the Zeppelin. Buy the RX.

Thatguy 11-17-2012 02:38 PM

i just wrote a review for my new arbor coda http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...tml#post540348

but as far as arbors go there not exactly a beginners board, they run a bit stiffer and nowadays arbor is gearing towards rockers and hybrid boards as are a lot of companies out there, so if you a bomber you may want to look else where (coming from me that's sayin alot, after my first arbor i havnt rode anything else im stuck to them major fan boy) but if your really stuck to the idea of getting an arbor they are amazing boards but i would suggest the element rx as its a camber board good for high speeds and leaving other behind, or you could go with the westmark great board geared more towards park but i rode one of these for two seasons and still have it for days i want to mess around(note mine was made before rocker design had the impact it does now) and bomb the runs

and sorry i should specify its not the rocker or hybrid techs that make them unfriendly to beginners, i would just say its there stiffness or lack of depending on which board in comparison to what each board is designed for.

Bobby 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

Hey Thatguy,

Well I'm not a beginner, I started 6 years ago and have gone every year (notably though some seasons only a few days), so I have good control of myself but I ony know what I know which is why I'm seeking some advice on it. But you said "but i would suggest the element rx as its a camber board good for high speeds and leaving other behind" - but the RX is the rocker not the camber. Did you mean the CX or did you mean RX and classified it wrong?

Bobby 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

So basically no one has any love for the CX it sounds like? ha