Burton Antler - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipnugget View Post
I was wondering if that might be the case. Are saying there's not enough board to handle my weight and that if I want softer I should have gone with the 160? The weight range for the 157.5 is 135-175.

Or are you saying I'm not heavy enough to cause it to squish?
Yes, I think he's saying you're too light for that size.

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing it. Sounds like the antler isn't a park only board and is good for all mountain. Interested in your perspective after a few more rides. Also will be interested to see if you feel that it's a slow board after a few more trips out. I have a Sherlock and I think that it's a slow board too, the shape and profile are great for turns and for soft snow but it makes it slower relative to other boards when riding groomers. I don't think it's much slower and when someone passes me I always think it's my riding not the board, but relative to my other cambered board I find the flying V shape is slower. Doesn't bother me, your comment about turns and playing around being better than full on speed resonates with me, particularly for a flying V shape, if you want to go fast stiff cambered boards are the way to go.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipnugget View Post
I was just closing tabs on my browser and I saw this text describing the Antler in a review:

Imagine a Burton Custom X with more drivability. Now imagine a Burton Joystick with more torque. What you’ve just imagined is the Burton Antler. Yes it’s limits can be push beyond where you think you can push them. The 60° Carbon Highlights Hi-Voltage give it a more playful pop than the aggressive 45° that the Custom X has.

I think that's actually a perfect description. This board is a super forgiving Custom X. It was aggressive enough that I never felt like it couldn't handle the steep hairy stuff. I think it might be the perfect board for how I ride. My big worry was that it wouldn't be aggressive enough keeping up with the people I ride with but that's not going to be a problem.
A good honest review. Nice to see you thought it held an edge. I too have the 2008 custom. It would be interesting to know why you went for the antler instead of maybe a new custom flying-v though? I like the anter and something makes me want to just go out and buy it and I have no idea what that is??
olidonog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olidonog View Post
A good honest review. Nice to see you thought it held an edge. I too have the 2008 custom. It would be interesting to know why you went for the antler instead of maybe a new custom flying-v though? I like the anter and something makes me want to just go out and buy it and I have no idea what that is??
I know what you mean. I had the Flying V out in the shop and I was really considering it, but the Antler seemed so interesting. Plus, the guy in the shop who had ridden it seemed to genuinely love it. I rode it again yesterday. It's such a weird board. I think it's more of an all-mountain board than a park board. It's an all-mountain board that is forgiving. One thing that is new is that I had to ride it on real ice yesterday for a short stretch, and it was brutal. It does not handle sheer ice very well at all. That's fine, because who wants to ride on ice anyway, but I was actually scared trying to find some grip. Hard packed snow is fine.

I didn't ride hard yesterday because of who I was with, but I'm going out again on Tuesday and I'm going to ride a lot harder so we'll see.

Finally, I think what makes me think the board is so stiff is that the tip and tail are stiff compared to my old Custom. I realized that after finding a comment on a review somewhere that said that.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from someone else that bought one.
Zipnugget is offline   Reply With Quote