Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Little core shot/base grind (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51304-little-core-shot-base-grind.html)

ARSENALFAN 11-17-2012 10:14 PM

Little core shot/base grind

I have about 25-30 days on my Attack Banana. I have had it sharpened and waxed 3 times. Never had a base grind. Was out riding multiple rocks today at Sunshine Village (thanks to TorpedoVega's 11 AM beer drinking party) and got me a small core shot - about the size of a dime. My edges are nicked all over the place from other days on the hill and are fairly dull. I have been cruising the forum and agree that some people seem to obscess about their board a little too much. I have magnetraction and was bombing the hill just fine today. The board obviously needs wax as the edges are white, but no big deal - she still rockets down the mountain. My question is: do you need to take any action if you have a core shot? Or just forget about it? Should I consider a once a year base grind? Maybe I should get it filled and have a grind to start the year off right. I am leaning towards just forgetting about it and riding the bitch until it looks really bad. What do you think?

OldDog 11-17-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN (Post 540500)
I have about 25-30 days on my Attack Banana. I have had it sharpened and waxed 3 times. Never had a base grind. Was out riding multiple rocks today at Sunshine Village (thanks to TorpedoVega's 11 AM beer drinking party) and got me a small core shot - about the size of a dime. My edges are nicked all over the place from other days on the hill and are fairly dull. I have been cruising the forum and agree that some people seem to obscess about their board a little too much. I have magnetraction and was bombing the hill just fine today. The board obviously needs wax as the edges are white, but no big deal - she still rockets down the mountain. My question is: do you need to take any action if you have a core shot? Or just forget about it? Should I consider a once a year base grind? Maybe I should get it filled and have a grind to start the year off right. I am leaning towards just forgetting about it and riding the bitch until it looks really bad. What do you think?

Yeah, fuck it. Why spend $500 on a board and then take care of it.

Seriously though if you get water in your core it can swell and split your board or some shit.

On the other hand I just ptexed and waxed my buddies 6 year old Havoc as he had been riding with a nickel sized core shot right next to his edge for like 2 years. So, obviously it's not the end of the world.

I however would rather take care of my shit. You can buy a Ptex candle for like $0.75. That a bic and some sandpaper can work wonders.

sil_23 11-17-2012 10:44 PM

Yep you should repair any gouges that are deep enough to hit the core. you don't want moisture in there that can lead to rotting. Depending on the size of the damage, you can either repair it yourself with some P-tex or go to a shop for a base weld.

ARSENALFAN 11-17-2012 10:46 PM

Yeah. I was thinking about letting it get pretty ugly and then doing a grind and filling several holes. I didn't realize water could get in and destroy it. Thanks for the post.

herzogone 11-17-2012 11:10 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think I've heard some people refer to any gouge that completely penetrates the p-tex as a "core shot", even if it is only exposing the bottom layer of glass. If this is the case, there's probably not much hurry, the only risk is getting more dirt in there that might make more work later, but if it is a true core shot that exposes the wood then I would take care of it sooner, at least seal it with a bit of epoxy, even if you want to wait on the p-tex repair.

duh 11-17-2012 11:32 PM

If you have a core shot then you should get that hole filled before cancer hits. Ignore the people who say it isn't a big deal, they are ignorant and passing along bad info that could lead to the end of your investment.

Sure you could get lucky and no water will ever penetrate your core. A more likely scenario is that water will work it's way into the exposed core or into gaps between the now damaged ptex and core. Since we snowboard on snow and snow is colder than water the chances of the water expanding due to lowering temperature is high. That expansion of water will tear your board slowly apart. This isn't rocket science, it's really more basic engineering.