Beginner tuning board help!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Beginner tuning board help!!

I am starting snowboarding this year and I have everything I need. I want to tune/wax my own board but don't know if I should attempt it with being a beginner. Ive been doing lots of research and videos about how to do it. I was going to try to hold out to either later this season or next year, but REI has the Dakine Deluxe Tune kit, which is everything I need except an iron for $36! Do you guys think I can and should start tuning my own gear?

Thanks!
apayne1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

There's 8,000,142,234,755 threads about this! Don't be afraid, it's not some mad scientist thing. You're just melting some wax onto a flat surface, spreading it around, and then scraping it off.

The only way you could really hurt anything is be leaving the iron in one spot for too long (keep it moving ALWAYS) or having the iron too hot (smoke is a bad sign).

Otherwise, giv'er shit!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Another ? Is it worth it to tune my own board? I'm not planning on riding to much so would only bring it into shop like once a year. And I'm really don't want to spend any more money on snowboarding right now....
Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dude....
get an iron
get yourself a cabinet scraper
get some wax
And simply give it a try!
Like was said before, you shouldn't be able to damage the board unless you leave the iron on it to long.

If you don't like the wax job, scrap it off and repeat!

Last edited by Powhound97; 11-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Powhound97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks OutdoorFreak, never really looked at just doing that to start out with, defiantly will help me!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yup, glad to help

When I said iron, I mean an actual wax iron, don't use the old ladies clothing iron unless your planing on sleeping on the couch

I used a wax block, not bees wax
Get ski/snowboard wax!
Just make sure when your applying the wax you evenly do it on the board, if you get bumps of wax all over the board, don't worry the iron will melt them down

You don't want to have any low spots either, look at the board under good light and see if you have any
If you do, wait for the wax the harden and fill the hole with wax and iron and scrap it.

After you get-ER-done, go shred some gnar!!
Powhound97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ive heard and read many "arguments" about using a cloths iron, I'm still undecided what I want to do. Why do you say not to use one? Everybody has different experiences.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by apayne1233 View Post
Ive heard and read many "arguments" about using a cloths iron, I'm still undecided what I want to do. Why do you say not to use one? Everybody has different experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorFreak97 View Post
When I said iron, I mean an actual wax iron, don't use the old ladies clothing iron unless your planing on sleeping on the couch
He just means once you use a clothes iron for wax it's now a wax iron and if you live with some sort of female you'd now owe her an iron. I use an old clothes iron with no problem, it takes about 10 mins of trial and error to find the right temp (melts wax readily but doesn't smoke or discolour the wax) and then it's every bit as good as a "wax" iron. Case closed. Go go gadget BEER!

I had a killer day at Lake Louise today so I'm FUCKING STOKED! Pardon me everybody. It's past my beer time.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Go for it! I started tuning my board myself last season & haven't looked back. The 1st time I went super slow, but after that it's been pretty quick & the ability to wax/tune whenever needed (such as riding slush & destroying the wax job done the day before) is pretty priceless. That brick of wax will go a long way!
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote