Burton Sherlock 2011/12 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Sherlock 2011/12

Thinking about adding this to join my Proto CT. I can get it here in NZ for 300 american dollars brand new. I probably wont need it all that much here in NZ my proto will handle everything but its a cracking price and I could well be taking up a position in Japan next winter and the Sherlock would kill it there. I'm in no rush for another board (wont be boarding in France until Feb then back to NZ in June).

So I just want to know what you guys think of the deal. Is there much difference from last seasons Sherlock to the new one? And size wise whats the better option 157/160 (im 165-170lbs depending on how lazy i've been) taking into consideration when im in the backcountry i'll have a packpack and some extra things.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

paging supra...

While you wait, dig around on easyloungin. There are a bunch of threads about the sherlock. This is one of the more recent ones.

EasyLoungin
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
Thinking about adding this to join my Proto CT. I can get it here in NZ for 300 american dollars brand new. I probably wont need it all that much here in NZ my proto will handle everything but its a cracking price and I could well be taking up a position in Japan next winter and the Sherlock would kill it there. I'm in no rush for another board (wont be boarding in France until Feb then back to NZ in June).

So I just want to know what you guys think of the deal. Is there much difference from last seasons Sherlock to the new one? And size wise whats the better option 157/160 (im 165-170lbs depending on how lazy i've been) taking into consideration when im in the backcountry i'll have a packpack and some extra things.
I've also begun to research the Sherlock after watching someone post a video (I think it was Supra). Was wondering how it compared to boards in the same category (K2 Happy Hour or Salomon Power Snake).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Another website to look at.. cheers bud, some useful stuff on there.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Sherlock has a tiny sidecut radius so it rides shorter than it is on hardpack, so you can really get either your regular size or size up. I normally ride 162-64 boards but went with the 160 last year. I had no problems with float and it was great for resort too. That size would be my do-it-all size. However, at the end of the season I pushed out my stance, but still wanted the same size nose, so I got the 163. I only got to ride it once but it was stiffer and felt amazing. Really looking forward to this season.

The difference between the '12 and '13 is the addition of squeezebox tech. I don't know if it's better or not, but I think that squeezebox is here to stay so whatever. I found the '12 to be awesome. If $300 is a great deal for you then grab it (if new). Or wait til you get to Japan. In Japan, the sherlock isn't popular at all (I think just a lack of marketing or sales knowledge out there) so there's lots from last year still around. Banking on finding your size though, is a gamble.

I wouldn't put the k2 happy hour in the same category as the sherlock. The Happy Hour's tips are just for show and do nothing for pow. In the same category as the sherlock, I'd put the gnu dirty pillow and I guess the powder snake
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cheers Supra. NZ is ridiculously expensive for snowboards and the only real worthwhile deals are on Burtons because they are so popular but its good to hear the Sherlock will be great for Japan if I decide to move. I decided against it for the simple reason that I wont need the board for atleast 12 months, the end of the season has me on a downer and just wanted to buy all around me! I can keep an eye out over the next 12 months for a powder specific board between here and Europe and hopefully find a good deal for something to take to Japan.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
K2 Happy Hour or Salomon Power Snake
Three completely different boards.

Sherlock is a pow directional twin, the Happy Hour is a pow true twin, and the Powder Snake is a tapered twin.

Sherlock is a fun ride in good snow.

Otherwise I say get the Happy Hour cause it's better through hardpack.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Three completely different boards.

Sherlock is a pow directional twin, the Happy Hour is a pow true twin, and the Powder Snake is a tapered twin.

Sherlock is a fun ride in good snow.

Otherwise I say get the Happy Hour cause it's better through hardpack.
What is a tapered twin? Does that just mean the stance/sidecut are centered, but the tail is narrower than the nose?

I'm surprised a true twin would perform better on hardpack than a directional twin. I'm not saying a directional board is intrinsically better for hardpack design wise. I just mean I were to design a board and I intentionally made it directional. I would make it have better edge hold (but it could just be that K2 did better job than Burton). But what do I know about board design Ignore my late night ramblings.

How does the Happy Hour compare to the Ultra Dream.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not sure why you classify the happy hour as pow-specific
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Luckily I didnt purchase, just seen this years model for an extra 40 bucks I've checked most of the other pow boards mentioned and nothing comes close to the Sherlock price wise here in NZ. Looks very likely i'll opt for it in the near future.

Supra (or anyone else!), how does it ride size wise? Like I mentioned im roughly always between 165-170lbs and the added extra few lbs of backcountry gear if I need it.. size 9.5 boots. This board wil be bought with Japan pow in mind, so should I opt for the 157 or 160?