Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Ever buy a board that is classified as a "demo" board. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51506-ever-buy-board-classified-demo-board.html)

eschen515 11-24-2012 05:43 PM

Ever buy a board that is classified as a "demo" board.
 
Capita sells their demo boards, and i'm thinking of getting one, at the price point of about $250 I dont mind if its a little used, but I dont like used and abused. I'm looking for a little insight on this situation.

Thanks :)

david_z 11-24-2012 06:03 PM

Most of them should be, according to C3 at least, in pretty good shape.

Basically the "discount" you're getting is the price of the warranty, which you're not getting. Saving $150+ on a nearly new board is pretty good. Chances are that you won't wreck it, anyways. OTOH, if you're the type of guy who goes through 2 or 3 boards a season, you might want to hold off on pulling the trigger on a board with no warranty.

eschen515 11-24-2012 06:12 PM

I still have my 09 Rome Crail in fantastic condition, it would still be like new if it wasnt for the shitty snow in CO last year. I road over a few rocks and tree branches.

david_z 11-24-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschen515 (Post 542981)
I still have my 09 Rome Crail in fantastic condition, it would still be like new if it wasnt for the shitty snow in CO last year. I road over a few rocks and tree branches.

it's always nice to have a plan "b" but still would suck if the board broke as you wouldn't be able to warranty it.

So I guess that's the risk you've gotta weigh: you can pay $250 for a board with no warranty that most likely won't break or defect anyways, or you can pay $400+ for a board with a warranty (that most likely won't break or defect anyways).

From a strictly financial POV, paying $150 for "insurance" (that's what a warranty is, really) on a $400 board is asinine. But almost all of us do it, because the warranty price is built in to the price of new/unused boards and there aren't any other options.

AcroPhile 11-24-2012 08:59 PM

Sure, buying a demo board is kind of like buying a car that used to be a rental in a past life. You know it has been ridden hard and without any regard for some rocks that may be poking through the surface of the snow. But hey, if the price is right, it sounds like a good excuse to add another board to the quiver. I'd feel a lot better about taking a previously demoed board through an area with questionable snow coverage rather than a brand new board that I just shelled out $400-600 for.

Mattizhere 11-24-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschen515 (Post 542981)
I still have my 09 Rome Crail in fantastic condition, it would still be like new if it wasnt for the shitty snow in CO last year. I road over a few rocks and tree branches.

what do u think about the rome crail? on going fast and etc? i am thinking about bringing mine to tahoe

eschen515 11-25-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattizhere (Post 543024)
what do u think about the rome crail? on going fast and etc? i am thinking about bringing mine to tahoe


I find that the board flys, im constantly having to slow up for my friends on the mountain and i'm not even trying to go fast. I'm from the midwest but went to CO last winter and was worried the Crail wouldn't be up to the task but the board was great, I was glad I didn't shell out $400 for a new one.

eschen515 11-25-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcroPhile (Post 543015)
Sure, buying a demo board is kind of like buying a car that used to be a rental in a past life. You know it has been ridden hard and without any regard for some rocks that may be poking through the surface of the snow. But hey, if the price is right, it sounds like a good excuse to add another board to the quiver. I'd feel a lot better about taking a previously demoed board through an area with questionable snow coverage rather than a brand new board that I just shelled out $400-600 for.

Capita gives them a condition rating on a scale of ten, the board im looking at, The green machine has an 8, but im considering the Nas because its cheaper and has a 9.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2