5 Free Boards - White Friday Super Stoker! - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
My good friend is an aspiring chef who has been busting his a$$ working crazy hours at two jobs for several years now. He takes on (often double) shifts working as a lowly line cook, albeit at a restaurant owned by one of our local celebrity chefs. Then he works several nights a week as a bartender. Anybody who knows the industry will realize that he makes pennies at the restaurant, so he puts in something like 60hrs a week of grueling work on his feet all day/night. Luckily he did just finish culinary school last Summer which means at least he doesn't have all those hours of class and studying stacked on top of work. I'm hoping he makes it big some day, but it's a tough industry and it takes many many years of sh!t pay and no status to make it. He's super talented, but it will be at least a couple more years until he can reach sous chef status, and then who knows how many more to move above that.

So do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news is that he went up to the hill a few times with borrowed/rented gear and loves it. Better news is that he has an old 4x4 'Yota truck that can get him to the mountain. Bad news is that obviously he's broke and can't exactly afford to go buy a new setup. Worse news is that his gf of a years or so has been snowboarding for awhile, has all her own gear, and is way better than him.

He's a great guy, and definitely deserving of some goodwill. Would be amazing if he got some free gear so he can get up to the mountain more often and surpass his woman!!
I am throwing in my vote for this guy if though my vote doesn't count for anything. I have worked as a line chef and the 60 hours a week for almost no pay is not exaggerated in the least. Being on the line is one of the hardest jobs out there. It is moving non-stop as fast as you can for hours at a time. I hope this guy is rewarded for sticking with his dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

I just started snowboarding and it is very costly, stoke a newb and help give life to someone who is stoked to shred
Mattizhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Loving it guys! Oe more day for entries and then we will choose the five winners. STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

Default My Buddy

This is great!!

I think the most deserving person I know for one of these boards is my lifelong buddy Steve. He has been on the mountain a couple of times and loved it. Life then got in the way. He has had two kids, then married the mother, lost jobs, got new jobs, lost another job, and since then I have gotten him a job at my workplace. He has struggled to provide for his family and has a love for snowboarding but cannot afford to purchase a board. All of his money goes towards providing for the kids. I was going to give him my super old morrow beater board (extremely torn up) but would be free, so that he could start riding again and enjoying a passion that he has been unable to for years. A new board would do wonders for him and he is an awesome human being.

Sorry for the sob story-- but he really does deserve this
jbernste03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
I am throwing in my vote for this guy if though my vote doesn't count for anything. I have worked as a line chef and the 60 hours a week for almost no pay is not exaggerated in the least. Being on the line is one of the hardest jobs out there. It is moving non-stop as fast as you can for hours at a time. I hope this guy is rewarded for sticking with his dream.
Even if he doesn't win anything, I appreciate the support too! I know there's absolutely no way I could handle the crazy stress and non-stop pace of working in a kitchen environment (except maybe as a dishwasher lol). For those that can, like you and my buddy, I think the opportunity to get out of the city and head into the mountains for a day here and there is so crucial for quality of life and just to maintain sanity!!
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Even if he doesn't win anything, I appreciate the support too! I know there's absolutely no way I could handle the crazy stress and non-stop pace of working in a kitchen environment (except maybe as a dishwasher lol). For those that can, like you and my buddy, I think the opportunity to get out of the city and head into the mountains for a day here and there is so crucial for quality of life and just to maintain sanity!!
I was a chef in a smaller pub for a while. No line cooks, just prep work in the day when the other chefs were cooking, and then I was on my own!!! I'm glad I did that job but probably never again. Learned some great tricks though so it's actually made daily life easier.

My vote goes for kitchen guy too! lol (and my neighbour of course, he needs to get out more)
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

I'd like to throw in my little brother for a board. He's a great kid. He's 16 years old. I'm 30. I've lived away from him for most of his life, though I did get to see him often enough to have a good relationship with him. I'm extremely proud of him. He has his head on straight and it shows. Unfortunately the 14 year age difference hasn't gave us a lot in common for us to do or a reason to hang out outside of visiting. Except this year now that I've moved back home for good I'm making sure that I commit the time for us to hang out and have a fun despite our age. Cue snowboarding!!! This past weekend I took him up the mountain to the local shop and bought him the best outerwear I could afford for him. We are totally pumped about learning and attacking the mountain together. I don't have enough money to buy either of us a board but I plan on renting boards for us when we go. If he had his own that would allow us to afford to go more often. Either way, we will get to shred together and I'm stoked about it.
Fuelrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So for this I am going to throw in two entries. The first is for me. I need a new ride in a bad way and am lucky if I can afford gas to get to the lift most of the time, let alone a new ride. I support my daughter, her grandmother, her mother (aka: my ex), and her baby brother (aka: my ex's other kid). I don't talk about any of this stuff much, and I'm not out looking for handouts by any means, but winning a brand new board would be so sweet. I get my chances here and there to get things for myself, but they are almost always used. Christmas is coming and this would be the raddest present ever to get, especially since I know that none of the non-working people in my household (aka: everyone but me) will be able to get me anything for the holiday other than a big thank you for taking care of them all.

My second entry, and the one that is more pertinent to this contest probably, is for my best friend's wife. She is always hating it when I try to get my buddy out to ride, because she wants to learn so badly, but they cannot afford to rent her equipment. I got her some brand new boots off of Craigslist, and she has some hand me down outerwear, but she has no board. Winning this would be awesome for her, and by default, for me, because then I can finally ride with my buddy, without me or him taking a bunch of heat for it.

Anyway, thanks WiredSport for having such an awesome contest! STOKED!
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #39 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would like to nominate my cousin's wife. My cousin has drug/alcohol issues along with a chemical imbalance. He left his wife on a whim (not thinking straight due to mental issues) and has been pretty cruel to her = verbally abusive. He has also locked her out of the banking account and left her high and dry after she spent years sacrificing/working in order to put him through school. She has little education. They are now bankrupt due to his lifestyle choices. She has 2 young children and one of them has incredibly bad autism. The other is hyperactive. They are currently living seperately, she is doing everything she can to keep the marriage going - taking him to the doctors when he decides to show up and remains encouraging. She believes in the principals of marriage and is giving him every opportunity in the world to make a change for the better. The children are with her and he shows up on weekends when he is feeling ok. She can't work as her autistic kid needs care 24/7. I gave her kid a snowboard to help them out, but she is in need of her own board so she can take him out and experience a little peace from the insanity of it all. She will be able to take the children to the local hill as I will help them out (lift tickets fairly cheap) , but has no money for her own snowboard. She is such a giving person and it would be fantastic to see her face light up if she was to receive such a present. I will be more than happy to pay any shipping charges to Canada.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #40 (permalink)

I don't have anyone to nominate, life happens..

but i'll take a free board if you got extra!

Loveland: 1
Keystone: 4
Breckenridge: 4
Vail: 2
Beaver Creek: 0
Arapahoe Basin: 4
Copper: 0
Winter Park: 0
Alyeska: 3
dopamean is offline   Reply With Quote