5 Free Boards - White Friday Super Stoker! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My good friend is an aspiring chef who has been busting his a$$ working crazy hours at two jobs for several years now. He takes on (often double) shifts working as a lowly line cook, albeit at a restaurant owned by one of our local celebrity chefs. Then he works several nights a week as a bartender. Anybody who knows the industry will realize that he makes pennies at the restaurant, so he puts in something like 60hrs a week of grueling work on his feet all day/night. Luckily he did just finish culinary school last Summer which means at least he doesn't have all those hours of class and studying stacked on top of work. I'm hoping he makes it big some day, but it's a tough industry and it takes many many years of sh!t pay and no status to make it. He's super talented, but it will be at least a couple more years until he can reach sous chef status, and then who knows how many more to move above that.

So do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news is that he went up to the hill a few times with borrowed/rented gear and loves it. Better news is that he has an old 4x4 'Yota truck that can get him to the mountain. Bad news is that obviously he's broke and can't exactly afford to go buy a new setup. Worse news is that his gf of a years or so has been snowboarding for awhile, has all her own gear, and is way better than him.

He's a great guy, and definitely deserving of some goodwill. Would be amazing if he got some free gear so he can get up to the mountain more often and surpass his woman!!
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

ok, this would be for my little brother (23yrs old). This is the guy that is paying his dues. He went to college for 4yrs (which he is paying for cause my family doesnt come from money) and was accepted into the radiology program. Program had a two year wait. So in the mean time he gets a job at the local hospital as a nurse. At the same time my sister who just finished her degree in nursing also gets a job at the same hospital.

Now this is where you see what kind of guy my little brother is. After 3 months the hospital offiers him a position in another department but for a significant pay increase. He thanks them for the offer but his passion is radiology and knows he will be starting that program next year. So he tells them that his sister also works in the hospital and that she really is deserving of this type of promotion. They agree and she gets it.

Now he works his full time, shares an apartment with my sister who covers what ever he cant and continues to keep his head up, has never asked me for a dime and is just one of those guys.

I talk about snowboarding all the time and there is a hill right by where they live now that I plan to hit alot this year, and it would be great if I could get him out there. He doesnt get out much as you can expect.

So there's what I would do.
131441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

This board would be for my best friend or her son. My best friend just turned 30, her son is turning 11 y/o in January. Both are snowboarders. She legally seperated from a very physically and mentally abusive marriage about 9 months ago. They would break up pretty much every 6 months so he could go fuck some random girl. She was living in the house they just bought together, when her husband walked out on her for another woman which he met at work. So when he left (he literally packed up and when she came home there was NOTHING in the house, he even took everything from the fridge), she started her own hairstyling business from home (as a liscened hairdresser). She left to the store one day and came back about an hour later, just to find she couldnt get in her house. Locks were changed and everything. Her husband came back with the other woman and her kids and locked my best friend and her son out. This other woman took all of my best friends son's toys and gave it to her kids, and my friends ex husband burned/sold the rest of her stuff...

They are both avid boarders, her board and boots/bindings got sold. She lost her business. She is living at her parents house with her son so he can have a place to live. Both of them need some cheering up, and I would just love to get either one of them a snowboard. Thanks for taking the time to read this post!
Optikal_Illuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher_chik View Post
This board would be for my best friend or her son.
Are they from Innisfil? Sounds exactly like some x-friends of mine!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

How about stories about me working a full time job, going to school full time and being too broke to afford a new board for this year? . Really though very cool thing for a business to be doing, hope those boards make some people happy.
Whoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

My deserving soon-to-be-boarder would be my wife. She grew up at a local ski area (Stevens Pass) where her dad was in the Forest Service. She's an avid skiier who has dabbled in boarding a couple of times. When I was looking at gear at Evo, she tried on some boots and said "yeah, these feel a LOT different than my last set". We dug out her old gear (bought circa 2001, men's gear, size 157 board for a 5'7", 120 lbs female!) and I quickly realized why she had no fun on the board. Too many spills/caught edges. We have 2 1/2 year old twin boys and she doesn't get a lot of time to explore new things (let alone invest in something). Hoping a new board could spark her interest in exploring "the dark side"!
jchaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Are they from Innisfil? Sounds exactly like some x-friends of mine!
Well my best friend and her son live in the south end (barrie) now. She bought the house with her ex husband in Alliston, and she's back in Barrie now with her parents. The guy she's seeing/ hanging out with lives in Innisfil though about 5 mins from the beach.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would like to nominate my brother. He just finished busting his ass in University to be come a RN and now he is buried in student loads and such. He is now working as an ER Nurse in Cranbrook, BC, (a short drive to Fernie) saving lives! So just remember that is you get hurt riding at Fernie and get pulled out of the back country chances are you will be seeing my bro. If he gets out boarding he will better understand the injuries and thus take care of your broken ass just a little better! We are finally living close to one another after 5 years and I would love if I could get him setup to come boarding with me this winter. He is a good kid, would love the opportunity to get out with his bro and rip it up!

Thanks so much for this btw!

Last edited by atr3yu; 11-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.
atr3yu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
I would like to nominate my brother. He just finished busting his ass in University to be come a RN and now he is buried in student loads and such.
I feel for him... I graduated one year ago from env eng and still have almost 25k to pay off
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #30 (permalink)

Glad to see someone out there doing this for people. I bought a friend a used board last year and gave her younger brother my old board to get him started on the slopes. It really brings the family together when they are all out there on the slopes together.

Last edited by johnnymac; 11-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote