Advanced female - what board? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
You are just so hot in those too.....
You know, its only been the bros that have complemented me on my steez and many have asked where I got'em.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
mjd

Arbor Cadence 143 or 47. Killer graphix is all you need.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow some bpro lovin' going on now, I'm surprised based on past threads in this forum lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Aside from Rome I've tried all of these, rode B-Pro pretty much for the past two years and NS Infinity last season (getting my own this week, yay). Still, I feel - and this is my highly subjective opinion - that for an advanced, well rounded all-mountain East Coast rider B-Pro combines the most advantages and is really the best deck for the money. Mind you, this is not a beginner's board and I've seen plenty of new riders having trouble controlling it. However, its edge really lends itself to increased stability. I've caught myself many times over last year charging seriously icy runs on which I'd normally have more caution if I was riding anything else. The board is that stable. It is a little wider too and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with small feet, although I'm size 6.5 and the width wasn't really a deal breaker for me. The reviews state that the width adds to stability... I don't particularly disagree, it feels that the serrated edge works better with a shallower sidecut because it allows for a better snow contact.

B-Pro is marginally lighter than others. It has a nice pop, not as damp as NS decks (again, not a deal breaker), more playful than NS. I felt like the playfulness factor was a bit negated by that super-stable serrated edge as compared to NS in general. I also found that the edge didn't help me in the park. I felt I had to put a little more energy into initiating rotations, on the other hand it held landings better. I also like the idea of sustainability behind the company's products. Definitely a plus in my book.

As to the graphics... don't mind me there. I've long since stopped caring for what the board looks like but for some reason this particular disaster is just triggering my gag reflex every time I see it (and yes, I believe that the sorry ass who designed it needs to be taken out back and shot). But that's just me.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Would your opinion change if I said I would probably be spending more days in Utah or Vermont than Blue or Tremblant for the next few years at least? I'm not particularly close to those 2 hills, so if I head up to Blue it would only be for a day or two. Although of course I wouldn't want to be wiping out every time I hit ice or bumps on my fancy-schmancy powder board Would the wider waist width inhibit shorter-radius turns at all (like going edge to edge - such as in the trees or moguls)? I agree with you on the graphics - I look a lot younger than I actually am, and I feel like the bpro definitely looks more like a board a little girl would have. I get asked what grade I am in more than enough already. Thanks for the long response too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
First off, congratulations and thank you! I wish every poster would check the FAQ before posting. It is refreshing to see a post with every bit of the information listed.

As for board suggestions, I cannot speak for the other boards you listed but you are a perfect match for the Neversummer Infinity. As for size, I would suggest the 147 or 149 for your style of riding. You are light and could ride the 145 just fine and enjoy the agility of an even shorter board but stepping up to a 147 or 149 gives you 3 and 4 CM's more effective edge for stability and carving. Now if you expect to ride plenty of powder and also want to ride fast and lay down some great carved, stepping up to the 151 gives you another 2 CM's of effective edge without a huge sacrifice in overall agility. It really depends on what is most important to you; agility or stability!
Any reason to pick the infinity over the lotus? I was thinking the lotus was stiffer so it would work better for the downhill-only I do? Although I do love the graphics on the infinity this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
At Baker freeriding for 9 years...due to small feet, I've demo'd a fair amount of women's boards and ride an option trinity 158 freeride and option kendra starr 155 directional cambered twin...both are old cambered stiffys...and by far they are perhaps the stiffest women's boards. If i were buying another new board this year it would be a 155 b-pro (granted i'm a guy, 5'6' and 175-180 with size 7 feet) for an all around all mtn go anyplace board resort board for non deep poo days. It is stiffer (but not as stiff as my old Options), likes to be ridden hard, quick edge to edge, handles drops and landing, is responsive stable and fun...mind you at my size the 155 is like throwing around a midget. The b-pro is made for baker and lots of hard riding gals here its their board.

my order:
bpro...my top pick and matches my hot pink pantz
bnice...old 155 cambered mtx...it was really fun til I snapped the tail.
roxy envi...it was marginally ok but could not handle the railing carves and wash out, not as stable at bombing
infinity...way too soft for my weighty ass
gypsy...way way too soft
push....meh
Have you tried the Push? If I went with the bpro would you recommend the 146 or 149?

Thanks for all the responses! Anyone out there tried the Rome gold?
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Rome all the way!

I haven't tried the Rome Gold seeing as I am a 6'3 Male but all I can say is...

Over the past 10 years iv had about 6 boards, 3 of them being Rome. Every time I try to switch it up I end up going back to Rome boards not because they are best at 1 thing....just because overall they are always a safe bet and I never feel they are lacking.

Currently riding a Bataleon but going back to a Rome next season I think.

Just my 2 cents.
mechsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechsnow View Post
I haven't tried the Rome Gold seeing as I am a 6'3 Male but all I can say is...

Over the past 10 years iv had about 6 boards, 3 of them being Rome. Every time I try to switch it up I end up going back to Rome boards not because they are best at 1 thing....just because overall they are always a safe bet and I never feel they are lacking.

