Advanced female - what board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

female Advanced female - what board?

Hi! New to the forum, I've been lurking for a few weeks but decided to register to get a more specific answer - another "what board should I buy?"

Details (based on the FAQ section, which I did read first):

Female
115-120 lbs, 5'3"
Boot size 8 (women's)
21 (not growing taller or fatter)

I am looking for a freeride board - I am never in the park, and the only jumps I do are accidental (it would be cool to learn how to actually look good doing jumps but the terrain park can be intimidating).

I live in Southwestern Ontario, so not too many big hills around here - I need a board that is good for the chop/crud of small hills like Blue Mountain, the chop/ice/groomers of Tremblant, and better snow/powder (going to Utah this year I think, sometimes go to Vermont as well). I am usually just bombing down blues/blacks/double blacks but I will also do glades. I have been snowboarding since I was about 12, and would consider myself fairly advanced.

I have been doing some research for a couple months now using review websites, snowboard magazine reviews, Shayboarder, etc. but since I won't be able to test a board before buying I want to get as many opinions as possible!

Shortlist:

1. GNU B-pro (this was my top pick until I read a couple bad reviews on this forum about it)
2. Rome Gold (most reviews about it are very positive, but it's new so having trouble finding a lot of info)
3. Never Summer Lotus (lost of NS fans on this forum it seems like!)
4. Never Summer Infinity (isn't as much of a freeride board though?)
5. Jones Mothership (smallest size is 152 - would that be too big?)
6. Arbor Push

And yes, I realize that isn't actually a short list. My current board is a forum craft I've had for about 6 years - it's a size 147 and I definitely bought it based on the graphics, cause I didn't know much about boards then - like this I think: Snowboard Forum Craft 2007/2008 :: Snowboard and ski catalog SnowDB.com

Thanks for any advice/suggestions, this forum has already been a big help Sorry this is so long!
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Wow. You sure have things nailed down a lot better than most "what board" posters. Sounds like you're looking for feedback more than suggestions.

Edit: Changed the icon on the thread. That one was added for "feedback from/for female" threads. May help.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, feedback or opinions from anyone who has tried these boards or who knows more about snowboards than I do lol. I'm good at doing research, but bad at narrowing down my choices.

And thanks for the icon edit - hopefully it helps, I've been having trouble finding a lot of detailed reviews on women's boards (Shay's are good but she can't review every board every year).

Last edited by silverwhale; 11-19-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Scratch Mothership, it's a powder deck you won't get much use out of it where you are.

If you're an advanced rider - B-Pro. I'd go for 2012 one unless you're really, REALLY into "My Pretty Pony".
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Scratch Mothership, it's a powder deck you won't get much use out of it where you are.

If you're an advanced rider - B-Pro. I'd go for 2012 one unless you're really, REALLY into "My Pretty Pony".
Any reason as to why the B-pro over the others? It's the one I was leaning toward until reading a couple reviews from people who didn't like it on here - obviously not everybody can like every board, but I'm trying to be careful since I can't test it out and it's hopefully going to last me a long time.

And they're unicorns, not ponies. Duh.

I'm not crazy about the bright pink, but I think the 2012 B-pro is worse (it's just ugly).

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the mothership comment
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

You must have misread the FAQ section darlin, cup size is vital information.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Aside from Rome I've tried all of these, rode B-Pro pretty much for the past two years and NS Infinity last season (getting my own this week, yay). Still, I feel - and this is my highly subjective opinion - that for an advanced, well rounded all-mountain East Coast rider B-Pro combines the most advantages and is really the best deck for the money. Mind you, this is not a beginner's board and I've seen plenty of new riders having trouble controlling it. However, its edge really lends itself to increased stability. I've caught myself many times over last year charging seriously icy runs on which I'd normally have more caution if I was riding anything else. The board is that stable. It is a little wider too and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with small feet, although I'm size 6.5 and the width wasn't really a deal breaker for me. The reviews state that the width adds to stability... I don't particularly disagree, it feels that the serrated edge works better with a shallower sidecut because it allows for a better snow contact.

B-Pro is marginally lighter than others. It has a nice pop, not as damp as NS decks (again, not a deal breaker), more playful than NS. I felt like the playfulness factor was a bit negated by that super-stable serrated edge as compared to NS in general. I also found that the edge didn't help me in the park. I felt I had to put a little more energy into initiating rotations, on the other hand it held landings better. I also like the idea of sustainability behind the company's products. Definitely a plus in my book.

As to the graphics... don't mind me there. I've long since stopped caring for what the board looks like but for some reason this particular disaster is just triggering my gag reflex every time I see it (and yes, I believe that the sorry ass who designed it needs to be taken out back and shot). But that's just me.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
You must have misread the FAQ section darlin, cup size is vital information.
someone is lonely
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSbored View Post
someone is lonely
Shes only looking some snowboard advice mate don't jump to conclusions!
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

At Baker freeriding for 9 years...due to small feet, I've demo'd a fair amount of women's boards and ride an option trinity 158 freeride and option kendra starr 155 directional cambered twin...both are old cambered stiffys...and by far they are perhaps the stiffest women's boards. If i were buying another new board this year it would be a 155 b-pro (granted i'm a guy, 5'6' and 175-180 with size 7 feet) for an all around all mtn go anyplace board resort board for non deep poo days. It is stiffer (but not as stiff as my old Options), likes to be ridden hard, quick edge to edge, handles drops and landing, is responsive stable and fun...mind you at my size the 155 is like throwing around a midget. The b-pro is made for baker and lots of hard riding gals here its their board.

my order:
bpro...my top pick and matches my hot pink pantz
bnice...old 155 cambered mtx...it was really fun til I snapped the tail.
roxy envi...it was marginally ok but could not handle the railing carves and wash out, not as stable at bombing
infinity...way too soft for my weighty ass
gypsy...way way too soft
push....meh

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 11-20-2012 at 03:43 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote