Perks of a true twin? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
For most riders out there its just splitting hairs IMO. Probably doesn't make much odds until you get to upper intermediate.

Yes, a directional twinish deck with a slight setback is probably the 1 board quiver I would recommend.

Having said that twin decks can do everything very well, so just enjoy your new board OP.

I spent most of last season on a 161 Volkl zenit. It has setback (which I set all the way back for pow days) a touch of taper and is stiffer in the tail. Posi camber.

Then I bought a 157 proto CT specifically for all mountain freestyle and because I like riding switch (at least 30%) and want to ride more. I ride a lot of switch in pow and the twin profile makes it much easier. As long as its not too deep a C2BTX type profile gives plenty of float going either way.

I just like the idea of using my body and muscle groups in a balanced way left and right.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised with how well I could carve on the proto, takes a little more fore aft movement, but with effort it carves really well (not as well as the Volkl but pretty damn good).

I still have the volkl and no doubt I will be riding it a fair bit this season (when I want to bomb flat out).
I'll be on the proto most days though and I guarantee I'll be flying past people on their freeride sticks on the steeps and powder sticks in the pow because I know how to ride it.

If people like twins let them ride them, its slightly disadvantageous for carving and powder but its minimal and the limiting factor here is almost always rider ability not board.
qft.

lonerider, you can't argue with someone when they tell you that you come off as condescending, it just makes it more so. You do come off that way a little, and pretty sure Grafta and I like ya(ok not sure about Grafta, he is pretty badass).

Maybe I come off the same way, dunno, sounds like you ride pretty good, but no amount of ability really makes your opinions more factual. Facts are facts and opinions are opinions.

Last edited by snowklinger; 11-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi NJM,

You are going to have a lot of fun on that deck. Flat rock is very easy to learn on. This profile (generality) is stable and is very catch free and easy going. They don't love ice or extreme hardpack and the require care at speed, but on the whole you have a fun design to learn and progress on.

Plese post up your weight and foot size, as well as the length of your deck. It is still important that you have the correct size.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi NJM,

You are going to have a lot of fun on that deck. Flat rock is very easy to learn on. This profile (generality) is stable and is very catch free and easy going. They don't love ice or extreme hardpack and the require care at speed, but on the whole you have a fun design to learn and progress on.

Plese post up your weight and foot size, as well as the length of your deck. It is still important that you have the correct size.
Cool, nice to hear some positives!
I'm 5'4", 127Lbs and my foot size is women's 8. My board is a 147.
NJMurtagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMurtagh View Post
Cool, nice to hear some positives!
I'm 5'4", 127Lbs and my foot size is women's 8. My board is a 147.
So that is going to be a very easy board to use and learn on. If you eventually prefer freeriding, carving etc, you will eventually outgrow it, but you can always use it as your play board.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
The tradeoff is that it's much harder to ride regular in the powder. Take a look at home many powder boards are true twins!
Well, not as much as you would think. Explain then T Rice and other SuperNatural style riders who kill it on true twins.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaweb View Post
Well, not as much as you would think. Explain then T Rice and other SuperNatural style riders who kill it on true twins.
He's one of the best in the business and performing freestyle moves in that event?

I think it still stands true for the average rider a directional shape and flex board will be better in the powder while going forward. Actually this is true for Rice and the rest of the gang, but he's got the ability to overcome the limitations of the board.

People have been telling me for years I should be on a rocker board in the powder. My mad skillz allow me to rock the camber however I want on whatever I want! Ha!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
He's one of the best in the business and performing freestyle moves in that event?

I think it still stands true for the average rider a directional shape and flex board will be better in the powder while going forward. Actually this is true for Rice and the rest of the gang, but he's got the ability to overcome the limitations of the board.

People have been telling me for years I should be on a rocker board in the powder. My mad skillz allow me to rock the camber however I want on whatever I want! Ha!
I agree, I think the big reason they rode twins in Super Natural is that twins are better for riding switch in powder, which many of them did for substantial sections. And of course spins are a bit easier too.

I also agree with your main point, that the average rider probably doesn't care much about riding switch on powder days. I think it's pretty well accepted that directional boards make powder riding easier in your preferred stance (swallowtail powder boards must exist for a reason). Slightly directional twins are a compromise, making things slightly easier in the preferred stance, at a slight expense when riding switch. Riding a twin in powder means keeping most of your weight over your rear leg, which gets tiring, but riding switch allows the other leg to take a turn.

I guess I should qualify this by saying I'm probably less experienced than many here, and the current limit of my spinning ability is 180s, but I have at least ridden powder on both a directional-twin and a true-twin. I like my current board, a true-twin, because I like to ride switch a lot, even on powder days.
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

I'd say the average rider is better off with a slightly directional snowboard over a true twin.

True twins start to gain the advantage if you do a lot of freestyle and/or ride switch often (or if you're working your way up to doing that).

Honestly, it feels a little bit better doing switch tricks on a true twin, but the difference isn't major and I'm saying this as someone who regularly spins switch 5s and up.

In the end if you get used to spinning/landing switch on a slightly directional but twin-ish shape, you can even end up preferring that feel just due to your muscle memory remembering the feeling.