Currently riding a Bataleon but going back to a Rome next season I think.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks! Is the Rome size chart a bit unusual? On their website, the listed weight range for the 147 gold is 70-120 lbs and for the 151 is 95-135 lbs. Generally for my weight other companies have something in the mid-to-hight 140's listed, but based on the Rome size chart I would go with the 151 I think.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Would your opinion change if I said I would probably be spending more days in Utah or Vermont than Blue or Tremblant for the next few years at least? I'm not particularly close to those 2 hills, so if I head up to Blue it would only be for a day or two. Although of course I wouldn't want to be wiping out every time I hit ice or bumps on my fancy-schmancy powder board Would the wider waist width inhibit shorter-radius turns at all (like going edge to edge - such as in the trees or moguls)? I agree with you on the graphics - I look a lot younger than I actually am, and I feel like the bpro definitely looks more like a board a little girl would have. I get asked what grade I am in more than enough already. Thanks for the long response too!
Yes, if you were to spend more time riding out West than here on the East Coast I wouldn't hesitate recommending NS over B-Pro. I think beyond a shadow of a doubt that NS can handle softer groomers and powder conditions better. Let me put it this way: provided you were to ride our icy crappy East Coast conditions B-Pro wouldn't revolutionize your riding, but you'd be really glad you had it 2/3 of your time spent on a mountain. In abundant fine powder of the Rockies that serrated edge is just not needed most of the time. Sure, there're icy conditions out there too but an advanced rider such as yourself should be able to handle them with just a good deck and a sharp edge.

About that agility... well, yes I do feel that the stability gained with Magne-Traction edge and wider waist actually takes away the playfulness. You will find that it is harder to make quick sharp turns. At least until you get used to the board. I ride moguls a lot, I also ride trees a lot - the B-Pro is definitely more of a workout there. Basically, B-Pro is kind of a board that needs some getting used to, but once you do it is a fun, stable and poppy board.

If you're going with any other board than GNU go with NS. In my opinion NS is superior to Arbor and Rome, They're incredibly damp and if you ride trees you'll be glad for that indestructible sidewall (I split my Jones 2 years ago running into a tree, and those are notoriously hard to break). And if you decide to go with NS go with Lotus, not Infinity. Unless you plan to spend some considerable time in the park. I just got my Infinity but I was shooting for a softer, more pliable all-mountain board that I can take to the park.

So, there.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Yes, if you were to spend more time riding out West than here on the East Coast I wouldn't hesitate recommending NS over B-Pro. I think beyond a shadow of a doubt that NS can handle softer groomers and powder conditions better. Let me put it this way: provided you were to ride our icy crappy East Coast conditions B-Pro wouldn't revolutionize your riding, but you'd be really glad you had it 2/3 of your time spent on a mountain. In abundant fine powder of the Rockies that serrated edge is just not needed most of the time. Sure, there're icy conditions out there too but an advanced rider such as yourself should be able to handle them with just a good deck and a sharp edge.

About that agility... well, yes I do feel that the stability gained with Magne-Traction edge and wider waist actually takes away the playfulness. You will find that it is harder to make quick sharp turns. At least until you get used to the board. I ride moguls a lot, I also ride trees a lot - the B-Pro is definitely more of a workout there. Basically, B-Pro is kind of a board that needs some getting used to, but once you do it is a fun, stable and poppy board.

If you're going with any other board than GNU go with NS. In my opinion NS is superior to Arbor and Rome, They're incredibly damp and if you ride trees you'll be glad for that indestructible sidewall (I split my Jones 2 years ago running into a tree, and those are notoriously hard to break). And if you decide to go with NS go with Lotus, not Infinity. Unless you plan to spend some considerable time in the park. I just got my Infinity but I was shooting for a softer, more pliable all-mountain board that I can take to the park.

So, there.
Thanks, that's really helpful info about the bpro! Definitely something I need to consider - I don't get out as much as I would like, so I have to decide whether it's worth getting used to, and whether my snowboard days on trips out West are actually going to outnumber any time I spend somewhere like Blue. Is the lotus bad with ice/crud, or just not as good as the bpro because it doesn't have the magne-traction? I was thinking the damping of the lotus might actually be useful somewhere like Tremblant when you get those big chunks and lots of chatter, although I can see how the bpro might be better with the chunks as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
You must have misread the FAQ section darlin, cup size is vital information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSbored View Post
someone is lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
Shes only looking some snowboard advice mate don't jump to conclusions!

Hahaha! Best comment I've seen on this site in a while.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
. but since I won't be able to test a board before buying I want to get as many opinions as possible!

why not? I don't understand why people are willing to drop $$$ on a board without doing some demo-ing first. It doesn't make sense to me....I wouldn't spend 300-500 bucks on something unless I was damn sure I liked it. Is demoing not an option due to where you are located?

I demoed the B Pro, Lotus and Envi, all on powder days. ...and I'd read reviews on all three prior too my demoing. I found out real fast that reading reviews is not even close to actually riding the the damn things.

I bought the envi, and I want a lotus for a powder board...but seriously all three were really great boards that I'd have been happy with if I bought them without a test ride. I liked the b pro the least of the three. However the new b pro has pink unicorns. Who doesn't love pink unicorns?!?!

Last edited by mixie; 11-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Is the lotus bad with ice/crud, or just not as good as the bpro because it doesn't have the magne-traction? I was thinking the damping of the lotus might actually be useful somewhere like Tremblant when you get those big chunks and lots of chatter, although I can see how the bpro might be better with the chunks as well.
Heh. Well, NS is a damper board in general but its not like you'll be riding on a cloud. It dampens vibration more, you'll still feel it though. No board will save from large icy chunks; you hit them, grind your teeth and keep your balance to the best of your ability, no magic bullet there.

Someone here mentioned that choosing snowboard is in essence going for stability vs. agility. I disagree. You can't extract all potential agility from the board if you don't feel stable enough on it. All boards have pros and cons, in the end we go for the deck that combines the most amount of favorable features for our specific goals. That's all there is to it.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote