Perks of a true twin? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perks of a true twin?

I just bought my first board, it's a Sims Pristine true twin. I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of a twin vs a directional board. I've always rented gear, so I don't know for sure what I was riding before. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, I have control and I can carve well. I'd like to get into the terrain park eventually. Anyway, any input would be great!

Oh and please don't tell me I bought a crappy board or anything cause I don't wanna hear it!
NJMurtagh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
I like twins, just not that Sims Pristine.


Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMurtagh View Post
I just bought my first board, it's a Sims Pristine true twin. I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of a twin vs a directional board. I've always rented gear, so I don't know for sure what I was riding before. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, I have control and I can carve well. I'd like to get into the terrain park eventually. Anyway, any input would be great!

Oh and please don't tell me I bought a crappy board or anything cause I don't wanna hear it!
A directional board can (it's not guaranteed) can be better at riding in different snow conditions. Some boards has a longer upturn nose with a slightly different shape which is better for riding in powder and for blasting through cruddy snow. At the same time, it can have a stiffer tail for better snap out of turns. A narrower tail (taper) also lets the tail sink more for better powder floatation and quicker release from turns. A setback stance is better for more control at higher speeds, and better floatation in powder (because your weight is already shift back).

A true twin is a tiny bit easier to ride and land switch - but it's not important below 540s in my opinion... maybe not even then. A Burton Fish is about as directional board as you can get, super setback, huge taper, and a cutout tail...


Last edited by lonerider; 11-22-2012 at 01:45 AM.
lonerider is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I like twins, just not that Sims Pristine.

Ya thanks bud...
NJMurtagh is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
A directional board can (it's not guaranteed) can be better at riding in different snow conditions. Some boards has a longer upturn nose with a slightly different shape which is better for riding in powder and for blasting through cruddy snow. At the same time, it can have a stiffer tail for better snap out of turns. A narrower tail (taper) also lets the tail sink more for better powder floatation and quicker release from turns. A setback stance is better for more control at higher speeds, and better floatation in powder (because your weight is already shift back).

A true twin is a tiny bit easier to ride and land switch - but it's not important below 540s in my opinion... maybe not even then. A Burton Fish is about as directional board as you can get, super setback, huge taper, and a cutout tail...

Thanks for the input! I guess I oughta try it out to really know how it is for me
NJMurtagh is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMurtagh View Post
I just bought my first board, it's a Sims Pristine true twin. I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of a twin vs a directional board. I've always rented gear, so I don't know for sure what I was riding before. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, I have control and I can carve well. I'd like to get into the terrain park eventually. Anyway, any input would be great!

Oh and please don't tell me I bought a crappy board or anything cause I don't wanna hear it!
Hi NJM,

True twin really (should) mean 3 things. Perfectly symetrical outline (from the true waist out to the tip and tail), Perfectly symetrical flex (from the true waist out to the tip and tail) and centerred inserts (no setback). A lot of boards that have twin in their description do not meet all of the above.

True twins can be majorly fun as play boards, park boards and general freestyle decks, but they do have limitations. boards with some setback and asymetrical flex are easier going for riding up over pow, crud etc. Sidecut shaping can be tweaked on directional decks to rip into hardpack better (with or without wavy edges).

Let us know a little more about the deck that you bought and we will be able to tell you more. There are still big differences between individual true twins.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wiredsport is online now  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a freeride guy and I really like true twin boards. Even though most say that they are for park & pipe, there is nothing like having that extra float performance when riding fakie through deep stuff.

=====
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
dynaweb is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaweb View Post
I am a freeride guy and I really like true twin boards. Even though most say that they are for park & pipe, there is nothing like having that extra float performance when riding fakie through deep stuff.
You do realize that just means float performance while riding normally is that much worse. It's always a tradeoff.
lonerider is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
You do realize that just means float performance while riding normally is that much worse. It's always a tradeoff.
Yeah, we get it dude. You like the boards you like. This guy wanted pro's and cons, and the perks of a true twin. You're just sounding like you think everyone else is wrong. Not flaming, just an observation
grafta is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Yeah, we get it dude. You like the boards you like. This guy wanted pro's and cons, and the perks of a true twin. You're just sounding like you think everyone else is wrong. Not flaming, just an observation
well each OP is a new person. Plus if you read my previous post I gave a much longer pro ovs con breakdown.

I think there are a lot of poseurs who give advice based on what they read from their computer chair instead of actual experience. That Is why I started to include videos of myself so people can see what kind of rider I am and then decide if in worth listening to.

If you spin 540 and switch 720 and say you prefer a true twins I will totally believe you. But if all you can do is a 180... then don't go recommending true twins with being truthful about your own abilities.

Same is true when talking about short vs long boards.
lonerider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome