Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Perks of a true twin? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51443-perks-true-twin.html)

NJMurtagh 11-22-2012 12:53 AM

Perks of a true twin?

I just bought my first board, it's a Sims Pristine true twin. I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of a twin vs a directional board. I've always rented gear, so I don't know for sure what I was riding before. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, I have control and I can carve well. I'd like to get into the terrain park eventually. Anyway, any input would be great!

Oh and please don't tell me I bought a crappy board or anything cause I don't wanna hear it!

snowklinger 11-22-2012 01:06 AM

I like twins, just not that Sims Pristine.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...S4iQU2STErlACw

lonerider 11-22-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJMurtagh (Post 542168)
I just bought my first board, it's a Sims Pristine true twin. I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of a twin vs a directional board. I've always rented gear, so I don't know for sure what I was riding before. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, I have control and I can carve well. I'd like to get into the terrain park eventually. Anyway, any input would be great!

Oh and please don't tell me I bought a crappy board or anything cause I don't wanna hear it!

A directional board can (it's not guaranteed) can be better at riding in different snow conditions. Some boards has a longer upturn nose with a slightly different shape which is better for riding in powder and for blasting through cruddy snow. At the same time, it can have a stiffer tail for better snap out of turns. A narrower tail (taper) also lets the tail sink more for better powder floatation and quicker release from turns. A setback stance is better for more control at higher speeds, and better floatation in powder (because your weight is already shift back).

A true twin is a tiny bit easier to ride and land switch - but it's not important below 540s in my opinion... maybe not even then. A Burton Fish is about as directional board as you can get, super setback, huge taper, and a cutout tail...

NJMurtagh 11-22-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowklinger (Post 542171)
I like twins, just not that Sims Pristine.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...S4iQU2STErlACw

Ya thanks bud...

NJMurtagh 11-22-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 542177)
A directional board can (it's not guaranteed) can be better at riding in different snow conditions. Some boards has a longer upturn nose with a slightly different shape which is better for riding in powder and for blasting through cruddy snow. At the same time, it can have a stiffer tail for better snap out of turns. A narrower tail (taper) also lets the tail sink more for better powder floatation and quicker release from turns. A setback stance is better for more control at higher speeds, and better floatation in powder (because your weight is already shift back).

A true twin is a tiny bit easier to ride and land switch - but it's not important below 540s in my opinion... maybe not even then. A Burton Fish is about as directional board as you can get, super setback, huge taper, and a cutout tail...

Thanks for the input! I guess I oughta try it out to really know how it is for me

Wiredsport 11-22-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJMurtagh (Post 542168)

Hi NJM,

True twin really (should) mean 3 things. Perfectly symetrical outline (from the true waist out to the tip and tail), Perfectly symetrical flex (from the true waist out to the tip and tail) and centerred inserts (no setback). A lot of boards that have twin in their description do not meet all of the above.

True twins can be majorly fun as play boards, park boards and general freestyle decks, but they do have limitations. boards with some setback and asymetrical flex are easier going for riding up over pow, crud etc. Sidecut shaping can be tweaked on directional decks to rip into hardpack better (with or without wavy edges).

Let us know a little more about the deck that you bought and we will be able to tell you more. There are still big differences between individual true twins.

dynaweb 11-22-2012 11:11 AM

I am a freeride guy and I really like true twin boards. Even though most say that they are for park & pipe, there is nothing like having that extra float performance when riding fakie through deep stuff.

lonerider 11-22-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaweb (Post 542239)
I am a freeride guy and I really like true twin boards. Even though most say that they are for park & pipe, there is nothing like having that extra float performance when riding fakie through deep stuff.

You do realize that just means float performance while riding normally is that much worse. It's always a tradeoff.

grafta 11-22-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 542248)
You do realize that just means float performance while riding normally is that much worse. It's always a tradeoff.

Yeah, we get it dude. You like the boards you like. This guy wanted pro's and cons, and the perks of a true twin. You're just sounding like you think everyone else is wrong. Not flaming, just an observation :thumbsup:

lonerider 11-22-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grafta (Post 542292)
Yeah, we get it dude. You like the boards you like. This guy wanted pro's and cons, and the perks of a true twin. You're just sounding like you think everyone else is wrong. Not flaming, just an observation :thumbsup:

well each OP is a new person. Plus if you read my previous post I gave a much longer pro ovs con breakdown.

I think there are a lot of poseurs who give advice based on what they read from their computer chair instead of actual experience. That Is why I started to include videos of myself so people can see what kind of rider I am and then decide if in worth listening to.

If you spin 540 and switch 720 and say you prefer a true twins I will totally believe you. But if all you can do is a 180... then don't go recommending true twins with being truthful about your own abilities.

Same is true when talking about short vs long boards.