Best affordable 'twin rocker' board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best affordable 'twin rocker' board?

Affordable = not Never Summer or Libtech. I came to the conclusing that the boards I was lusting for are out of my league, probably both in terms of skill level as in terms of $$$.

Here's what I came up with so far, all boards that are available in a local-ish webshop:

Drake DF2: Haven't found too many reviews or tests yet.
Nitro Subzero Hotwing: Came across a couple really negative reviews of Nitro's 'gulwing' profile.
Forum Youngblood Doubledog: Seems to be more park oriented, not sure if's perfect for hardpack/pow.
Smokin Superpark CTX: Dito. Maybe dispite the name it'll hold it's own all across the mountain?
Forum Destroyer Doubledog: Don't see much difference with the youngblood
Apo MTD: It's supposed to be an allmountain freestyle board, but it only gets a 5 and a 6 on Apo's own carving and powder scale.

Experiences and opinionins would be very much appreciated, as well as other suggestions.

I'm mainly after an all mountain freestyle board, not just a park/jib stick. Preferably a true twin, but that's not a must. Light weight, flexible, but still something I can depend on in pow and mainly hardpack and icy groomers, where I'll spend most of my time. Basicaly something like the NS SL or Libtech TRS, only a lot less pricey

Thanks a lot, and srry about the semi cross post
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

what about last years NSs or lib techs?
pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

how much $ is "affordable"?
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
what about last years NSs or lib techs?
Gnu Carbon Credit. Hard to find better bang for your buck if you're looking for rockered all-mountain twin. Just playful enough to be serviceable in the park but not so loose that it doesn't hold a good edge for all-mountain, carving, etc. There might be a few 2012's floating around on the internet still, last I saw they were going for like $240. Brand new 2013 is $399.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Gnu Carbon Credit. Hard to find better bang for your buck if you're looking for rockered all-mountain twin. Just playful enough to be serviceable in the park but not so loose that it doesn't hold a good edge for all-mountain, carving, etc. There might be a few 2012's floating around on the internet still, last I saw they were going for like $240. Brand new 2013 is $399.
Erm, no. The OP is looking for a hybrid camber deck, not a rocker board.

To address the original question: I would go with the Superpark - it is like an upgraded/improved version of the TRS. And Magnetraction helps on East Coast ice.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post

To address the original question: I would go with the Superpark - it is like an upgraded/improved version of the TRS. And Magnetraction helps on East Coast ice.
Thanks. My last half hour of googling for info basicly brings me to the same conclusing about the superpark. Turns out that deck has an impressive reputation. Usually prices for american boards are considerably higher here in Europe though, so I'm still curious about some of those others boards I mensioned.

449Euro for a superpark isn't THAT much of a killer deal imo, almost all those other ones in my little list are about hundred euro cheaper:s

Last edited by Thom; 11-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Carbon credit is BTX. Rocker center with mild camber out towards the tips. It's not full camber.
JoeBuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Erm... although he listed a bunch of hybrids, the title of OP's post indicates he's looking for a rocker board so, pardon my oversight and/or confusion here.

Quote:
Best affordable 'twin rocker' board?
As JoeBuer notes, there's *kind of* a hybrid on the BTX but I would still consider it really a full rocker. From Mervin,

Quote:
Rocker between your feet blended with flat-to-mild camber to contact points
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Adding the Gnu carbon credit to the list, thanks. Cheapest of the bunch, especially out of the ones with some sort of fancy technology

Found a webshop that has a 153 carbon credit for 252Euro, which to european standards -trust me- is a steal. I wasn't too sure at first when I read about the 'nearly flat camber' area on the outsides, but since the next best thing would easily cost me 150 more, I can't afford NOT to take this deal in serious consideration. I think it's supposed to be an entry level board though, right? Nothing wrong with that, but in all honesty, I don't consider myself a novice, and I plan on hanging on to this board for as long as possible...So it might make more sense not to be a cheapskate and to spend a little more on something that's supposed to be an advanced/expert board. What is it exactly that makes the carbon credit a beginners deck though? A lot of noob questions, I know. It's the first time I have to worry about this, I'm totally clueless when it comes to equipment.

Anyone know where I can find a drawing/pic/whatever that shows exactly what the profile of the Carbon copy looks like? Like which lib tech board has the same shape? Thanks.

Last edited by Thom; 11-24-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Anyone know where I can find a drawing/pic/whatever that shows exactly what the profile of the Carbon copy looks like? Like which lib tech board has the same shape? Thanks.
Ask and you shall receive! Skate Banana and Box Scratcher use this shape.

You can see in the drawing that it's definitely not a flat rocker. There's the rocker in the center and then from the inserts out it starts out 'flat' in the sense that there is no curvature to this portion of the board although it continues upwards towards the contact points where it blends the very mild camber curvature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BTX.JPG (68.3 KB, 165 views)