Board sizing question all input is appreciated - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Board sizing question all input is appreciated

5'9
165 (before thanksgiving)
size 11 boot
l/xl union force bindngs
Current board: 154 2011 skate banana (for sale )
Park oriented riding. jumps/rails not jibbing though
Ohio riding (trust me i know how lucky i am for the mountains we have here ) and venture out to ny and pa frequently

Have my picks narrowed down to a Ride DH and Buckwild... still debating between the two. Dilema is that ride boards come in 153, 155... not 54 so i have to decide between a 155 and 153. This has been drivng me nuts.

Am i looking at any real difference between the 55 and 53 as in pop/control/flex?? Sorry if this seems vague, If you need more info I'll try to specify.
Like i said thanks again!
libtech1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would go with a 153 if your riding park. I too am from Ohio and know all about the "mountains" there. I currently live in California but I'm moving back in January. Any who, I would go with a 153, I'm 5"5-5"6 165lbs and I ride a 151 in the park and a 159 for powder days. With the 153, youll be able to get better pop and flex for jibbing and boxes.
Slydepro76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Appreciate the input! that was what i was leaning towards since if you think about it its just .5 cm diff each way. this is driving me nuts since the last thing i want is to go too short to the point it defeats the purpose of the board... dear ride make a 154.... i overthink things too much
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech1990 View Post
5'9
165 (before thanksgiving)

Current board: 154 2011 skate banana (for sale )
Park oriented riding. jumps/rails not jibbing though
Ohio riding (trust me i know how lucky i am for the mountains we have here ) and venture out to ny and pa frequently

Have my picks narrowed down to a Ride DH and Buckwild... still debating between the two. Dilema is that ride boards come in 153, 155... not 54 so i have to decide between a 155 and 153. This has been drivng me nuts.

Am i looking at any real difference between the 55 and 53 as in pop/control/flex?? Sorry if this seems vague, If you need more info I'll try to specify.
Like i said thanks again!
I'm 5'9" 145-150 lbs. I personally would go with the 155 (that's about what I ride at 145-150 lbs) because I find the longer length is better for bigger jumps while not really affecting my mediocre rail riding skills. (I had a 150 cm board as well and the shorter length didn't really improve my rail skills).

However, because you are riding in Ohio (no powder, or big mountains) and are park oriented... I think the 153 is fine. There will be no real difference in pop between the sizes. The 155 will be a little bit stiffer flex and give you more control at high speeds. The 153 will be a little bit easier to flex at slow speeds for small jumps (under 30 ft gap) and rails. Realize the difference is 2 cm or less than an inch, less than 2% difference.

Anyway that's my opinion... check out the videos of me riding a 155 cm at 145-155 lbs and decide for yourself.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm... valid points... though this question seems very rider specific, the video helped. The fact that i will be spending alot of time in ny and pa makes more sense for me to opt for the 55 since hopefully it'll give me that small "sense of stability" on the bigger jumps.... and btw how did you break two boards? well the second one since you got the edge busted on the first one
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech1990 View Post
Hmm... valid points... though this question seems very rider specific, the video helped. The fact that i will be spending alot of time in ny and pa makes more sense for me to opt for the 55 since hopefully it'll give me that small "sense of stability" on the bigger jumps.... and btw how did you break two boards? well the second one since you got the edge busted on the first one
First one busted edge, the second one the entire board de-laminated. I'm told this was a manufacturing defect. Apparently lot of the board of that model (Omatic Awesome) showed the same thing and I was later able to get a new board via warranty. I wonder if it delammed a little and the super wet slush of summer boarding got in an split it open. OMatic went out of business (I don't know why as I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure this didn't help).

lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote