Lib Tech TRS...Which size for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
i'd say go for 151-2 if you park a lot, if not i'd say 154 for the tiny bit of extra bit of stability at high speeds.

i'm actually 154 lbs with 156, even though i park a lot. and i've had no feelings of clumsiness from my board. in the end i don't think you can go wrong with either 151-2 or 154.
...Or get a little of both and get a 153 Gnu Danny Kass

Seriously, the Danny Kass C2 BTX is another Mervin board with a profile that's similar to the Banana Magic, right? The sales pitch makesa lot of sense, I can see how it'd be a loose buttery board that'll still be stable enough outside of the park&pow...But spec sheets and sales talks only tell you that much

So does/did anyone ride either the Gnu Danny Kass or the Banana Magic? Or anyone maybe even compare it to the slightly stiffer and less rocker-y attack banana and/or TRS? I know I'm asking a lot, but it's A LOT of money for me to spend right now, so I figured it's worth the (long) shot asking...

Maybe I'm even overthinking this, for all I know the actual differences in feel/stability/butterness/flew are hardly noticeable and more of a marketing thing

Thnx for the patience, I know I'm indecisive and boring here

Last edited by Thom; 11-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

even though video reviews are a bit shallow, maybe this'll help

and just try googling. chances are similar stuff has been asked/discussed before.
KungMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
5.6, 150lbs, intermediate. So I'd say jibbing/buttering takes up 20prcnt of my time, pow as well, and groomers about 80prcnt.

I basicly want to know whether I could ride this particular board in a slightly shorter lenght, or if I'll be happier if I got the longer version

*SNIP*

Still on the fence. Is the TRS light and flex enough to get away with an extra inch longer than what I usually ride? Or can I get it an inch shorter and not get in trouble in pow and on fast/icy groomers thanks to the supposedly grippy edges?

Why don't they just make one in 152 or 153
Holy fuck it's only an inch! I went from a 153 FS to a 159 FR oriented board with a wider stance width, and it only took a couple runs to get used to the difference. You're talking about 3 cm on identical boards!

In all seriousness if you're on hardpack/ice a lot you want more effective edge to dig in. You're the same height as me so no reason you could swing a 154 around. Don't be a pussy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
You'd be happy to hear that you can go shorter than you normally do with all libtech boards.
And why is that?
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, I google'd my ass off the last hours/days, there's indeed a couple of nice reviews, and even sililar threads and side by side test.

I was just hoping for a last piece of valuable advice that could help me pull the trigger

Saw all the youtube clips on the subject a zillion times too, the one you posted is helpfull, but sorta confusing/shallow at the same time too:s

Anyway, I just mailed a store about that 2011/2012 TRS (151cm) I mensioned earlier. Basicly told them that they'd have a deal if they gave me the slightest little extra discount

I'd kinda have to hurt myself to be able to afford a brand new 2012/2013 board, and I'm willing to take the chance on a 151 board, especially since this one's supposed to have extra grip and a bit more stiffness than what I'm used to.

I'll let you guys know what answer I'll get. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post

And why is that?
well since they all have banana tech as opposed to regular camber boards.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
...Or get a little of both and get a 153 Gnu Danny Kass

Seriously, the Danny Kass C2 BTX is another Mervin board with a profile that's similar to the Banana Magic, right? The sales pitch makesa lot of sense, I can see how it'd be a loose buttery board that'll still be stable enough outside of the park&pow...But spec sheets and sales talks only tell you that much

So does/did anyone ride either the Gnu Danny Kass or the Banana Magic? Or anyone maybe even compare it to the slightly stiffer and less rocker-y attack banana and/or TRS? I know I'm asking a lot, but it's A LOT of money for me to spend right now, so I figured it's worth the (long) shot asking...

Maybe I'm even overthinking this, for all I know the actual differences in feel/stability/butterness/flew are hardly noticeable and more of a marketing thing

Thnx for the patience, I know I'm indecisive and boring here
Banana Magic and Danny Kass are completely different boards.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Holy fuck it's only an inch! I went from a 153 FS to a 159 FR oriented board with a wider stance width, and it only took a couple runs to get used to the difference. You're talking about 3 cm on identical boards!

In all seriousness if you're on hardpack/ice a lot you want more effective edge to dig in. You're the same height as me so no reason you could swing a 154 around. Don't be a pussy.

And why is that?
Yeah I guess you're right. Like I said, I'm probably overthinking this, and overrating the minor differences in length/flex/etc.

But it works both ways too I guess. Meaning I might as well get the 151 and get used to having an inch less effective edge and go with the shorter 151, right? Which brings me to the answer of your other question about why libtechs can supposedly be ridden slightly shorter. I think the 'banana tech C2 BTX' technology is supposed to deliver more grip than a 'regular' longer board. One of the reasons why I'm mainly looking at the Libtechs in the first place.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
I think the 'banana tech C2 BTX' technology is supposed to deliver more grip than a 'regular' longer board. One of the reasons why I'm mainly looking at the Libtechs in the first place.
Yeah I think that's more theory than fact. And if you're in the powder at all float is just a function of surface area and camber profile. To each their own but I would avoid short boards like the plague.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah I think that's more theory than fact. And if you're in the powder at all float is just a function of surface area and camber profile. To each their own but I would avoid short boards like the plague.
Yeah, totally true. I was manly refering to the serrated edges, they might make sense and be of use on hard groomers and icy I suppose.

I agree after my first powder day on the next board, there's a good chance I'll regret getting a 151 board instead of a 154cm one. But with my luck, just like the last two seasons, there'll be little or no fresh pow at all, in which case I'll do fine with a shorter all moutain board to cruise groomers and hit the park on a daily basis

I'm just gonna let it depend on what deal I'll get on that '12 TRS I mensioned. If that doesn't work out, I'll trow one of my guitars on ebay to fund a new 154 libtech TRS

Last edited by Thom; 11-24-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

also found this.

3:02 in this video

it's about the sb, but all their boards have the same banana tech.