Advanced female - what board? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Hmmm thanks for your reply. I wanted to avoid the "twitchy" feeling you mentioned - sometimes when I get going on my current board it starts to slide (maybe I just need to get the edges sharpened though lol). I also want a board I can use to cruise without much effort if it's the end of the day - so something else to think about.
Twitchy is when bombing....say at 40+mph; is somewhat design inherent in the c2btx. However skill/technique ought to make it a non-issue. Its a stable/solid...if you want more stable when bombing you got to got to a cambered board.

As for.... "going on my current board it starts to slide (maybe I just need to get the edges sharpened though" other than sharp edges"...for me, sliding is also a matter of not being angulated enough over the edge and often being too chicken shit to further point it down the fall line cause I already haulin ass...so shutting down the speed.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 11-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Female
115-120 lbs, 5'3"
Boot size 8 (women's)
21 (not growing taller or fatter)
Methinks you should change your name. When I read "silverwhale" I pictured this:

Not a 21 yo 120 lb girl... lol Hey are you going with Ryerson to Jay Peak? I grew up in Southern Ontario went with them a bunch of times it was good shit. That said, I also have a good idea of the crap you have to ride on most of the time.

For Ontario hardpack I felt a world of difference going to a stiffer, longer, cambered board. But Vermont and Utah should have some powder for you to play in...

One other board to consider:

Völkl International | Snowboards | *Yavana

It's available in a 146 but unfortunately I haven't found any reviews for it with just a quick search.

My last piece of advice is to not be scared to go a little longer. If you're freeriding almost all the time, you shouldn't notice any real negative effects to a longer board, but your high speed stability will really improve.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Methinks you should change your name. When I read "silverwhale" I pictured this:

Not a 21 yo 120 lb girl... lol Hey are you going with Ryerson to Jay Peak? I grew up in Southern Ontario went with them a bunch of times it was good shit. That said, I also have a good idea of the crap you have to ride on most of the time.

For Ontario hardpack I felt a world of difference going to a stiffer, longer, cambered board. But Vermont and Utah should have some powder for you to play in...

One other board to consider:

Völkl International | Snowboards | *Yavana

It's available in a 146 but unfortunately I haven't found any reviews for it with just a quick search.

My last piece of advice is to not be scared to go a little longer. If you're freeriding almost all the time, you shouldn't notice any real negative effects to a longer board, but your high speed stability will really improve.
lol no I don't look quite like that. I just think whales are cool. The animal kind at least.

Like Ryerson university? I don't go there, so no I guess? lol

And yeah, the only board I'm not sure about size for is the Rome Gold - I was thinking the 147, but according to their size chart I'm at the 151 ... which seems big, especially for the glades. But stability is also important. Thanks for the tip!
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
And yeah, the only board I'm not sure about size for is the Rome Gold - I was thinking the 147, but according to their size chart I'm at the 151 ... which seems big, especially for the glades. But stability is also important. Thanks for the tip!
151 could be a little long, and I'm the resident long board guy (by suggestion anyway)... On the other hand if you've got a lot of riding under your belt no reason you couldn't handle a few extra cm. Oh god I'm sick. But my point was made and it's valid.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
151 could be a little long, and I'm the resident long board guy (by suggestion anyway)... On the other hand if you've got a lot of riding under your belt no reason you couldn't handle a few extra cm. Oh god I'm sick. But my point was made and it's valid.
Yeah I was never considering anything in the 150s ... but then I saw Rome's size chart and it's a bit weird.

It lists the 147 for 80-120 lbs and 151 for 95-135. I'm under 120 lbs, but that doesn't leave me much room to eat extra desserts at Christmas or anything lol. I'm in the middle of the 151 weight range, but that just seems a lot longer than anything else I was looking at. Do you think I'm fine going with the 147?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
It lists the 147 for 80-120 lbs and 151 for 95-135. I'm under 120 lbs, but that doesn't leave me much room to eat extra desserts at Christmas or anything lol. I'm in the middle of the 151 weight range, but that just seems a lot longer than anything else I was looking at. Do you think I'm fine going with the 147?
I honestly think you'd be fine on either one. Advanced riders can handle the extra length no problem. Any negatives you'd notice in tight turns would contrast with positives during freeride/carving.

Tough to say, for Vermont and Utah I'd want the extra length. For bombing Blue mountain I'd want the extra length. Only time I'd want a shorter board would be a park board or if I was getting something specifically for tight tree riding.

The weight ranges are just a guide, but I prefer to be in the centre of a range as opposed to either end. Especially if you're trying to get a board to step it up a notch. Also are you a fit 120 or just a small person? lol If you're fit for your weight you could go with a longer board.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I honestly think you'd be fine on either one. Advanced riders can handle the extra length no problem. Any negatives you'd notice in tight turns would contrast with positives during freeride/carving.

Tough to say, for Vermont and Utah I'd want the extra length. For bombing Blue mountain I'd want the extra length. Only time I'd want a shorter board would be a park board or if I was getting something specifically for tight tree riding.

The weight ranges are just a guide, but I prefer to be in the centre of a range as opposed to either end. Especially if you're trying to get a board to step it up a notch. Also are you a fit 120 or just a small person? lol If you're fit for your weight you could go with a longer board.
No I'm fairly athletic/fit. I do like glades though. Not park. I would get the 147 for sure cause that's what I have except for that size chart ... maybe I'll contact someone from the company and ask why the sizes seem to be different from other boards I've looked at.

I'm not sure "bombing" and "Blue Mountain" belong in a sentence together :P If I try to actually get going, some out-of-control beginner (who shouldn't be going down a diamond in the first place) cuts me off. Or it just turns into a "moving obstacle dodging" exercise with real people if you go on a busy day lol.