Which Lib-Tech? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Lib-Tech?

Hey guys,

I am a new member here and would love your advice on a new board purchase. I have been boarding for 4 years. I currently own a 2008 Lib Tech TRS 162 and Thirty-Two TM-Two boots size 12. I am 5'11" and when I bought the board I was 210 lbs, now I am closer to the 180 lb mark. I love the board, however as I progressed into tight trees I found that this was difficult to do. It might be just my skill level, or the board. I would consider myself an advanced rider.

-I do not enter the park.
-I rarely do groomers
-I like trees and off the beaten track
-I want to be able to corner better and have more control on very steep mountain terrain

I am looking at purchasing a new board and would like to stick with LibTech. I cant seem to find the difference or what would be best for my style of riding between the Travis Rice Pro, Travis Rice Pro HP and the Total Ripper series. I was also leaning towards the 157 this time.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
pamantea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should really look at the Lib Tech Skunk Ape I have it in a 157W and it handles great on speed, carving and if you want it will handle in the park!

It has the same C2 BTX hybrid camber as the T-rice Pro but it has a different top sheet.
jcam1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I will look into that. I just spoke with a shop owner who sells these boards and he suggested that the TRS and Travis Rice Pro are VERY similar and that the HP might help a little bit through corners but either way any of these boards at a 157 would be much better than what I am currently using.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

He's going to say the HP cuz it cost more.

Being a size 12 you would want a mid wide like the Trice or a Wide like the Skunk Ape.

I would check the Lynn or Landvick in the Wide in 157. Landvick has 3D orgs which would make the board more responsive.

I don't think you could go wrong with anything in their line if it's a wide and around a 57 except the Sk8banana, cuz its a park board.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamantea View Post
Thanks, I will look into that. I just spoke with a shop owner who sells these boards and he suggested that the TRS and Travis Rice Pro are VERY similar and that the HP might help a little bit through corners but either way any of these boards at a 157 would be much better than what I am currently using.
He is telling you BS. The TRS and the T. Rice have some similarities (true twins, same C2BTX camber profile, similar construction for the TRS and the non-HP T. Rice) but are really quite different boards.
The T. Rice is a stiff charger, best suited for big mountain riding (although it will carve nicely on groomers, too). It is also a mid-wide. There is really not much joy in trying to butter with this board or hit the park (other than the jump line).
The TRS in contrast is a softer and much more playful board. It is much better suited for all-mountain riding (some groomers, some pow, some laps in the park).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
He is telling you BS. The TRS and the T. Rice have some similarities (true twins, same C2BTX camber profile, similar construction for the TRS and the non-HP T. Rice) but are really quite different boards.
The T. Rice is a stiff charger, best suited for big mountain riding (although it will carve nicely on groomers, too). It is also a mid-wide. There is really not much joy in trying to butter with this board or hit the park (other than the jump line).
The TRS in contrast is a softer and much more playful board. It is much better suited for all-mountain riding (some groomers, some pow, some laps in the park).

I went to look at the TRS 157 and Travis Rice Pro HP 157 today. Given that my boots are a size 12, I think I prefer the HP with the SLIGHT extra width. The firm rating is a 6 for the TRS and a 7 for the HP. I dont think that that slight of a difference should be too extreme. I am leaning towards the HP from what I saw and was told however I am open to opinions. I am getting a pretty sick price on the board which is another reason why I want to jump on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

SGboarder beat me to it. Pretty much exactly that.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know you want a lib tec but also look at a gnu billy goat, snowwolf did a review on it seems to be what you would be looking for.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGboarder View Post
The flex ratings might be similar, but the stiffness of the boards is not. The gap narrows a bit as you go longer (because the stiffness of the TRS increases more with extra length) but it will always be considerable.
For your described riding, it depends on whether you prefer agility in the trees (TRS) or stability when bombing steeps (T. Rice). Both good boards, but for different purposes.
I do enjoy a variety of both styles of riding. I should also mention (although might not be applicable) that I train 6 days a week and should have the muscle to spin and turn the board. The guy mentioned with my size either board would be fine due to that. I will be boarding all season at Red Mountain in Rossland, BC.

Your last statement worries me. Will I have trouble weaving through the trees on the pro hp 157? It should still be a huge upgrade and improvement from the 162 TRS reg camber board from 2008 right?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great discussion. Thanks for pointing out the differences, which for some reason have been difficult to find.
SnowbirdMD is offline   Reply With Quote