Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Buying a new K2 or Ride board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51414-buying-new-k2-ride-board.html)

Butters 11-21-2012 03:25 AM

Buying a new K2 or Ride board

Hey everyone, I just need some help picking out a new board and not sure where to start. My current board is an old 06 Salomon Forecast ERA I bought second hand but I find the board too heavy.

I'm heading into my 4th season of snowboarding so I'm not that good but definitely not a beginner. I just started going off small jumps last season, I'd like to start getting into bigger ones and get more air out of them. I don't spend a lot of time in the park right now but it might be something I'd like to try to get into when I get better.

Some boards I've been considering from K2 are Raygun and Playback. I've heard some good things about the Ride Machete but I feel like it might more of an advanced board. I'd say the main thing I'm looking for is a light board with good landing stability. Speed isn't that important to me but I don't want a flimsy board that'll shake or wash out at decent speeds so I'd want a board close to the middle in terms of stiffness. I'm not limited to only these boards though. I can only get a good deal on any K2 or Ride board, which is why it's gotta be either of them. Preferably under $400 but if you guys can really convince me its worth it, I'll go up to $500.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions!! :)

lonerider 11-21-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 541833)
Hey everyone, I just need some help picking out a new board and not sure where to start. My current board is an old 06 Salomon Forecast ERA I bought second hand but I find the board too heavy.

I'm heading into my 4th season of snowboarding so I'm not that good but definitely not a beginner. I just started going off small jumps last season, I'd like to start getting into bigger ones and get more air out of them. I don't spend a lot of time in the park right now but it might be something I'd like to try to get into when I get better.

Some boards I've been considering from K2 are Raygun and Playback. I've heard some good things about the Ride Machete but I feel like it might more of an advanced board. I'd say the main thing I'm looking for is a light board with good landing stability. Speed isn't that important to me but I don't want a flimsy board that'll shake or wash out at decent speeds so I'd want a board close to the middle in terms of stiffness. I'm not limited to only these boards though. I can only get a good deal on any K2 or Ride board, which is why it's gotta be either of them. Preferably under $400 but if you guys can really convince me its worth it, I'll go up to $500.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions!! :)

What is your weight, and what length Forecast were you riding (why did you find it too heavy)?

I've heard from BurtonAvenger that the RayGun is a very solid choice.

arl2 11-21-2012 01:29 PM

Ride Machete!! It doesn't matter if it's too advanced for you. You will be able to progress quickly on it. Its an awesome board. You can take it anywhere and it will get the job done. It will fit your riding style nicely since you want to get into the park but slowly ease your way in. And its not a board made specifically for the park, it goes anywhere on the moutain. Since you have quite a bit to spend I would just go with last years model and save some money. Anyways, its up to you.

Speaking from experience, the machete is a bit more then medium flex. About a 6 (and I think that's what Ride has on their website). Its very stable off of jumps and wont wash out at high speeds (no chatter). Its a very smooth ride. And did I mention it's light?

Butters 11-21-2012 02:27 PM

Oh right, I forgot to mention some stuff. My current salmon forecast is a somewhat stiff cambered 154. I tried testing out some of my friends boards and the Salomons noticeable heavier, especially when I'm trying to jump. I'm 5'9 and 148lbs. I'm guessing I would be looking for a board between 150-155. Does that sound about right?

Alkasquawlik 11-21-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 541990)
Oh right, I forgot to mention some stuff. My current salmon forecast is a somewhat stiff cambered 154. I tried testing out some of my friends boards and the Salomons noticeable heavier, especially when I'm trying to jump. I'm 5'9 and 148lbs. I'm guessing I would be looking for a board between 150-155. Does that sound about right?

Ya, that size range will work for you.
Between the two, I'd go for the Ride Machete. A much better board for your riding style than the Raygun, although it is a little more expensive.

arl2 11-21-2012 02:35 PM

Yeah around there. But it also depends on what your going to do. Since you want to hit jumps and progress into the park, a smaller board would be better. Easier to control and spin in the air.

lonerider 11-21-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 541990)

Yes... 150-155 is the right range. I'm 5'9" 145-150 lbs (was 149 this morning) myself. In it's day the Salomon Forecast ERA was a great board (sadly that day was half a decade ago). I demo the Forecast and rode the Daniel Frank 155.5 model (which was a slightly modified Forecast ERA if I recall correctly) and I was around 140 lbs back then. I agree that those boards weren't the lightest, and more importantly didn't have the best pop. FYI, a 2006 board is going to be like half a pound heavier than a modern board (noticeable, but not huge).

Based on your self-description (just starting out on jumps) and the fact that you say the board feels heavy I don't think you are popping off the jumps correctly. Everytime someone complains that the board feels heavy (for both freeride and freestyle), I'm inclined to think that there is an issue with they technique - because when you do it correctly, flex from the the board literally pushes itself into the air and it should feel weightless.

If you don't know the difference check out 0:15 of the video below.

That's not to say a newer board won't be fun to ride either. I've ridden the K2 Parkstar and Fastplant (I wish they still made the Jibpan, which ironically was not a jib board) and those are decent boards (neither blew my mind though). I'm just trying to help you out and I think aside from a bit of psychological "confidence"... better technique will outdo new gear every day of the year.

Hope this helps.

lonerider 11-21-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arl2 (Post 541995)
Yeah around there. But it also depends on what your going to do. Since you want to hit jumps and progress into the park, a smaller board would be better. Easier to control and spin in the air.

See it was mis-information like this that I'm trying to combat.

No offense Arl, but I'm going to guess you don't ride park that often - but you "read" online that shorter boards are easier to control and spin in the air, and so you are now parroting it to someone else.

A shorter board is a tiny bit easier to handle, but the difference is so small I wouldn't worry about it until you havd 360 dialed in start going for 540s and or you are trying to do 270 into and out of boardslides. When you are just starting out... virtually any board will be fine in the park (i.e. yes there are boards that are bad... but you really have to be trying hard ... like getting a dedicated swallowtail powder board). Straight airs, straight air with grab, 180s, even 360s all can easily be done with basically any board. If you are having trouble doing these tricks because you board is ~1% longer (153 vs 155), then you are doing it wrong.

I use this video to demonstrate that shorter board length is not a big a factor as some people say it is (jump to 1:40 to see the guy doing jumps, spins, and pipe).

That because said, OP... 150-155 is your range and you can shorter if you think that this your personal preference. You just lose a little stability on bigger jumps (this is me on a 155 cm board at your weight) and for halfpipe (video of me doing rails and halfpipe). As you can see, I'm not an amazing rider, but I'm doing ok on a 155 cm board. I've had a shorter board (K2 Jibpan 150cm)... and it was a tiny bit easier... but seriously it didn't not make me much better of a rider (I wish it did... but it is what it is). BTW, the Ride Machete sounds like a great board, I just haven't ridden it myself.

arl2 11-21-2012 02:54 PM

Here you go. Awesome board for a really good price (comparing to what your willing to spend).

Ride Machete Snowboard 2012 | evo outlet

Butters 11-21-2012 03:17 PM

My technique is far from perfect. I do believe that part of the reason I can't get enough air is that I'm still learning. I'm not that desperate for a new board right now but it's the perfect opportunity for me to get one right now. I'm able to get a REALLY good deal on a K2 or Ride but it's only for a limited time. My brother doesn't have a board but wants to go with me this winter and I wanted to give him my current board. Thanks for the tips though. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these videos on technique if you know of any good ones.